This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eating Just Vegtables, Fruit And Meat

Tigger18

Tigger18 Apprentice

Hi Everyone!

I was diagnosed back in June and have gained a lot of weight since then. I never lost weight due to Celiac, I was asymptomatic and steadily gained weight for about six months (35 lbs) before I was diagnosed. I was having many celiac symptoms and had 3 positive blood tests but my gastro still did not want to biopsy because he was convinced I couldn't have celiac because i was not losing weight. FINALLY the biopsy was done and was positive.

Anyway, I would very much like to lose weight because I am unhappy at my current size. However, I just can't seem to eliminate rice and corn from my diet. I would love to eat just vegetables and meat like people suggest but I honestly don't know what I would eat.

I am 20 years old and in college so it is hard to cook a good lunch and dinner everyday. I was a vegetarian for 10 years so adding back in meat has been hard, but a necessary challenge. Since it is hard for me to eat meat, the only way to get myself to consume it is by having turkey or chicken in a rice bread sandwich. Basically I'm saying it is hard for me to eat meat without incorporating a fattening grain in some form.

If you eat rice and corn but monitor your calorie consumption to the point where you should be losing weight at a healthy rate, shouldn't you lose the weight despite the rice/corn?

What is a typical day of eating in the life of someone who avoids rice and corn and typically eats meat, vegetables and fruit?

Sorry for the long post!!!

Thank you!!

-Dana

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tiffjake Enthusiast

Hi Dana! Welcome to the board!

I, too, need to lose weight. I am doing weight watchers, kinda....LOL! One if the biggest things is cutting back on sugar, since you are already pretty grain free, right? I don't think rice is bad (fattening) if you are having brown rice, and not too often. I think you should be find with ONE sandwich a day. Then how about stir fry for dinner? There is some great gluten-free cereal out there, and you could do that for breakfast. Or just fruit!

If you are counting calories, the surgars and fat will be what to watch in your food. So by just eliminating high cal, high fat, then you will take in fewer cals.

There are meals, like Thai Kitchen, that are gluten-free, and you just add hot water! They have rice noodles, so if you are avoiding rice, then that might not work, but if you need a quick and easy college meal, those are great!

I am sure you are probably sick of salads, but you can do fruit salads, gluten-free pasts salads, and regular lettuce salads.

And adding nuts, nut butters, beans, and some veggies, will add protien, so you don't have to eat so much meat. I was once a vegan, so I understand your weird feeling about eating meat again!

Welcome to the board! TiffJake

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Hi. I don't eat grains at all. Here's an example of my day's food intake:

BREKKERS:

2 or 3 poached eggs over sauteed veggies like chard, beet greens, asparagus, etc.

OR

scramble with onions, brocoli, etc.

(in other words, veggies and eggs)

LUNCH:

meat rollups. Okay, lunch meat is not the best meat, but it's organic and gluten-free, and I'm new back to meat as well, so it's a good compromise. On it I put mustard, sometimes raw sauerkraut which is really great for your skin and your bowels, avocado, onion, lettuce, whatever you like.

(in other words, meat and veggies)

DINNER:

salmon or hamburger patty or chicken or grass-fed beef or something

and veggies --

OR

protein source (see above) and salad.

Now granted, all day long I'm also eating trail mix that I make at home from walnuts, sunflower seeds, dried cherries, raisins, prunes, figs, etc. I also snack on apples with almond or walnut butter; bananas; and more meat rollups.

The interesting "problem" with the diet is that we're used to feeling "full" or some kind of starchy pasta type full. You can handle this by eating sweet potato, though I eat very little of it at this point (makes good french fries) and making winter squash soups, or "cream" of cauliflower soup type things. You get used to having the feeling of full being different - more like a lack of hunger than a sensation of full.

When I started on this diet, I was losing 1/2 pound a day, probably - well, that is with also having zero sugar - I was only using stevia. For a while I went off fruit altogether to try to kill off yeast, and that took the weight off even faster (Body Ecology Diet) - but the goal there is to kill yeast and then get back to eating fruit and such.

To me the challenges are feeling bored after a while - not having things to "soak up sauce" like we're used to (though spaghetti squash works there), and eating out. Eating out i just get a piece of fish grilled with salt and pepper on top of a huge salad. I actually like it, but sometimes the wait staff look at you funny.

I've had really good luck with this. Oh, it also includes not eating beans, and obviously no dairy. the only milk substitute without beans/grains/or dairy is almond milk. It's pretty good, though once you're off grains, what would you eat it on (besides tea lattes)? Watch for gluten - pacific makes gluten-free.

You can ask me more if you like. I did just get back from vacation in Montana where I ended up cheating on the grains thing a bit (in the form of rice milk tea lattes - which meant I was also cheating on the sugar), and it did not adversely affect me - so it's not like I lost the ability to digest the stuff. Now that I'm home, I need to get back on track.

If you have a library near you that has the book "Paleo Diet for Athletes", you might check out the part where it shows the vitamins and minerals and which foods they're richest in - almost exclusively, it's vegetables. Most of the book is annoying and about hard core athletic training, but the part about the nutri3ents was interesting. I should just dig it up and type it out for you. I'll do that this weekend. So not eating grains, though against the "grain" of what most folks think is right, is probably not too dangerous, so long as you're making sure you're eating really intelligently.

-Sherri

Sweetfudge Community Regular

I would like to echo the other posts here and just say that eating lots of veggies is the best thing you can do! Eggs are another thing to try if you don't have a hard time with them, cuz they're great with a lot of things! My favorite is scrambled with veggies and salsa, served with some hash browned potatoes on the side.

To keep yourself from feeling "starving" all the time, eat proteins (I love munching on a handful of nuts every so often) and drink LOTS of water (like, at least 8 cups). That helps me to feel less hungry throughout the day. I carry a water bottle around with me to help me hydrate throughout the day rather than just drinking at meals.

Soups are another great filling meal. Even just a chicken soup with veggies in it is good. I got the idea from the board members here to buy chicken legs (which are so cheap!) and make my own broth. It's lasted several meals, and is so good! I also have a GREAT butternut squash soup recipe if you want! Oh, but it uses milk. Don't know if almond milk would work...

Oh, and the Blue Diamond brand of almond milk is wonderful! I always have a carton of the chocolate milk in my fridge. I love to put it in the blender with some ice for a great smoothie-like drink, or just drink it with my meals.

I think the key for you is just to find balance in making sure you're eating all of the foods you need to eat to feel satisfied and healthy. Good luck to you!

RiceGuy Collaborator

Interestingly, prunes can help you loose weight. Here's some good info to explain why: Open Original Shared Link

That site has lots of valuable info, and I use it quite a lot.

Nancym Enthusiast

Unfortunately for many of us, eating starches like rice and corn causes us to eat too much. It makes your blood sugar high, which causes you to produce a surge of insulin, which then causes your blood sugar to drop quickly and go too low. That stimulates you to eat again. It is a terrible, vicious circle. Not only that, but grains are very addictive. To me at least, it is hard for me to control my portions.

I strongly recommend that you look into a paleo diet. And I recommend the cookbook called "Garden of Eating". Granted it wasn't easy making the transition but now that I have it is SO much easier to maintain my weight (and even lose). I'm not battling terrible hunger and blood sugar issues.

If you can't find it in yourself to give up those starches then you should work hard on increasing your protein consumption. Eat more eggs and meat. Protein causes you to produce more CCK and PYY hormones which turn off the appetite. Google it, there has been some research about those very recently.

SylvanArrow Newbie
What is a typical day of eating in the life of someone who avoids rice and corn and typically eats meat, vegetables and fruit?

I do a lot of grilling, stir frying, and making of big stews in the slow cooker. Slow cookers are cheap and probably okay in dorm rooms. If a hot plate is allowed, get one. Just remember your very distant ancestors made this diet work in a cave over a cook fire, so you can probably do it in college. :) The Grain-free Gourmet is a decent cookbook (love the apple harvest stew) and there are also some recipes in the Paleo Diet and the Paleo Diet for Athletes. Go easy on the nuts if weight loss is a goal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

I'm following paleo diet, which is pretty close to just fruits, veggies and meat.

I make a lot of Thai curries, I start with curry paste (made from garlic, chilis and what not) I get online. Then I add veggies and meat (usually chicken). I eat it like a stew or serve it over steamed broccoli. Coconut milk is an important ingredient to have onhand.

The other staple is chicken. I get a whole one, butterfly it and put a delicious spice rub on it, then I broil it. Fantastic!

And I do a lot of pork roasts. Again, I use a rub and cook them in the oven at low heat for hours and hours.

For breakfast I often just have leftovers. But sometimes I make "sweet omelets". Basically I take eggs and combine a bit of sweetener (I deviate from paleo and use artificial sweetener) and add spices and maybe some nuts and raisins. My favorites are: Faux Cinnabon (tons of cinnamon, raisins, maybe nuts like almonds). Or one made with fresh nutmeg and maybe topped with lemon curd (an egg custard).

jerseyangel Proficient

Nancym, could you tell me how you do your pork roast? :)

Nancym Enthusiast

Better yet, I have a recipe I can point you to!

Open Original Shared Link. It is a cured pork shoulder recipe from the executive chef at The Fish House, fantastic restaurant in Vancouver, CA.

And here is a greek rub that is good on everything: Open Original Shared Link So far I omit the cornstarch and boullion (didn't have it on hand) and the cinnamon/nutmeg. This I just rub onto whatever I'm cooking (roast, chicken, etc) and I don't marinate or wash off (like you would a cure). So if you wanted a pork shoulder roast, you'd follow the directions in the other recipe for cooking times and temperature, but use this rub.

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks! That rub looks good. I'll omit the oregano (don't care for it) and use potato starch in place of the cornstarch.

I have a pork roast in the freezer, and I plan to try it this way--thanks again :)

Nancym Enthusiast

Let me know how it comes out!

I bought a turkey breast last night. I'm thinking... a rosemary heavy rub. Or actually, maybe I'll brine it overnight.

Guest AutumnE

I dont count calories at all and am losing very fast at 3 to 4 lbs a week. Some weeks are nothing but I figure its my body adjusting to the weight loss. I cut out grains, potatoes and corn. No beans (including peanuts) and I'll be cutting out dairy also soon. Just any kind of veggies (besides listed) meat and fruit as much as I want. When I add in potatoes, grains or dairy weight kinda comes to a stand still.

I hate counting out all the calories so its easy and cheaper than all the processed food. Plus its the only kind of gluten free food dh likes. I cant do eggs I get horrible gas from them. Dh appreciates when I avoid them ;)

Tigger18 Apprentice

Thank you so much for all of the replies!!!

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I didn't have an internet connection in my new apartment yet!

I have so much to read now, thank you! I think I will go to the bookstore tomorrow and get a paleo diet book!

What do you guys think about "healthier" grains, such as; buckwheat, quinoa (my new fav) etc? Should I avoid them too?

If i count my calories and still have some grain in my diet (rice and quinoa mainly) shouldn't i still lose weight despite the grain just from consumer fewer net calories?

OK, one more question :)

I was a vegitarian for years and eating meat is hard for me, but it is time to step up to the plate! I am a baby when it comes to handling raw chicken/fish etc. and cooking it. Do you guys know of any precooked fresh or frozen chicken or fish that is gluten free that I can simply heat up? Do have any suggestions of where to buy and quickly prepare it?

Thank you!!!!!!!!

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I was veggie for sixteen years, and recently started eating meat again. I started with lunch meat. I get Applegate Farms.

While I was veggie, i cooked for hubby who wasn't veggie, so I'm used to handling raw meat...and my dog eats raw meat as well, so there's that.

I don't know about cooked stuff, other than lunch meat and hotdogs (both not exactly the "best" when it comes to meat).

Nancym Enthusiast

The reasons for not allowing grains on the Paleo diet is that they include lectins which bind to nutrients and they tend to be antigenic (cause autoimmune responses). If you're going to follow paleo then those aren't allowed. However, I find I'm ok if I have an occassional grain treat. Although corn is really not good for me, it usually makes me pretty sick.

ianm Apprentice
What do you guys think about "healthier" grains, such as; buckwheat, quinoa (my new fav) etc? Should I avoid them too?

Buckwheat is my favorite. I find that it doesn't cause me any weight gain or blood sugar spikes like other grains do. I eat mostly fruits, veggies and meat with some dairy and nuts thrown in. Buckwheat is very high in protien and fiber.

Mayflowers Contributor
I cut out grains, potatoes and corn. No beans (including peanuts) and I'll be cutting out dairy also soon. Just any kind of veggies (besides listed) meat and fruit as much as I want. When I add in potatoes, grains or dairy weight kinda comes to a stand still.

I was thinking of going on a vegan diet, then I realized I wouldn't get enough protein becuase I can't tolerate beans or grains. My weight starts creeping upward! I was back on vegetables and fish and no dairy. Fish gets tired quick so I cracked and bought some red meat (lamb, liver) but I added potatoes this week and my weight did not budge! Well, at least I didn't gain. I need to lose 40 pounds. Since I went gluten free in August I lost a big 4 pounds. I have to say I'm not very active recovering from a broken ankle though. This week I'm giving up the potatoes. I was also cheating eating cheese...I love cheese.. If the potatoes don't work, I'll give up the cheese too...

Shalia Apprentice

I'm confused. So many of you say you are avoiding corn and potatoes. Aren't they vegetables, not grains? *lost*

I need to get on the bandwagon and lose a LOT of weight. :( Sounds like you guys have a good way of doing it, I'd just like to do it *right*.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I don't eat potatoes because they are a nightshade (along with peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, and tobacco). They don't agree with me, AND they suck calcium out of your bones to digest if need be. So unless you eat them with calcium rich foods, look out.

I don't eat corn because it's virtually worthless. It's one of those veggie/grain type foods, depending on when you get it for eating. Sweet corn is considered a veggie, field corn might be what they call the "grain". Nonetheless, corn is a grain or if eaten as a vegetable, is just high in sugar.

I'm not trying to lose weight, but that's why I avoid those two. They are also both high allergen foods - corn more than potato. Corn, dairy, soy, wheat, nuts...

Shalia Apprentice
I don't eat potatoes because they are a nightshade (along with peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, and tobacco). They don't agree with me, AND they suck calcium out of your bones to digest if need be. So unless you eat them with calcium rich foods, look out.

I don't eat corn because it's virtually worthless. It's one of those veggie/grain type foods, depending on when you get it for eating. Sweet corn is considered a veggie, field corn might be what they call the "grain". Nonetheless, corn is a grain or if eaten as a vegetable, is just high in sugar.

I'm not trying to lose weight, but that's why I avoid those two. They are also both high allergen foods - corn more than potato. Corn, dairy, soy, wheat, nuts...

I didn't know that about them leeching calcium. That's a bit scary! *sniffles* But I *like* potatoes. :(

Maybe I can make it a rare treat thing instead of a regular thing like it is now.

It's scary what I don't know about nutrition.

Makes sense on the corn, though.

Thanks! :)

RiceGuy Collaborator

I've been reading how B12 deficiency is common among Celiacs, and that it is very important for proper utilization of proteins, carbohydrates and fats. So I'm wondering if this has something to do with why so many on this board seem to find it difficult to digest beans, grains, and generally high carb and/or high fat foods. The one exception may be meats, which of course would also supply some B12. So maybe when you eat meat you have the B12 to go along with it and deal with the protein content, but a general lacking of B12 would spell trouble for those other foods.

Does this make sense?

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Sure sounds possible. I was getting B12 shots, but then my B12 tested through the roof - plus, they weren't helping with my fatigue anyway. I do take sublingual tablets that are HUGE and have folate...the pills aren't huge, the B12 is in huge amounts -- just to be sure.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I don't think it's necessary to remove all grains (if you're not intolerant of them), but portion size is *crucial* and nutrient density is as well. Rice bread... isn't a winner. It's got a lot of calories without much nutrition, and it's mostly simple carbs that spike your blood sugar, leading to a crash a little while later. Not a great thing when trying to lose weight. Corn tortillas are better, as they use the whole kernel of the corn, though I'd go easy on those as well. The more nutritious grains you mention - quinoa and buckwheat (and millet), have a good mix of fat/protein/fiber that - IF used in moderation - I think can be fine.

BUT it's hard, in today's world, to know what moderation is. Have you ever measured out a cup of cooked rice? It's WAY smaller than you'd think! I would *definitely* ecourage you to get a scale and measuring cups and measure portions for a while to get a feel for what portions REALLY are. I found it very useful in understanding how much I eat and how much we fool ourselves about how much we think we eat.

emcmaster Collaborator

I might add that if you're eating the paleolithic way, you need to be careful that you're getting adequate calories. Over time, if you're eating less than your BMR, your metabolism will slow down to compensate, making weight gain inevitable if you ever start eating more.

Just a thought. I know that when I eat paleolithic-ally, I barely consume 1000 calories a day.

Archived