32 replies to this topic

#1 Trish in Canada

Trish in Canada

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:27 AM

O.K. so I ate a bowlful of cheetos yesterday and got a fairly minor skin reaction within 1-2hours later. Previously I had a full body DH rash for about 7 months. The rash went away when I went gluten-free. Every once and awhile I accidently eat something that triggers a skin reaction. This time it was cheetos. I thought the ingredients were safe. I'm not sure anymore. About 2 1/2 months ago I had cheetos and had the same reaction but, at that time, I thought it was caused by something else (something that definately had gluten in it). I was dairy-free up until a week ago when I decided to start consuming lactose free milk products. I was fine all week. So I decided to try the cheetos to test about lactose. I didn't have any bowel or stomach reactions. I'm not sure if you can have a skin reaction to lactose? I know it's not a reaction to casien because I've been consuming lactose free milk all week with no skin or bowel problems. I've been eating corn tortillas all week, so I know it's not corn either.

I'm confused, so I need your help. Is there anything that would trigger a reoccurence of DH in this list of ingredients? Too much salt? (iodine?) Can anyone find a possible hidden gluten source in this list of ingredients? I've only been gluten free since May, so I'm still learning.

Cheetos Ingredients:
Enriched cornmeal (cornmeal, iron, niacin, thiamine, riboflavin, folic acid) Vegetable oil. Seasoning (Whey, cheddar cheese, sour cream, artificial flavour, MSG, Lactic acid, colour, citric acid) salt.

Thank you,

Trish

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:33 AM

Cheetos Ingredients:
Enriched cornmeal (cornmeal, iron, niacin, thiamine, riboflavin, folic acid) Vegetable oil. Seasoning (Whey, cheddar cheese, sour cream, artificial flavour, MSG, Lactic acid, colour, citric acid) salt.

Thank you,

Trish

Those ingredients look ok for gluten. Do you have any other allergies? Is there a reason you went off dairy? Aside from dairy (cheddar cheese, sour cream and whey) you have a lot of msg sources (msg, artificial flavor and citric acid, possibly color). The vegetable oil could be causing problems depending on what was used (possibly soy).

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#3 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:59 AM

Cheetohs, at least in the US, are gluten free. They are made on the same lines that the glutenous stuff is made on though. They scrub the lines, but there's a possibility of CC. They're also made in the same facility as wheat products, so CC is possible there too. Perhaps though you are having a reaction to something else in the Cheetohs OR was someone (who had eaten gluten) sharing the bowl with you or had their hands in the bag previously?
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#4 Trish in Canada

Trish in Canada

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:02 AM

Thanks AndreaB and Guhlia. I fugured it out, I think...

Right after I posted I ate some rice and drank some lactose free milk. It's the first thing I've eaten all day. Now I know it's definately the dairy that's causing the problems. I have a stomach ache and I'm coughing and congested. I'll probably get hives soon. NO MORE DAIRY FOR ME!!! I was off of dairy because I thought I might be allergic to it. I started drinking milk again to test if I had a problem. I guess I was in denial about the milk. No bowel problems all week but I did have terrible gas, lol.

Grrrr... I like dairy too!!! I miss cheese. Most soy cheese has casien in the ingredient list. Oh well back to soy milk, bleck :P

#5 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:15 AM

I have a recipe thread I've started that has gluten, dairy and mostly soy free recipes.

http://www.glutenfre...showtopic=23795

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#6 Lymetoo

Lymetoo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:45 AM

Maybe the MSG?
Negative biopsy for celiac 1980
Fibromyalgia 1980
IBS 1980
Interstitial Cystitis 1992
Systemic yeast
Diagnosed w/ Chronic Lyme Disease 2000
Diagnosed w/ Chronic babesia 2000
Tachycardia 2001
Asthma 2005
Have had Lyme and babesia for
about 48 yrs.

Began gluten-free July 19 '06
Native TEXAN living in Missouri

#7 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:40 AM

I had pretty significant D from the two times I ate cheetos....I am pretty sure it's the MSG - evil stuff and I completely avoid it now.
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

#8 jayhawkmom

jayhawkmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:39 PM

I've become really anal about reading ALL ingredients prior to letting my daughter have ANYTHING... and as proof positive that we need to read ingredients EVERY SINGLE TIME.... the last package of cheetos we purchased had a "contains wheat" statement on it.

I was very surprised, honestly. But, I didn't let her eat them. I currently have about 20 snack sized bags in a box in my kitchen, and not one of them has that on them. But, because of that ONE time.... I will not let her eat them.

Of course, I'm *trying* to keep her away from all dairy too, so they'd be off limits right now anyhow. I've noticed that SOME packages of Doritos have a wheat containing message, while others don't.... same kind even!
Jayhawkmom -
Mom of three....
Jay - 11
Bean - 8
Ian - 3

#9 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:06 AM

As I've said on other such post - after getting all the gluten out of my system, I now react to Cheetos. The man. told me that they are process on their wheat based lines so cc could occur. But Fritos do not cause me to react so I now am pretty sure it's the monosodiumglutamate in the Cheetos that is the culprit. As fas as I know, MSG is gluten free. Now that my system is so clean, I can't tolerate junk anymore. I even figured I must have a problem with corn but after many many times trying to get a reaction from corn, I find I don't have issues with corn. That's why I know there is something else in Cheetos that makes me bloat like a beach ball and the MSG is the most obvious issus. I now try and keep clear of MSG in addition to gluten. It is not found in the organic items I usually buy now. Even if it's really gluten on the Cheetos, MSG isn't good for anyone (from what I've read) so it won't hurt me to go without it.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#10 Lymetoo

Lymetoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:22 AM

I think I got sick from Cheetos last night. Couldn't figure out what got me. Dang!!
Negative biopsy for celiac 1980
Fibromyalgia 1980
IBS 1980
Interstitial Cystitis 1992
Systemic yeast
Diagnosed w/ Chronic Lyme Disease 2000
Diagnosed w/ Chronic babesia 2000
Tachycardia 2001
Asthma 2005
Have had Lyme and babesia for
about 48 yrs.

Began gluten-free July 19 '06
Native TEXAN living in Missouri

#11 Trish in Canada

Trish in Canada

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:02 PM

jayhawkmom:

I've become really anal about reading ALL ingredients prior to letting my daughter have ANYTHING... and as proof positive that we need to read ingredients EVERY SINGLE TIME.... the last package of cheetos we purchased had a "contains wheat" statement on it.

I was very surprised, honestly. But, I didn't let her eat them. I currently have about 20 snack sized bags in a box in my kitchen, and not one of them has that on them. But, because of that ONE time.... I will not let her eat them.

Of course, I'm *trying* to keep her away from all dairy too, so they'd be off limits right now anyhow. I've noticed that SOME packages of Doritos have a wheat containing message, while others don't.... same kind even!

floridanative:

As I've said on other such post - after getting all the gluten out of my system, I now react to Cheetos. The man. told me that they are process on their wheat based lines so cc could occur

O.K. so cheetos could have gluten in them. I think I did react to gluten. Not to milk. The coughing and congestion I had on Saturday, from eating the rice and milk, turned out to be the start of a cough/cold. I think the stomach ache I had was because i ate too quickly.

I still have a slight rash from eating the cheetos on Friday. I've been pretty good at resisting the urge to scratch too. Hopefully it will go away soon. When it goes away I think I'll try the milk again and see what happens. If I react to the milk i'll stop drinking it again.

Since this is the second time something like this happened after eating cheetos, I am definately going to stay away from them. I've been good at spotting gluten in most packaged goods. I guess I have to think about whether or not a product could have been processed on the same product line. Most of the time i just eat food I prepare, I think i should stick to that for awhile.... its safe...

#12 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:12 AM

I have not had a problem with Cheetos but that brand some people have had a problem with.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#13 shayesmom

shayesmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:37 AM

jayhawkmom:
floridanative:
O.K. so cheetos could have gluten in them. I think I did react to gluten. Not to milk. The coughing and congestion I had on Saturday, from eating the rice and milk, turned out to be the start of a cough/cold. I think the stomach ache I had was because i ate too quickly.

I still have a slight rash from eating the cheetos on Friday. I've been pretty good at resisting the urge to scratch too. Hopefully it will go away soon. When it goes away I think I'll try the milk again and see what happens. If I react to the milk i'll stop drinking it again.

Since this is the second time something like this happened after eating cheetos, I am definately going to stay away from them. I've been good at spotting gluten in most packaged goods. I guess I have to think about whether or not a product could have been processed on the same product line. Most of the time i just eat food I prepare, I think i should stick to that for awhile.... its safe...

We've recently discovered that Tings are both gluten and dairy-free and taste a lot like Cheetos (and are similarly priced). The manufacturer only makes naturally gluten-free products so it would not have CC issues. You may want to give them a try. We bought our first bag yesterday and everyone in the house likes it. The bag was only $2.79! The ingredients are: corn meal, rice and/or sunflower oil, nutritional yeast and salt.

The best part of them....no orange fingers! lol!! (I think I found out about them on www.foodfightgrocery.com which was mentioned on another gluten-intolerant board).
Vicky

#14 Trish in Canada

Trish in Canada

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:46 PM

We've recently discovered that Tings are both gluten and dairy-free and taste a lot like Cheetos (and are similarly priced). The manufacturer only makes naturally gluten-free products so it would not have CC issues. You may want to give them a try. We bought our first bag yesterday and everyone in the house likes it. The bag was only $2.79! The ingredients are: corn meal, rice and/or sunflower oil, nutritional yeast and salt.

The best part of them....no orange fingers! lol!! (I think I found out about them on www.foodfightgrocery.com which was mentioned on another gluten-intolerant board).

YAY!!! Thank-you!!! :)

Some good news: I had milk in my tea today with no reaction. I also had some butter on my baked potato.
Small steps....

Can't wait to order those gluten-free snacks. I definately have to be more careful with the CC thing, especially now that I know just a teeny-tiny bit of Gluten can set off DH for me.

-Trish

#15 Levi

Levi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:04 PM

O.K. so I ate a bowlful of cheetos yesterday and got a fairly minor skin reaction within 1-2hours later. Previously I had a full body DH rash for about 7 months. The rash went away when I went gluten-free. Every once and awhile I accidently eat something that triggers a skin reaction. This time it was cheetos. I thought the ingredients were safe. I'm not sure anymore. About 2 1/2 months ago I had cheetos and had the same reaction but, at that time, I thought it was caused by something else (something that definately had gluten in it). I was dairy-free up until a week ago when I decided to start consuming lactose free milk products. I was fine all week. So I decided to try the cheetos to test about lactose. I didn't have any bowel or stomach reactions. I'm not sure if you can have a skin reaction to lactose? I know it's not a reaction to casien because I've been consuming lactose free milk all week with no skin or bowel problems. I've been eating corn tortillas all week, so I know it's not corn either.

I'm confused, so I need your help. Is there anything that would trigger a reoccurence of DH in this list of ingredients? Too much salt? (iodine?) Can anyone find a possible hidden gluten source in this list of ingredients? I've only been gluten free since May, so I'm still learning.

Cheetos Ingredients:

Thank you,

Trish

No Gluten for Me
!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: