5 replies to this topic

#1 RDV

RDV

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 12:58 PM

I have celiac disease (diagnosed in March) but no observable symptoms except via blood tests. I can eat anything with no discomfort whatsoever. Since going gluten-free, my blood counts are back to normal after being anemic. While I'm going gluten-free, I've not been too worried about cross contamination since my health has been normalized. I have a friend with celiac disease who suffers a lot even from traces of gluten. Can anyone tell me if I need to worry about cross contamination when my health is good. It seems that my body can simply tolerate more gluten (via possible cross contamination) than my friend's. Am I unknowingly damaging my system even though there are no signs to indicate any problems?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 hjkmatthews

hjkmatthews

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 01:48 PM

Hello,
Well, I'm not an expert but I'm sure everyone will agree that even though you don't show any symptoms, even trace ammounts of gluten in your diet can and will cause damage to your intestines. The fact that you don't really show symptoms doesn't mean a whole lot...some people have celiac disease and NEVER show symptoms, but their biopsy results later show that their intestines are indeed damaged. Your best bet is to be as safe as possible to prevent cross-contamination all of the time, even when you are in 'Good Health'. Hope this helps you out! :lol:

#3 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 02:06 PM

You're doing damage whether you feel it or not......trace amounts affect everyone, it's just some will show visible symptoms (getting sick) and others won't.....you still have to be concerned with cross-contamination

#4 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 08:15 AM

I think that this is a very good question.

I react to the smallest traces of gluten and I will be sick for at least a day.

My concern is also about cross contamination for example,

Some flavors of lays chips are gluten free but there is a risk of cross contamination. If I eat the gluten free lays chips I get sick from the cross contamination, but if someone else with celiac disease also eats the same chips and doesn't get a reaction does that mean that they get damage to the intestines even though they didn't get a reaction?

So the question is,
If some celiacs are reacting to the "gluten free" lays chips does that mean that every celiac that eats them is getting intestinal damage by eating them?

- Carrie
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#5 RDV

RDV

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for your replies...RDV

I'm still wondering if there are varying degrees of damage done to a persons system depending on how severe the gluten intolerance a person has. My blood tests show that I've recovered from the anemia my celiac disease caused. But I know I've eaten foods that look from their labels to be gluten-free only to find out that my friend who has severe reactions has found from experience and from the manufacturers that they are likely cross contaminated. Could it be that my system simply is tolerant to trace quantities while intolerant to larger amounts?

#6 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 08:37 AM

You either have it or don't, there are just sometimes in your life whhen you don't get symptomss.
Molly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: