6 replies to this topic

#1 Mandy F.

Mandy F.

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:49 PM

So, Tuesday night, I took some Excedrine on an empty stomach. Bad idea because I can be sensitive to caffiene... I had horrible stomach cramps and nausea for the rest of the day and all day Wednesday. I made a pizza for dinner Wednesday night and felt like I had been glutened a few hours later. I blamed it on the pepperoni... Thursday night, I made another pizza (because I could just leave everything at work and not forget it in my car) and skipped the pepperoni. I felt even worse Thursday night and Friday morning. I even left school early because of the fatigue, muscle cramps, and severe stomach cramps... I didn't connect all of this to dairy until this AM when I had a glass of milk and some almonds for a snack... I have spent all day with really bad stomach cramps and nausea and had no one to cover for me at work... So, I'm thinking it must have been the dairy... But can dairy problems cause the fatigue and stuff too? Or could all of this just be from the excedrine still and will go away after a couple of weeks? :unsure: I don't want to go dairy free too... I like milk... :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:53 PM

Mandy,

If you really suspect the excedrin then try dairy again next week and see if you feel the same.

It would probably be best to cut out all dairy for 2-6 months and then reintroduce it and see how you feel. It may be that you would be able to have small amounts but not every day.

I'm sorry you're feeling lousy. :(

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#3 i canary

i canary

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:22 PM

So, Tuesday night, I took some Excedrine on an empty stomach. Bad idea because I can be sensitive to caffiene... I had horrible stomach cramps and nausea for the rest of the day and all day Wednesday. I made a pizza for dinner Wednesday night and felt like I had been glutened a few hours later. I blamed it on the pepperoni... Thursday night, I made another pizza (because I could just leave everything at work and not forget it in my car) and skipped the pepperoni. I felt even worse Thursday night and Friday morning. I even left school early because of the fatigue, muscle cramps, and severe stomach cramps... I didn't connect all of this to dairy until this AM when I had a glass of milk and some almonds for a snack... I have spent all day with really bad stomach cramps and nausea and had no one to cover for me at work... So, I'm thinking it must have been the dairy... But can dairy problems cause the fatigue and stuff too? Or could all of this just be from the excedrine still and will go away after a couple of weeks? :unsure: I don't want to go dairy free too... I like milk... :(

I'm a milk lover, but I had to lay off it for a couple of months in the beginning. So give it a try and see if you feel better. :)
“This email is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws.”

#4 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:23 PM

I had to eliminate dairy, have been for about 3 1/2 years. Dont matter how careful I eliminate dairy, I'm still quote sensative to it, and the last time I used normal milk, even just a bit, I still nearly threw up

Hopefully if you eliminate it tho, it'll work for ya!

~lisa~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#5 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:29 PM

Many people with celiac disease are temporarily lactose intolerant until their villi heal. The enzymes that break down lactose are located at the tips of the villi and when some of them are blunted from gluten, lactose sometimes gets through, causing problems. Maybe try taking lacaid with dairy?
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#6 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:53 AM

While I had to give up dairy, I found nightshades give me severe muscle and nerve problems. If I where to eat a pizza crust made with any potato flour/starch, that would do me in for weeks. Not to mention the tomatoes are also a nightshade, so I don't see a pizza in my future for quite some time :angry: The proteins in dairy (mostly the casein I think) seems to add to it, but on it's own it takes more to effect me, and the symptoms aren't exactly the same.

So in your case it could be the dairy, or some other ingredient in the pizza. Maybe the flour was contaminated too. By any chance was it Bob's Red Mill? It seems many (but not all) on this board find cross-contamination issues with that. Was the cheese the same as usual?

Like you say though, the Excedrin may still be a lingering factor. I think the suggestion of waiting and testing again is a good one. You could also make some of the crust and eat it plain, and see how that goes, but the CC issue might still remain unknown. If the medication put the dairy or whatever over your limit, then I'd say you are basically skating on thin ice by eating it anyway. So it might be a good idea to limit (or eliminate) consumption of it for a few months, whatever the "it" turns out to be.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#7 FrostyFriday

FrostyFriday

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:16 AM

Many people with celiac disease are temporarily lactose intolerant until their villi heal. The enzymes that break down lactose are located at the tips of the villi and when some of them are blunted from gluten, lactose sometimes gets through, causing problems. Maybe try taking lacaid with dairy?

Maybe goat's milk, cheese or yogurt could be tolerated??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: