This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Almond Intolerance

NoahBunny

NoahBunny Newbie

Hi, folks. Newly diagnosed and confirmed Celiac (blood test and capsule endoscopy).

This is a sorta weird question (well lets be blunt, for anyone who has this disease there really aren't any weird questions anymore :P )

I've been healing pretty good since getting off gluten a little over a month ago, with only one time getting "gluttened", but I'm noticing something really weird. I can't eat almond anymore, I haven't tried other nuts to confirm that it's all nuts. I don't seem to be having an allergic reaction as much as I'm having an intolerance to it. I eat and they create a digestive situation that's alot like getting gluttened, stomach pains/cramps, need to use the bathroom, loose stool. I have confirmed it's not glutten, it just seems to be almonds. I also don't seem to digest them at all, not to be gross, but they go out pretty much the way they went in. The fact that they are going through completely undigested also makes me think I'm having intolerance towards them.

Has anyone else had anything like this? I don't know if this would be considered an allergy? I don't break out in a rash, and it's nothing immediate, usually the gastro probls occur hours later or the next morning if I have them the night before. Usually when I think of allergy, I think of rash, breaking out, sneezing, throat swelling up, etc... This seems more like an intolerance like gluten intolerance.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give :)

- Noah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

abc Rookie

I am very new to this, and have only been gluten - free a few days. BUT, in the past, I have noticed that after I eat a number of almonds (like a handful - 1/2 a cup, not a spinkle) that I tend to have the very symptoms you mention. When I was trying to narrow down what was causing my problems, I often thought it might be almonds (along with soy and dairy...now I believe it is gluten) I don't know if almonds I'm getting (from bins at whole foods) are tainted with gluten, or if its a separate issue. I usually get the unsalted, raw ones and roast myself....

I can't offer any help, but I empathize and am too interested to learn if anyone knows anything.

Ursa Major Collaborator

I think it is possible that almonds are simply too hard to digest for somebody who's digestive system is in poor shape. So, just eliminate almonds for now, and try them again in a few months, after your villi have had time to heal. You might find that you don't really have a problem with them, that it's only temporary.

NoahBunny Newbie
I am very new to this, and have only been gluten - free a few days. BUT, in the past, I have noticed that after I eat a number of almonds (like a handful - 1/2 a cup, not a spinkle) that I tend to have the very symptoms you mention. When I was trying to narrow down what was causing my problems, I often thought it might be almonds (along with soy and dairy...now I believe it is gluten) I don't know if almonds I'm getting (from bins at whole foods) are tainted with gluten, or if its a separate issue. I usually get the unsalted, raw ones and roast myself....

I can't offer any help, but I empathize and am too interested to learn if anyone knows anything.

I thought at first it was gluten, but I've been pretty adamant about ensuring that everything is gluten free. I repeat the same meals that I know are gluten free, and then every now and again I add in a new meal/food to see how it goes. But for some reason it's almonds, same if I drink alot of almond milk.

It's really weird.

I hope someone knows :)

kabowman Explorer

I developed, or noticed is probably more accurate, an intolerance to almonds after going gluten-free. I can have hazelnuts, cashews--I use cashew butter, and pistachios (in one of my snack bars) but not almonds and pecans and walnuts seem to bother me if I eat too much of them. I don't eat peanuts in any form.

sspitzer5 Apprentice
Hi, folks. Newly diagnosed and confirmed Celiac (blood test and capsule endoscopy).

This is a sorta weird question (well lets be blunt, for anyone who has this disease there really aren't any weird questions anymore :P )

I've been healing pretty good since getting off gluten a little over a month ago, with only one time getting "gluttened", but I'm noticing something really weird. I can't eat almond anymore, I haven't tried other nuts to confirm that it's all nuts. I don't seem to be having an allergic reaction as much as I'm having an intolerance to it. I eat and they create a digestive situation that's alot like getting gluttened, stomach pains/cramps, need to use the bathroom, loose stool. I have confirmed it's not glutten, it just seems to be almonds. I also don't seem to digest them at all, not to be gross, but they go out pretty much the way they went in. The fact that they are going through completely undigested also makes me think I'm having intolerance towards them.

Has anyone else had anything like this? I don't know if this would be considered an allergy? I don't break out in a rash, and it's nothing immediate, usually the gastro probls occur hours later or the next morning if I have them the night before. Usually when I think of allergy, I think of rash, breaking out, sneezing, throat swelling up, etc... This seems more like an intolerance like gluten intolerance.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give :)

- Noah

I had a food intolerance test dones (igg testing) and it showed a big reaction to almonds. I never would have guessed that they were causing a problem, but once I got rid of them, things have certainly been better. No more almonds for me. Check labels for almond meal/flour, etc. It seems like almonds are in a fair amount of gluten free stuff.

S

• 2 weeks later...
jaza33 Newbie

I have this problem too. For the first year I was gluten free, I was eating almonds. Then all of a sudden, I started reacting to them. I don't have a problem with other nuts and continue to eat them. I have two ideas on this:

1. Maybe it is something that is being sprayed on the almonds. I react badly to msg. There is a crop spray called auxigro that is sometimes sprayed on almonds.I reacted to Trader Joes' raw, unsalted and to whole foods raw, unsalted. These are not organic. There was an almond shortage for awhile and you couldn't even get any at Trader Joes. It was after they started stocking them again, I started having problems. I haven't experimented with trying organic to see if I react to those too. The whole thing irritated me so much, that I just stopped eating them.

2. The skin of almonds has a toxin. You really should blanch or soak them first and peel off the skin. I didn't know this the whole time I was eating them. Maybe the body remembers this toxin, and now rejects them?

I would really like to know the story on this too. If anyone figures this out, please post.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tiffjake Enthusiast

I am almond intolerant (among 20 food intolerances) along with celiac disease.

• 2 years later...
JAMR Newbie

I am gluten intolerant, dairy, cashew, probably soy and almonds as well.

I agree with the poster that thinks that the general condition of a digestive system that has been damaged by GI also has issues with other various foods. My suspected reaction to almonds is also a loosening of stools. I find it different to a reaction with gluten where I tend to see stronger gut reactions and the appearance of fat in the stool. I also get no immdeiate reactions, skin rashes, wheezing etc, bu I do get a bit lethargic and lower energy with almonds. My reactions to cashews are violent skin itches.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

You might want to try buying almonds in the shell and shell them yourself to see if those make you sick.

curiousgeorge Rookie

GI symptoms can be true allergy related too. Don't blow off possiblity of allergy if you don't get itchy.

• 8 months later...
srsssss Newbie

I have been gluten-free since Sept of '09 with a few "accidents" but none really in the last couple of months.

I have DH in addition to the stomach/intestinal issues, cognative problems "brain fog", Fibromyalgia symptoms, chronic fatigue, anxiety, depression and a few other things. All of the symptoms go away when I am gluten-free.

At the same time I went gluten-free I also went lactose free since it seemed that dairy bothered my stomach as well.

My Dr. told me it is common to have allergies show up that weren't as noticable before or show up but go away after a month or so. (or not)!

Since going gluten free I have had to eliminate peanuts, maltodextrin (even corn), msg (even not made from wheat), soy, and some fruits and vegetables. I had a huge breakout about 4 weeks ago and thought it was soy from the boost that I drink but I think it was because I had almond milk. I broke out everywhere, was itchy, irritated and it has taken more than 3 weeks and dapsone gel wouldn't even work. I had kenalog cream and that make it worse so I have been on Prednisone.

I JUST ate some chocolate with almonds in it yesterday. I am totally breaking out again, itchy, irritable, can't sleep, hot etc. Was a really small amount too. Was a small amount of almond milk I had ingested as well, over a couple of days. Oh yeah, I am having GI issues as well. Also the inside of my lips peel and my tongue is raw. It all is similar to getting glutened. I might have to look at the cashews too...

i-geek Rookie

A cautionary note about bulk bins, even at Whole Foods: I bought a bag of bulk lentils from the local Whole Foods not long ago. Fortunately, my husband spotted what looked like a wheat berry in the bag before I cooked them up. I might never have noticed it, cooked it with the lentils, and essentially poisoned myself. I love the idea of bulk food stores and bins, but the risk of CC is very high and IMO not worth the savings.

Archived