Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Lactose Intolerance Vs. Casein Intolerance

5 posts in this topic

I know dairy products are making me sick. But, what's the difference between lactose intolerance and casein intolerance or sensitivity? How can you tell which is which? Thanks.

Ads by Google:

Lactose is milk sugar. Casein is milk protein. If you can use 'lactaid' supplements when you consume dairy to prevent symptoms, you probably just have lactose intolerance. (There's also 'lactaid' or lactose free milks and ice cream now.) If you try using lactaid, but STILL have symptoms after consuming dairy, you probably have casein intolerance (or even problems with whey which is also in dairy). I did the Enterolab package of tests which tests for milk as well as gluten sensitivity. My results said I react to cow's milk with antibodies (autoimmune reaction) just like I react to gluten. So I have gluten and casein intolerances.

BURDEE

I HAVE READ SOMEWHERE THAT CASEIN WAS A COW PROTEIN, SO YOU DON'T FIND IT IN GOAT MILK. BUT YOU WILL FIND LACTOSE IN BOTH.

PAUL

Casein is also in goat's milk, just smaller amounts. If you're casein intolerant, any amount may affect you. :o

OH SORRY,

I SHOULD HAD DONE A SEARCH BEFORE. I'M GOING TO REPLY TO THE PERSONE WHO WROTE THIS IN ANOTHER FORUM.

THANK YOU BURDEE

PAUL