4 replies to this topic

#1 cynicaltomorrow

cynicaltomorrow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 09:03 PM

I know dairy products are making me sick. But, what's the difference between lactose intolerance and casein intolerance or sensitivity? How can you tell which is which? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 09:42 PM

Lactose is milk sugar. Casein is milk protein. If you can use 'lactaid' supplements when you consume dairy to prevent symptoms, you probably just have lactose intolerance. (There's also 'lactaid' or lactose free milks and ice cream now.) If you try using lactaid, but STILL have symptoms after consuming dairy, you probably have casein intolerance (or even problems with whey which is also in dairy). I did the Enterolab package of tests which tests for milk as well as gluten sensitivity. My results said I react to cow's milk with antibodies (autoimmune reaction) just like I react to gluten. So I have gluten and casein intolerances.
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 LUAP

LUAP

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 10:40 AM

I HAVE READ SOMEWHERE THAT CASEIN WAS A COW PROTEIN, SO YOU DON'T FIND IT IN GOAT MILK. BUT YOU WILL FIND LACTOSE IN BOTH.

PAUL
Canada
Where the health cares are free, but where the doctors worry more about their bank account than the health of their patients.
gluten-free since april 2003
On the no grain diet (Mercola) and initial phase diet (kaufmann) since january 2005. healthy since january 2005

#4 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 10:43 AM

Casein is also in goat's milk, just smaller amounts. If you're casein intolerant, any amount may affect you. :o

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#5 LUAP

LUAP

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 06:51 AM

OH SORRY,

I SHOULD HAD DONE A SEARCH BEFORE. I'M GOING TO REPLY TO THE PERSONE WHO WROTE THIS IN ANOTHER FORUM.

THANK YOU BURDEE

PAUL
Canada
Where the health cares are free, but where the doctors worry more about their bank account than the health of their patients.
gluten-free since april 2003
On the no grain diet (Mercola) and initial phase diet (kaufmann) since january 2005. healthy since january 2005

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: