arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Unflavored Gelatin A Sub For Xanthan Gum?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 emcmaster

emcmaster

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:31 PM

I can't have xanthan gum, so I tried leaving it out when making muffins. I tried cooking it for a lot longer at a lower temperature, which helps some, but doesn't solve the problem. Can I substitute unflavored gelatin for the xanthan gum? Any other tips?

Thanks!
ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)
corn-free (03.27.2007)
xanthan gum-free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:40 PM

Could you try yeast?

They won't turn out the same but it should give the life to help them cook.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#3 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:51 PM

You might want to try making mini-muffins instead of full-size. Using a smaller pan worked wonders for my cupcakes!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#4 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:53 PM

You also might try adding a tsp. of vinegar and 1/2 tsp of baking soda. It helps make the bread/muffins lighter and therefore bake better.

Also, what type of flour did you use? If there's a lot of bean flour they tend to be more gummy, in my experience.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#5 emcmaster

emcmaster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:34 PM

I used Bette Hagman's Featherlight 4 flour blend.

How much yeast should I add? And should it be nutritional yeast or the kind you use in a bread machine?

Should I add 1/2 tsp. baking soda on top of the 2 tsp. already in the recipe? Would that be too much?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm new to gluten-free baking, but I used to bake a lot before I went gluten-free and now that I've felt better for a while, I'm really missing it!
ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)
corn-free (03.27.2007)
xanthan gum-free

#6 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:37 PM

There is unflavored gelatin in one of Annalie Roberts' recipes in addition to yeast and xanthan gum. Not sure if that info helps you...I know guar gum can substitute for xanthan gum, but can you have that?

#7 emcmaster

emcmaster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:46 PM

There is unflavored gelatin in one of Annalie Roberts' recipes in addition to yeast and xanthan gum. Not sure if that info helps you...I know guar gum can substitute for xanthan gum, but can you have that?

I'm not sure yet about the guar gum... I'm reluctant to try it in case it makes me sick since I stay sick for so long, but I definitely need to try it.

Thanks!
ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)
corn-free (03.27.2007)
xanthan gum-free

#8 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:47 PM

I'm not sure how much yeast to add. If you usually need 2 tsp soda I would try 2 tsp yeast and see what happens. Can't be any worse than what it's doing now. :)

I had asked someone that question once who works with creating recipes and I forget what she said now. :(

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#9 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:54 PM

I'm not sure yet about the guar gum... I'm reluctant to try it in case it makes me sick since I stay sick for so long, but I definitely need to try it.

Thanks!

From what I gather guar gum is from a legume, does that help in making the choice?
Catherine

#10 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:54 PM

Should I add 1/2 tsp. baking soda on top of the 2 tsp. already in the recipe? Would that be too much?

No, don't use additional baking soda. Just try adding the vinegar. I'm curious about your recipe though - all my muffin recipes call for baking powder rather than baking soda.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: