Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Unflavored Gelatin A Sub For Xanthan Gum?

10 posts in this topic

I can't have xanthan gum, so I tried leaving it out when making muffins. I tried cooking it for a lot longer at a lower temperature, which helps some, but doesn't solve the problem. Can I substitute unflavored gelatin for the xanthan gum? Any other tips?

Thanks!

Ads by Google:

Could you try yeast?

They won't turn out the same but it should give the life to help them cook.

You might want to try making mini-muffins instead of full-size. Using a smaller pan worked wonders for my cupcakes!

You also might try adding a tsp. of vinegar and 1/2 tsp of baking soda. It helps make the bread/muffins lighter and therefore bake better.

Also, what type of flour did you use? If there's a lot of bean flour they tend to be more gummy, in my experience.

I used Bette Hagman's Featherlight 4 flour blend.

How much yeast should I add? And should it be nutritional yeast or the kind you use in a bread machine?

Should I add 1/2 tsp. baking soda on top of the 2 tsp. already in the recipe? Would that be too much?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm new to gluten-free baking, but I used to bake a lot before I went gluten-free and now that I've felt better for a while, I'm really missing it!

There is unflavored gelatin in one of Annalie Roberts' recipes in addition to yeast and xanthan gum. Not sure if that info helps you...I know guar gum can substitute for xanthan gum, but can you have that?

There is unflavored gelatin in one of Annalie Roberts' recipes in addition to yeast and xanthan gum. Not sure if that info helps you...I know guar gum can substitute for xanthan gum, but can you have that?

I'm not sure yet about the guar gum... I'm reluctant to try it in case it makes me sick since I stay sick for so long, but I definitely need to try it.

Thanks!

I'm not sure how much yeast to add. If you usually need 2 tsp soda I would try 2 tsp yeast and see what happens. Can't be any worse than what it's doing now. :)

I had asked someone that question once who works with creating recipes and I forget what she said now. :(

I'm not sure yet about the guar gum... I'm reluctant to try it in case it makes me sick since I stay sick for so long, but I definitely need to try it.

Thanks!

From what I gather guar gum is from a legume, does that help in making the choice?

Catherine

Should I add 1/2 tsp. baking soda on top of the 2 tsp. already in the recipe? Would that be too much?

No, don't use additional baking soda. Just try adding the vinegar. I'm curious about your recipe though - all my muffin recipes call for baking powder rather than baking soda.