28 replies to this topic

#1 majicbunnies

majicbunnies

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:34 PM

I've read plenty of times that the only non-gluten-free drinks at Starbucks are:

"Any frappachino with "chips" (Java Chip and Double Chocolate Chip)
Vanilla Bean Cream
All other beverages are gluten free (as long as they don't have any of the "chips"). "

BUT...how do we know they don't look for the not so obvious things? Like malt, barley, flavorings (do they talk to their sources? As in the people they get ingredients from),...anything else I've not thought of...

Sorry, I'm just really paranoid, obviously. I hate getting sick, but I really want a NF Iced Vanilla Latte! I'd like for them to just send me the ingredients, but I read that they don't do that because they change their list all the time...which isn't a good thing.
Scream thy last scream!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_~jules~_*

Guest_~jules~_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:41 PM

I've read plenty of times that the only non-gluten-free drinks at Starbucks are:

Vanilla Bean Cream
All other beverages are gluten free (as long as they don't have any of the "chips"). "

BUT...how do we know they don't look for the not so obvious things? Like malt, barley, flavorings (do they talk to their sources? As in the people they get ingredients from),...anything else I've not thought of...

Sorry, I'm just really paranoid, obviously. I hate getting sick, but I really want a NF Iced Vanilla Latte! I'd like for them to just send me the ingredients, but I read that they don't do that because they change their list all the time...which isn't a good thing.

Yummy...I love the sugar free iced vanilla skim latte.......ah big breath!!! thats alot to say for one little drink huh? Seriously though I would also like to know about the syrups they use..... ;)

#3 snapple

snapple

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:56 PM

According to the Clan Thompson foodlist, Starbick blended frappucinos are gluten-free, with the exception of java chip, malt and vanilla bean. Their cappucino is gluten-free and their latte's, excluding gingerbread latte. I had a pumpkin latte a few weeks ago and have been dreaming of another one ever since. Hope this helps.

Kate
Gluten free since 12/05 and feeling better!

#4 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:50 AM

You can read their syrup bottles right in the store, I have. I've also had the syrups with no problem. The vanilla latte is just espresso, syrup and steamed milk. It's fine.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:10 AM

It's difficult to ever be 100 percent certain, but I think you can assume they HAVE thought about malt etc. Your best indication is that lots of people with celiac drink their stuff.

richard

#6 Guest_adamssa_*

Guest_adamssa_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:49 AM

i have drunk lattees there on several occasions and never had a problem. all their syrups and stuff are supposed to be specifically gluten-free, so i think you have to worry about starbucks a lot less then other places. i think it's great, you don't have to worry about drinking stuff there, i say don't deprive yourself :)

#7 dlp252

dlp252

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:38 AM

I can't have dairy in addition to the gluten so have to be very careful. I get soy lattes, and feel comfortable doing so and have never been sick from them. They use Silk Vanilla Soymilk which is gluten-free, and I see the bottle of the sugar-free syrups they use, so know those are gluten-free as well. By-the-way, I DO always watch them make my drink and which cartons/containers, etc. they pick up just in case.

#8 ehrin

ehrin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:39 AM

According to the Clan Thompson foodlist, Starbick blended frappucinos are gluten-free, with the exception of java chip, malt and vanilla bean. Their cappucino is gluten-free and their latte's, excluding gingerbread latte. I had a pumpkin latte a few weeks ago and have been dreaming of another one ever since. Hope this helps.

Kate

really?? The gingerbread isn't gluten-free???
:(
My name is forgettable, so I invite you to remember this tale." (RG)

Diagnosed with celiac disease, by biopsy, 10/05
T1 diabetic since 2/80

#9 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:34 PM

really?? The gingerbread isn't gluten-free???
:(

I would double check. Someone along the lines may be making an assumption. They use the same syrup for the gingerbread as they do for the other lattes. If you like it, I'd definately research it better.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#10 DuckyDiva

DuckyDiva

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:38 PM

just don't make the mistake I made... I drank the Double Chocolate Chip fraps. everyday for a week before I realized they had gluten in them! Dumb on my part.

#11 ehrin

ehrin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:43 PM

I would double check. Someone along the lines may be making an assumption. They use the same syrup for the gingerbread as they do for the other lattes. If you like it, I'd definately research it better.

I definitely will - that one is my absolute fav - look forward to it every year!
My name is forgettable, so I invite you to remember this tale." (RG)

Diagnosed with celiac disease, by biopsy, 10/05
T1 diabetic since 2/80

#12 mellajane

mellajane

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:30 PM

I love Starbucks I have a toffeenut white mocha everyday... The vanilla is fine most of the syrups are as well. Anything blended I do not drink... I do check anything before I try it. You can ask to see the ingredients. They should be really cool about it.

Vanilla Bean Cream

"There is always a Brighter side to every situation"

#13 Suezboss

Suezboss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:15 PM

I get a NF Vanilla Latte (iced! yum) every morning, and haven't gotten sick. When I called they told me that one was gluten-free

does anyone know about their drinks in the cans/bottles? (like from the supermarket?)

#14 Kody

Kody

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:59 PM

does anyone know about their drinks in the cans/bottles? (like from the supermarket?)

I need to know about this as well. :D
"I have failed and that is why I succeed."

#15 astroGF

astroGF

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:36 PM

Yipes, I had read on here that ALL lattes are safe, then had a gingerbread one and was sick for a week....when I specifically search on gingerbread, there *were other warnings.
I've had no problems with the "grocery store" items, but when it's a new flavor, I just call the 1-800 and they've always known.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: