Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Starbucks Confused?

29 posts in this topic

I've read plenty of times that the only non-gluten-free drinks at Starbucks are:

"Any frappachino with "chips" (Java Chip and Double Chocolate Chip)

Vanilla Bean Cream

All other beverages are gluten free (as long as they don't have any of the "chips"). "

BUT...how do we know they don't look for the not so obvious things? Like malt, barley, flavorings (do they talk to their sources? As in the people they get ingredients from),...anything else I've not thought of...

Sorry, I'm just really paranoid, obviously. I hate getting sick, but I really want a NF Iced Vanilla Latte! I'd like for them to just send me the ingredients, but I read that they don't do that because they change their list all the time...which isn't a good thing.

Ads by Google:
I've read plenty of times that the only non-gluten-free drinks at Starbucks are:

Vanilla Bean Cream

All other beverages are gluten free (as long as they don't have any of the "chips"). "

BUT...how do we know they don't look for the not so obvious things? Like malt, barley, flavorings (do they talk to their sources? As in the people they get ingredients from),...anything else I've not thought of...

Sorry, I'm just really paranoid, obviously. I hate getting sick, but I really want a NF Iced Vanilla Latte! I'd like for them to just send me the ingredients, but I read that they don't do that because they change their list all the time...which isn't a good thing.

Yummy...I love the sugar free iced vanilla skim latte.......ah big breath!!! thats alot to say for one little drink huh? Seriously though I would also like to know about the syrups they use..... ;)

According to the Clan Thompson foodlist, Starbick blended frappucinos are gluten-free, with the exception of java chip, malt and vanilla bean. Their cappucino is gluten-free and their latte's, excluding gingerbread latte. I had a pumpkin latte a few weeks ago and have been dreaming of another one ever since. Hope this helps.

Kate

You can read their syrup bottles right in the store, I have. I've also had the syrups with no problem. The vanilla latte is just espresso, syrup and steamed milk. It's fine.

It's difficult to ever be 100 percent certain, but I think you can assume they HAVE thought about malt etc. Your best indication is that lots of people with celiac drink their stuff.

richard

i have drunk lattees there on several occasions and never had a problem. all their syrups and stuff are supposed to be specifically gluten-free, so i think you have to worry about starbucks a lot less then other places. i think it's great, you don't have to worry about drinking stuff there, i say don't deprive yourself :)

I can't have dairy in addition to the gluten so have to be very careful. I get soy lattes, and feel comfortable doing so and have never been sick from them. They use Silk Vanilla Soymilk which is gluten-free, and I see the bottle of the sugar-free syrups they use, so know those are gluten-free as well. By-the-way, I DO always watch them make my drink and which cartons/containers, etc. they pick up just in case.

According to the Clan Thompson foodlist, Starbick blended frappucinos are gluten-free, with the exception of java chip, malt and vanilla bean. Their cappucino is gluten-free and their latte's, excluding gingerbread latte. I had a pumpkin latte a few weeks ago and have been dreaming of another one ever since. Hope this helps.

Kate

really?? The gingerbread isn't gluten-free???

:(

really?? The gingerbread isn't gluten-free???

:(

I would double check. Someone along the lines may be making an assumption. They use the same syrup for the gingerbread as they do for the other lattes. If you like it, I'd definately research it better.

just don't make the mistake I made... I drank the Double Chocolate Chip fraps. everyday for a week before I realized they had gluten in them! Dumb on my part.

I would double check. Someone along the lines may be making an assumption. They use the same syrup for the gingerbread as they do for the other lattes. If you like it, I'd definately research it better.

I definitely will - that one is my absolute fav - look forward to it every year!

I love Starbucks I have a toffeenut white mocha everyday... The vanilla is fine most of the syrups are as well. Anything blended I do not drink... I do check anything before I try it. You can ask to see the ingredients. They should be really cool about it.

Vanilla Bean Cream

I get a NF Vanilla Latte (iced! yum) every morning, and haven't gotten sick. When I called they told me that one was gluten-free

does anyone know about their drinks in the cans/bottles? (like from the supermarket?)

does anyone know about their drinks in the cans/bottles? (like from the supermarket?)

I need to know about this as well. :D

Yipes, I had read on here that ALL lattes are safe, then had a gingerbread one and was sick for a week....when I specifically search on gingerbread, there *were other warnings.

I've had no problems with the "grocery store" items, but when it's a new flavor, I just call the 1-800 and they've always known.

I never trust the chain cafes.

The only thing I have from there are the bottled drinks from other brands or americano.

By the looks of things, although the certain food & drinks do not contain gluten, they can ever so easily be cross contaminated by the looks of things.

Plus the ingredients are basically powders and chemicals of artificial kinds..you never know what is in them.

I got this from them:

Contain gluten:

Dulce De Leche

Frappuccino Chip

Graham Crunch Topping

International Bev chip

Malt

Pie Crust Topping

Shortbread Cookie Topping

Shortbread Syrup

Universal Beverage Chip

Universal Chocolate Chip

Eggnog

Vanilla Bean Powder

I have had the Cinnamon Dolce there a couple of times and it made me very nauseated. I asked about the ingredients in that and it seemed like it should be fine, however, so I'm not sure what caused the problem. But everything else I've had has been fine. I go there pretty often.

I just had a caramel non-fat steamed milk, I am in agony and have gone up about 3 pant sizes!

About an hour ago I was just admiring how even though it is 'that time of the month', I was so non-bloated.

I don't know if it was cross contaminated or what, but it's killing me.

(I should mention I did also have a kahlua chocolate, but the ingredients on that were a-ok as far as I could tell)

Miss Christy: Gobbie say's it all really.

I never trust the chain cafes.

The only thing I have from there are the bottled drinks from other brands or americano.

By the looks of things, although the certain food & drinks do not contain gluten, they can ever so easily be cross contaminated by the looks of things.

Plus the ingredients are basically powders and chemicals of artificial kinds..you never know what is in them.

Do the same simple test as Starbuck's legal council....

If you get ill after what can you claim/sue for?

I am a big fan of the Vanilla Rooibos herbal tea, and I asked Starbucks via email about it's gluten free status, due to it being from an African bush. I received a response very quickly.

Thank you for your interest.

Yes, the Vanilla Rooibos Loose Leaf Herbal Tea by Tazo Tea is gluten free.

If we can be of any further assistance, please reply to this email, or call us toll-free at (800) 571-7289. For callers outside of the US and Canada, please call (310) 450-3270. Our Customer Service hours are Monday-Friday 7:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. PT, Saturday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. PT.

Chelsia

Customer Service

StarbucksStore.com

I get an Awake Tea Latte a couple of times a week, at least. Nary a problem :)

Restaurants are required by law to provide you with an ingredient list if requested. They can't say no in the actual store. Go to starbucks and ask for an ingredient list for the latte you want.

Since we are on the topic of Starbucks....Does anyone get light headed or dizzy from any of their drinks? Everytime I get a decaf white chocolate mocha with soy milk, I get the dizzies and light headed. I stopped drinking regular coffee as it gave me the D, but no dizzies or light headed with the same drink only caffinated. :(

I wonder if the caramel syrup is coloured? Doesn't caramel colour have gluten?

I had a white mocha steamed milk and didn't have a reaction.

This is all so overwhelming! Even after talking to a chef I got sick, pretty sure it was via cross-contact, but he said his girlfriend has celiac's so how the hell do they do that? Found out after that pizza is their specialty :rolleyes: , maybe I'm more sensitive then I first thought...

To the original poster...don't feel bad about being paranoid. That's how one has to be if they wanna stay gluten-free! I'm definitely on the paranoid side with this diet too. It's like, every unknown food is a potential bomb in my digestive system. Don't want that...high alert!

Anyway I drink the coffee and mocha frappucino's fine. I never ask them to clean the blender or any of that. I do try to keep on eye on when they blend (and they do usually rinse etc.)

I also drink the hot chocolate fine. But due to my paranoia, I ask for it without whip cream although I think that's safe too. Eh, not worth the risk.

Oh to answer another question...and I've drank (drunk? drunken?) those bottles you get in grocery stores before (again, only coffee and mocha) and have been fine.