5 replies to this topic

#1 wolffree

wolffree

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 11:49 AM

I am a month diagnosed gluten intolerant..and am starting to think am also casein intolerant...but I can drink milk and other stuff with no effects..but have noticed the few times I've had cheese especially today...I'm back on the porcelain...is it possible just to have a cheese intolerance??? I"m still learning...and have been totally gluten free for my month so far...the only thing I had this morning that I can pin down that would make me ill is the silly cheese...

Thanks...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mark

Mark

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 10:35 AM

The main milk allergens are:

casein
a-lactalbumin
B-lactalbumin

and you can get tested for:

cow's milk
boiled cow's
goat's milk
mare's milk
cheese-cheddar type
cheese-mold
whey

Casein makes up about 75-80% of all milk protein and is heat stable. That's why it is found in cheese as well. Actually, the casein concentration in cheese can be pretty high (depends on chesse type). Cheese analogs are all based on casein as a protein source.
The reaction to casein is either immediate (IgE related) or few hours/days delayed (IgG, IgA related).
I have the delayed reaction only, and it causes similar symptoms like gluten - bloating, cramps etc., but I noticed some sore throat, chest pain & asthma like reactions as well. Not sure it is all related to my casein intolerance. I'm still in search.
Anyway, the best way to find out more is to get tested.

MARK
gluten-free/CF since September 03

#3 astyanax

astyanax

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 03:03 PM

colored cheeses, like cheddar, american, etc. can be colored with something called "annatto" that may or may not contain gluten (you have to call the company). could that be it? sorry if you already knew about that !
gXf since november 1998

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 05:24 AM

Annatto is gluten-free. This was an old falsehood from the CSA.

richard

#5 astyanax

astyanax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 02:41 PM

i noticed it was on celiac.com's website as being an ok ingredient but this is all news to me (very good news i might add) just to make sure: i don't have to avoid colored cheeses anymore (except shredded which may have wheat starch) and popcorn ?? i'd been avoiding certain microwave popcorns and cheddar cheeses etc. cos of annatto.. thanks for any help.
gXf since november 1998

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 06:53 AM

You do not have to avoid cheddar cheese (or almost any other cheese for that matter). I'm still careful about shredded cheeses but the fact is that almost all have cellulose, not wheat. I've heard of one variety of one brand microwave popcorn (one of the super butter or theater ones I think) that has gluten, but every other one I've ever checked or heard about has been gluten-free.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: