This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is It Insomnia?

Guest ~jules~

Guest ~jules~

I haven't had a decent nights sleep in two weeks, I look and feel like hell beacause of it and its only getting worse. I'm really tired physically and mentally, but when I lay down my brain won't shut off. I've been stressing lately so I'm sure thats it, but some situations have improved now my head can't seem to snap out of stress mode! I'm going to the doctor this afternoon, hopefully he can give me something to sleep. I hate taking medication but this b.s. has got to stop. Does anyone here take anything to help them sleep? If I get on something like that are there bad side effects to these kinds of drugs? thanks julie :o

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Julie, why don't you try something natural first, like chamomile tea, or valerian root (try googling for 'natural sleep-aids')? They might just do the trick, and won't have any side effects. The problem with prescription sleeping pills is, that they suppress the dreaming phase (rem), which will have negative effects. Plus, they are addictive, too.

Also, try just repeating to yourself (not out loud) while lying in bed something like, "I will go to sleep and sleep all night", over and over, not allowing those worrying thoughts to surface. It might also help.

eKatherine Rookie
I haven't had a decent nights sleep in two weeks, I look and feel like hell beacause of it and its only getting worse. I'm really tired physically and mentally, but when I lay down my brain won't shut off. I've been stressing lately so I'm sure thats it, but some situations have improved now my head can't seem to snap out of stress mode! I'm going to the doctor this afternoon, hopefully he can give me something to sleep. I hate taking medication but this b.s. has got to stop. Does anyone here take anything to help them sleep? If I get on something like that are there bad side effects to these kinds of drugs? thanks julie :o

Are you eating enough calories? If you're losing weight, your body will keep you from sleeping so that you'll go out foraging for food.

Ursa Major Collaborator
Are you eating enough calories? If you're losing weight, your body will keep you from sleeping so that you'll go out foraging for food.

That's also a valid thought, I hadn't even thought of that.

Guest ~jules~

It could be a number of things, I mainly think its stress. Along with my diagnosis in august, theres alot of family issues. Were having financial problems, my husbands company screwed up his direct deposit on the 8th, so all the bills were rejected leaving us in this huge downward spiral of bank fees which the company is going to cover, but you know big companies no one is in a hurry but you. So the financial problems are causing marital problems (my husbands is a bastard when he's stressed out) AND I'm watching my oldest brother kill himself with drugs, he was clean for almost 10 years but relapsed and is losing everything, and my family is enabling him left and right. Oh and I run a small business which is pretty much on the backburner right now. So needless to say I can't sleep, and now you all know my life story, well only the crappy parts! :blink:

carynanne Rookie

Jules:

I am so sorry you are having so much difficulty! We just moved to a new location and bought a house, and are now worried about being able to afford it because my husband's employer promised him more money than they are giving him. And he is a tough person to be around under stress, too. It seems like so much is at stake in your life- your brother, your job, and your husband- but I just felt compelled to write to you to HANG IN THERE!! I know it's bad when everything happens at once, but even though things are taking their sweet time to smooth out, they eventually will. And what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

I have been having trouble sleeping lately, too, and this is a first in my entire life. What helps me the most through difficult times is this: counting my blessings. Write them down and number them, even. And don't leave anything out. e.g.: 1. I have a roof over my head; 2. I have clothes on my back; 3. I have food to eat that isn't poisoning me anymore (I myself am waiting to be tested for Celiac)-- you get the idea. Concentrate on the positive, and realize that what is negative is not what is important. We only get one chance to live on this earth, and wasting our time worrying over everything will do just that: WASTE our time.

Caryn

Guest ~jules~
Jules:

I am so sorry you are having so much difficulty! We just moved to a new location and bought a house, and are now worried about being able to afford it because my husband's employer promised him more money than they are giving him. And he is a tough person to be around under stress, too. It seems like so much is at stake in your life- your brother, your job, and your husband- but I just felt compelled to write to you to HANG IN THERE!! I know it's bad when everything happens at once, but even though things are taking their sweet time to smooth out, they eventually will. And what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

I have been having trouble sleeping lately, too, and this is a first in my entire life. What helps me the most through difficult times is this: counting my blessings. Write them down and number them, even. And don't leave anything out. e.g.: 1. I have a roof over my head; 2. I have clothes on my back; 3. I have food to eat that isn't poisoning me anymore (I myself am waiting to be tested for Celiac)-- you get the idea. Concentrate on the positive, and realize that what is negative is not what is important. We only get one chance to live on this earth, and wasting our time worrying over everything will do just that: WASTE our time.

Caryn

Things are already looking up. I really needed to vent, because I've been stressed out over this or that for months now, and its getting old. I am appreciative of what I do have, and I have been praying alot too. There was a time in my life oh say 11 years ago where I was living a really rough life, went through and saw things unimaginable to me today. I think when I get overwhelmed Its like post-traumatic stress, I just panic naturally because of my past experiences. Today I have alot to look forward to, a supportive husband, two great little boys (my angels), my family, friends, and yes even the basics like the roof over my head, and mostly lately my improving health. I am really glad I'm not feeling like that every day anymore! Accept the occassional glutening, because I'm new at this :D Thank you for the encouragment....julie (a good rant is helpful sometimes too..lol)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JenKuz Explorer

Jules,

I'm so sorry for your troubles, and I hope they're improving.

In the meantime, I, too, have gone through some crazy times, and have had periodic insomnia ever since. It seems like it can be sparked by any change in diet, any change in my daily habits, anything at all, really. I'm having one now, that started when I went gluten-free three days ago.

I don't advocate using sleeping pills very often, but there are some cases, especially if you have responsibilities, like two sons to take care of, that you need to be rested for, where I think it's okay to make an exception. I set a rule for myself: no more than twice a month, and not in the same week.

Also, I don't use the prescription sleeping pills; I think those are scarier. In fact, I use a plain ol' Benedryl. Benedryl is actually the same drug they use in Unisom and a couple other sleep aids, but Unisom is a double dose. That stuff knocks me clean out, and I always wake up feeling totally refreshed, and the antihistamine action doesn't hurt, either.

Other helpful things are a glass of wine before bed, or a mug of hot milk (if you can tolerate it). That's my favorite; so homey! If you can't drink milk, then try 5-htp; it's a supplement that can increase the production of tryptophan if you're not producing enough on your own. Personally, I found that it made me a little jumpy and weird, but other people have had good luck on it, so it's worth a shot if you want to try a supplement. Maybe try a half dose the first couple times.

Good luck!

I hope you're sleeping better now.

Jen

Archived