This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Corn Sensitivity?

monicacpht3641

monicacpht3641 Rookie

I've been eating gluten free for about 4 months now, and have shown pretty major sensitivity. I got sick from the shampoo I was using because it contained wheat protein. (Of course I stopped using it) The last month or so, I've been having increasingly worse reactions from corn as well. My dad is a celiac, and can't eat fresh corn, although he can tolerate things like corn chips and corn tortillas fairly well. I assumed that eventually I might have problems with corn as well, so it wasn't a big suprise. Last night my husband and I made some fried chicken wings using a gluten free chicken mix, kin of like shake and bake. This morning I had a full blown reaction, the whole nausea, abdominal cramping, diarrhea, extreme tiredness, lack of concentration thing. I know to stay away from corn, but has anyone had problems with corn syrup if they're sensitive to corn flour, corn meal, corn starch, etc? My doctor wants me to go in for an allergy test, but I haven't had time to, as I work full time and go to school. I suppose I'll stay away from everything corn from now on.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Simply-V Newbie
I've been eating gluten free for about 4 months now, and have shown pretty major sensitivity. I got sick from the shampoo I was using because it contained wheat protein. (Of course I stopped using it) The last month or so, I've been having increasingly worse reactions from corn as well. My dad is a celiac, and can't eat fresh corn, although he can tolerate things like corn chips and corn tortillas fairly well. I assumed that eventually I might have problems with corn as well, so it wasn't a big suprise. Last night my husband and I made some fried chicken wings using a gluten free chicken mix, kin of like shake and bake. This morning I had a full blown reaction, the whole nausea, abdominal cramping, diarrhea, extreme tiredness, lack of concentration thing. I know to stay away from corn, but has anyone had problems with corn syrup if they're sensitive to corn flour, corn meal, corn starch, etc? My doctor wants me to go in for an allergy test, but I haven't had time to, as I work full time and go to school. I suppose I'll stay away from everything corn from now on.....

Levels of sensitivity depends on the individual. Some can handle small amounts and some can't handle anything.

I'd recommend going as corn-free as you possibly can. If for no other reason to give your body a break.

I first noticed my corn sensitivity (actually an IgE corn allergy though very mild in comparision to some) with reactions to sodas or corn syrup. It was after that, that I clued in to corn starch and corn chips. I react to even the tiniest drop of corn. Generally most notice that they feel better when they take corn out of their diet, but you can also expect to find yourself reacting to smaller and smaller doses of corn until you reach your minimum tolerance level.

Going corn-free isn't easy, and I'd recommending doing a lot of reading. There are many who have your symptoms to corn (myself included) and can help you navigate it.

Helpful sites:

Open Original Shared Link

Let me know if theres anything else I can do to help.

V

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi,

I'm sensitive to corn, but was not allergic according to skin testing.

I get reactions from corn syrup every bit as bad as from the other froms of corn. It truly is in almost everything processed. :angry:

kabowman Explorer

I have a corn intolerance but I don't have to avoid it completely yet. I can handle the corn starch in my meds and my toothpaste and soaps have corn. I also don't worry about the corn in most paper products and my bounce yet but have to be careful with using some styrofoams - some seem OK while others are not. Some citric acid is corn derived and I don't call companies on that, just play the russian rullet game with it.

I first noticed my reaction to high fructose corn syrup. I now use a sea salt I found at the health food store so I am not getting corn in most of my salt at home, only when we go out to eat. I am gradually eliminated corn from most of my stuff as I go - make up will be the hardest. I haven't found a corn-free face powder yet.

Arrowroot flour can be used in place of corn starch but most pre-made gluten-free products have corn in them so watch out.

Again, I can handle some corn when it is in very small quantities like my meds but try to avoid everything else.

monicacpht3641 Rookie

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I've got a bunch of gluten free mixes I can't use now, but oh well. I'll give them to my dad. No more soda I guess!

jerseyangel Proficient

Monica--

I drink Boylan Cane Cola (there are other varities, too). It is sweetened with sugar only. I get it at Whole Foods. :)

happygirl Collaborator

hey-

add me to the list of corn intolerant. a recent discovery but SUPER sensitive! I can't have corn in any single form (including meds, toothpaste, vitamins)

I'm still learning....let me know if I can help at all though!

Laura

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Natlay Apprentice

I'm also corn intolerant...finally figured that out a few weeks ago when going gluten free wasn't enough anymore. I thought that gluten was hard to avoid at first but it's easy compared to corn...it's literally in everything.

What kind of reactions do you get from corn? Can certain forms of corn make you feel worse? I noticed stomach problems when I ate corn tortillas but not as bad when I ate popcorn. Also...are artificial sweeteners made from corn ok?

happygirl Collaborator

Natlay,

It kind of depends on what approach you want to take. Some can't handle corn in large amounts (corn syrup-like in soda, corn chips, tortillas, etc.) Others can not handle any amount...it is in things like flavors, toothpaste, medicines, IVs, drinks, canned veggies, iodized salt, etc. etc. It is in 500X more things than gluten, which is scary.

For me, I have to avoid all corn at this point in time. www. cornallergens. com (without the spaces) has a pretty good list of things that are either corn derivatives or potential corn derivatives. The site has a lot of useful information...things I never would have thought of.

Hope this helps!

Simply-V Newbie
I haven't found a corn-free face powder yet.

Try Physicians Formula Mineral Veil for sensitive skin.

Some citric acid is corn derived and I don't call companies on that, just play the russian rullet game with it.

I am severely intolerant and allergic to corn. Most of the worlds citric acid is made from corn, and is especially true in the USA. There are a few companies that still utilize citric acid from citrus but those are rare.

I avoid all citric acid unless I've contacted the company first.

• 2 years later...
laurie-carr Newbie
I'm also corn intolerant...finally figured that out a few weeks ago when going gluten free wasn't enough anymore. I thought that gluten was hard to avoid at first but it's easy compared to corn...it's literally in everything.

What kind of reactions do you get from corn? Can certain forms of corn make you feel worse? I noticed stomach problems when I ate corn tortillas but not as bad when I ate popcorn. Also...are artificial sweeteners made from corn ok?

please tell me more i am headed toward the corn allergy.....I have a "celiac attack" if you know what i mean when i eat popcorn......and after i eat my favorite corn chips i dont feel that great....I sometimes even get a red itchy bumps on my mouth.....that seems like a food allergy.....but I cant put my finger on what is causing it.....I go to see an allergist in Jan. but I am not sure how you get diagnosed with a corn allergy......I know that a lot of people just go with FRESH food only......nothing processed !!!!! I was just wondering if this is what I should do as well........Please help.....gluten-free is not enough for me I still have probs.....

Thank you!!!!

AliB Enthusiast

Unless you can deal with the damage to your gut properly, you may well find that the intolerances will just spread from one food to another - first gluten, then corn, then soy, then........

I see this all the time on here where people have developed intolerances to more and more foods and are incredibly frustrated.

My belief is that a lot of our health issues are linked to gut dysbiosis and rogue bacteria, yeasts and/or parasites. When we remove something like the gluten-based carbs, they may die back a bit but then regroup, adapt to a new food source and come back with a vengeance. So we remove gluten carbs and they move to corn, we remove corn and they move to soy and so it goes on.

It is only by removing all their potential food source in one go - the long-chain carbs and starches, and by replenishing the gut with the good bacteria to protect the gut and support the immune system, that we stand any chance of clawing control back from them and getting the gut to heal properly. Many gluten-free foods are VERY Carb-dense and can actually make the problem worse.

Many with Celiac/Gluten intolerance have issues with Candida and/or other pathogens, and I suspect a lot have it without realising it, or without realising that their thrush, athlete's foot, the 'charmingly' named 'jock itch', etc., are all linked to a systemic infestation of Candida and other yeasts.

If we give them the right environment, they will flourish. Most people have taken things like antibiotics or other equally gut flora disruptive medications and painkillers that not only destroy the bad guys, but decimate the good protective ones too, leaving the gut open to infestation by pathogens.

Quite a few of us have discovered the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) which removes all the problematic carbs and encourages 'reflorestation' with good bacteria, which then helps the body heal properly. There is an ongoing thread on this section if you want any info about it and 'breaking the vicious cycle' and 'Pecanbread' are two good sites.

(I think I am going to have to make a 'standard' post to copy and paste on these threads as every day there are more and more frustrated and sick people who don't know what to do or where to turn, posting the same questions and raising the same issues! I know what it is like - I have been there, but thanks to the SCD I am getting better now).

emcmaster Collaborator

I too am corn-intolerant. I am OK with little tiny bits in my thyroid medicine but nothing beyond that. I can't have "natural flavors" in any processed foods or anything definitely corn-derived.

In fact, I pretty much steer clear of any processed foods that don't have a recognizable list of ingredients.

I also cannot have Xanthan Gum, which is mostly corn-derived. I react more strongly to it than to other corn items and it was the first clue that I had a corn problem...

dfarris Newbie
Unless you can deal with the damage to your gut properly, you may well find that the intolerances will just spread from one food to another - first gluten, then corn, then soy, then........

I see this all the time on here where people have developed intolerances to more and more foods and are incredibly frustrated.

My belief is that a lot of our health issues are linked to gut dysbiosis and rogue bacteria, yeasts and/or parasites. When we remove something like the gluten-based carbs, they may die back a bit but then regroup, adapt to a new food source and come back with a vengeance. So we remove gluten carbs and they move to corn, we remove corn and they move to soy and so it goes on.

It is only by removing all their potential food source in one go - the long-chain carbs and starches, and by replenishing the gut with the good bacteria to protect the gut and support the immune system, that we stand any chance of clawing control back from them and getting the gut to heal properly. Many gluten-free foods are VERY Carb-dense and can actually make the problem worse.

Many with Celiac/Gluten intolerance have issues with Candida and/or other pathogens, and I suspect a lot have it without realising it, or without realising that their thrush, athlete's foot, the 'charmingly' named 'jock itch', etc., are all linked to a systemic infestation of Candida and other yeasts.

If we give them the right environment, they will flourish. Most people have taken things like antibiotics or other equally gut flora disruptive medications and painkillers that not only destroy the bad guys, but decimate the good protective ones too, leaving the gut open to infestation by pathogens.

Quite a few of us have discovered the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) which removes all the problematic carbs and encourages 'reflorestation' with good bacteria, which then helps the body heal properly. There is an ongoing thread on this section if you want any info about it and 'breaking the vicious cycle' and 'Pecanbread' are two good sites.

(I think I am going to have to make a 'standard' post to copy and paste on these threads as every day there are more and more frustrated and sick people who don't know what to do or where to turn, posting the same questions and raising the same issues! I know what it is like - I have been there, but thanks to the SCD I am getting better now).

dfarris Newbie

What is SCD?

AliB Enthusiast
What is SCD?
Hi Diane. Welcome to the forum.

It is a healing diet that removes anything processed and 'added to', all grains, starches and most dairy products. It concentrates on good wholesome (and preferably organic) meat, fish, poultry, fruit, vegetables, nuts, honey and home-made 24-hour live probiotic yogurt for gut 'reflorestation'.

As more people are latching on to the diet and its benefits, more websites and recipe books are popping up but the main site is 'breaking the vicious cycle'. Another good site is 'Pecanbread'. It is designed predominantly for kids with Autism, but the info is just as relevant for kids and adults alike with any health issues.

We have an SCD thread in this section where we support each other and there is an SCD recipe thread in the 'Recipes' section.

If you Google 'Specific Carbohydrate Diet' you will pick up more references too. I would always suggest that people at least give it a try for a month - sometimes it takes that length to get any benefit but usually most see results of some kind within the first week or two.

Ali.

ive Rookie

Here is a list of corn-free products: Open Original Shared Link

Here is a list of corn-free and gluten-free products: Open Original Shared Link

These lists are outdated (they were current as of December 2007 and October 2007 respectively) but still they might be helpfull.

Also here is the list of the ingredients that are derived or might be derived from corn:

It is really hard to avoid corn, it is everywhere. In addition to my other food intolerances I cook from scratch most of the time and buy a very limited amount of processed food.

Hope that helps.

Archived