6 replies to this topic

#1 chrissy

chrissy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:36 PM

i think i may be starting to have a problem with corn. we have been using so many more corn products since my girls were diagnosed with celiac that i think maybe i have either started an intolerance, or i am using enough of it now to bring an as-of-yet-unknown tolerance out into the light. did that make sence? when i eat corn products i get a thick, yucky feeling in the back of my throat that can last for hours---like i am having sinus drainage that is originating just below my sinuses. does this sound familier to anyone?
Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005
11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005
17 year old son with celiac gene

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

Chrissy,
I don't have the same symptoms that you do, but I cannot tolerate any corn whatsoever! Yes....you are making sense. It is confusing.

If you are looking to see if it the problem, try taking corn out. However, to get it truly out, it is really difficult. It is the obvious--tortillas, chips, baking mixes, canned corn, etc...and the less obvious-medicines, soft drinks, seasoning packets, enriched rice, etc etc.

Let me know if I can help in any way. www. cornallergen. com (without the spaces) has been a good resource for me in learning about corn.

Hope this helps-let me know what happens!

#3 Simply_V

Simply_V

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 03:26 PM

when i eat corn products i get a thick, yucky feeling in the back of my throat that can last for hours---like i am having sinus drainage that is originating just below my sinuses. does this sound familier to anyone?

I don't have that reaction to corn, though I do to blueberries. It sounds like an allergic reaction. Does it happen within 2 hours of eating corn (usually within 15-20 minutes)?
V
Severe airborne allergies since childhood. Was on constant antihisamines with behavior issues. Digestion issues started noticably around 1985.
1992 IBS diagnosis.
2004 Corn allergy - through diet discovery.
2005 RAST negative to all food allergies. High cholesterol diagnosed as PCOS.
2006 Immunolabs ELISA and IgE assay:
IgE to Corn, Milk, Eggs, & White Bean.
IgG to peppers, blk/wt pepper, beans, almonds, yeasts.
Neg. to Celiac, gluten, etc. High IgA level.
2008 No longer considered as having PCOS, or associated risks.

Currently avoiding corn, eggs, cow & goat milk, all beans (cept some soy derivatives & peanut oil), cruciferous veggies, onions/garlic, carrots/celery, anything bilberry/cranberry/blueberry, peppers, and anything remotely corn derived, corntaminated.

Currently off all allergy medications for airborne allergies and breathing fine.

#4 chrissy

chrissy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 03:56 PM

it usually happens right after i eat corn----but my throat feels the same way tonight after dinner and i didn't eat anything with corn??
Christine

#5 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:33 PM

if you end up needing this, it was recently updated (taken from a member of the Delphi corn forum):

http:// cornfree .blogspot .com/ (without the spaces, though!)

#6 chrissy

chrissy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:17 PM

thanks!
Christine

#7 Simply_V

Simply_V

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:47 PM

it usually happens right after i eat corn----but my throat feels the same way tonight after dinner and i didn't eat anything with corn??

If it happens right after, please stop eating corn. Look into avoiding corn. Corn derivatives etc. I'm not sure what you had for dinner, but most likely there was some form of corn.

From what you're describing it could be a start of your throat swelling. Tests for corn allergy are not all that accurate, avoiding and trying it again later is the only real accurate way to "test" for it.

But to avoid it is hard.
V
Severe airborne allergies since childhood. Was on constant antihisamines with behavior issues. Digestion issues started noticably around 1985.
1992 IBS diagnosis.
2004 Corn allergy - through diet discovery.
2005 RAST negative to all food allergies. High cholesterol diagnosed as PCOS.
2006 Immunolabs ELISA and IgE assay:
IgE to Corn, Milk, Eggs, & White Bean.
IgG to peppers, blk/wt pepper, beans, almonds, yeasts.
Neg. to Celiac, gluten, etc. High IgA level.
2008 No longer considered as having PCOS, or associated risks.

Currently avoiding corn, eggs, cow & goat milk, all beans (cept some soy derivatives & peanut oil), cruciferous veggies, onions/garlic, carrots/celery, anything bilberry/cranberry/blueberry, peppers, and anything remotely corn derived, corntaminated.

Currently off all allergy medications for airborne allergies and breathing fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: