Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Question About Corn Sensitivity

7 posts in this topic

i think i may be starting to have a problem with corn. we have been using so many more corn products since my girls were diagnosed with celiac that i think maybe i have either started an intolerance, or i am using enough of it now to bring an as-of-yet-unknown tolerance out into the light. did that make sence? when i eat corn products i get a thick, yucky feeling in the back of my throat that can last for hours---like i am having sinus drainage that is originating just below my sinuses. does this sound familier to anyone?

Ads by Google:

Chrissy,

I don't have the same symptoms that you do, but I cannot tolerate any corn whatsoever! Yes....you are making sense. It is confusing.

If you are looking to see if it the problem, try taking corn out. However, to get it truly out, it is really difficult. It is the obvious--tortillas, chips, baking mixes, canned corn, etc...and the less obvious-medicines, soft drinks, seasoning packets, enriched rice, etc etc.

Let me know if I can help in any way. www. cornallergen. com (without the spaces) has been a good resource for me in learning about corn.

Hope this helps-let me know what happens!

when i eat corn products i get a thick, yucky feeling in the back of my throat that can last for hours---like i am having sinus drainage that is originating just below my sinuses. does this sound familier to anyone?

I don't have that reaction to corn, though I do to blueberries. It sounds like an allergic reaction. Does it happen within 2 hours of eating corn (usually within 15-20 minutes)?

it usually happens right after i eat corn----but my throat feels the same way tonight after dinner and i didn't eat anything with corn??

if you end up needing this, it was recently updated (taken from a member of the Delphi corn forum):

http:// cornfree .blogspot .com/ (without the spaces, though!)

it usually happens right after i eat corn----but my throat feels the same way tonight after dinner and i didn't eat anything with corn??

If it happens right after, please stop eating corn. Look into avoiding corn. Corn derivatives etc. I'm not sure what you had for dinner, but most likely there was some form of corn.

From what you're describing it could be a start of your throat swelling. Tests for corn allergy are not all that accurate, avoiding and trying it again later is the only real accurate way to "test" for it.

But to avoid it is hard.