This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yogurt?

Nic

Nic Collaborator

I was just at back to school night and one of the aides asked if my son was the one with Celiac. She went on to say that she noticed I send in yogurt for him and that she is a Celiac as well and was told by her doctor not to eat yogurt. I have read the ingredients and they appear safe. Am I wrong?

Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kaycee Collaborator

I have read and heard somewhere that we should not eat yoghurt. But I think that is just being extra careful. Not all yoghurts have gluten, but some will. I check and recheck the yoghurts I eat, and have never had any reaction to it, except once, when I think it might have been the favour or colouring.

I tend to stick to the same yoghurt, it is plain and seems to have the least additives, but I add whatever I like to it and have no problem with that.

Catherine

Lisa Mentor

Again, I don't know where this information is comming from....

It's just that simple, read wheat, barley, rye, barley.

Yoplait , without the crumbs and such, is gluten-free.

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I eat and drink (the smoothies) Yoplait all the time. I have never had a problem. I have heard somewhere on here, I think, that Dannon will not guarentee that their flavors are gluten free. I think I remember something about their plain yogurt being ok. I am sure others can enlighten us about the Dannon.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I eat Yoplait all the time. They will not hide anything.

VydorScope Proficient
I eat and drink (the smoothies) Yoplait all the time. I have never had a problem. I have heard somewhere on here, I think, that Dannon will not guarentee that their flavors are gluten free. I think I remember something about their plain yogurt being ok. I am sure others can enlighten us about the Dannon.

Danon is completely untrust worthy in thier ingrendients from a gluten stand point, there is no way to know if they are safe or not, they much around with defintions, and make up new terms. I personaly will not knowingly eat anything with the Danon name on it, and certinlay would not risk my son to them.

It's just that simple, read wheat, barley, rye, barley.

In America you have to add OATS to that list as all mainstream oats in America are contiminated with wheat. I also always add malt to that list, just for carlity since its often listed by itself.

• 2 weeks later...
Gamecreature Rookie

After finishing a round of antibiotics, I grabbed a yogurt container to try and replace some of the bacteria in my gut. It was Breyer's Cream Savers Strawberries and Cream. I read the label, but evidently not carefully enough. I could have sworn it said "corn starch," but I started feeling glutening symptoms afterward. I checked the ingredients on the website and it contains modified food starch, a big red flag for gluten in my book. :( I feel foolish because I was doing so well up til now. I hope it passes soon...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hez Enthusiast

There are several yogurts that are safe for celiacs to eat. Yoplait (made by Kraft), Mountain High Yougurt (says gluten-free on the container and is lower in sugar than other brands), and Kroger yogurts (if I remember correctly VydorScope called and found out they were safe). Hope this helps.

Hez

RiceGuy Collaborator

Here's an article about a really interesting dairy-free, vegan yogurt that's also gluten-free:

Open Original Shared Link

It's made with soy (gee, what a surprise), apparently quite a nutritious item, perhaps even healthier than the "real thing".

lindalee Enthusiast

If you have a yogurt maker you can make your own and know that it is safe. Does anyone do that? :rolleyes:

RiceGuy Collaborator
If you have a yogurt maker you can make your own and know that it is safe. Does anyone do that? :rolleyes:

I believe that's true as long as you make sure the live cultures you buy are grown from gluten-free stuff.

grantschoep Contributor

Last year, when I was very sick(Spent basically May, June and July in the hospital) I was having Dannon Strawberry yogurt I had called the company a few times, and they basically wouldn't say it was or wasn't. But, it didn't make me sick. I was in a low enough state of health that even tiiny cross contaimination was enough to make me horrible ill. But then the meds I was taking were harsh too.

I was one of the few people that I think had a good hospital exp. with the food. The hospital had a gluten free menu. Two of my nurses had celiac children. They had a briefing with all the nurses that worked shifts on the floor and made them aware of what I could and couldn't eat. They did send my plate back a number of times I didn't even know. They also had two different head chefs of the kitchen come up and talk to me. It was Both chefs said they would prepare my meal themselves. The only time my meal was sent back, was breakfast time, when a few didn't realize they couldn't use the deep fry'ers. But the nurses caught it each time(ok once they didn't but they had already warned me)

I was basically told by the hospital nutrionist. order whatever you want, ignore what the "daily menu" has. Order of the gluten free menu, they can make you whatever you want. I enjoyed a plain chicken breast and baked potato(or two) for lunch and dinner. I had eggs for breakfast, and pan fried hash browns (Ore-Ida)

A few of the nurses even went across the street during lunch breaks and bought those delicious Wild Oats gluten free chocolate chip cookies for me. My Dr. actually ordered me to eat half a package of those cookies a day( I had lost 50 pounds in about a month. was only waying 118 for a bit)

In any event I rambled too much. The Danon didn't bother me, the strawberry kind that is. But then they special ordered Yoplait for me after one nurse just said I should have that instead of Danon.

lindalee Enthusiast

That is fantastic. We ought to fax that testimony to all our hospitals! :rolleyes:

I've been eating the plain Dannon. After this I will try yoplait and koger. :)

Saz Explorer

Here In Aus we get this youghurt called Fruche wich is a one of foamy youghurts. Anyway SOME of them are gluten free- its says so on the side of pack of the ones that are but I would double check just to be sure. Anway they taste good.

Archived