17 replies to this topic

#1 pogirl1786

pogirl1786

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 06:55 AM

my church has gluten free wafers that i can take for communion, but i was wondering....if i dipped my gluten free wafer in the same juice as everyone else, wouldn't that get me some gluten? i don't know why i didn't think about it before, but i was wondering what anyone else did for communion...just not take anything, or what?
"It's not about the ending, it's about the journey."

"I don't care about the past, I believe in the power to reinvent yourself."

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 09:06 AM

I am not a expert by any means but I would not chance it. Perhaps youjr celebrant could bless a seperate small glass for the celiacs?
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 LeeV

LeeV

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 06:40 AM

Hello,

My daughter was diagnosed 2 months ago and hasn't been able to receive communion since. Where does your church get their gluten free wafers? I don't know if you read an article recently about a little girl w/celiac who made her first communion w/a gluten free wafer. The priest from her parish was reprimanded for allowing it and they turned around and would not consider her having made her communion. It was null and voided! How unfair.

Lee

#4 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:03 AM

I wouldn't at all take the chance!!!! YOu would defenitly get some gluten because there are wafer crumbs in there and then as soon as you put your gluten-free wafer in there it ccan pick up the gluten crumbs adn you can get sick
Molly

#5 sctwelk

sctwelk

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:48 AM

Remember the communion wafer is just a symbol and shouldn't be viewed as anything as special as the Pope/church would like you to believe! Communion does not bring you any closer to God, He knows and sees our hearts! I bring my own wafer-substitute for communion at my church. Only God sees and knows what is going on and I know He understands! PTL.

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:24 AM

I assume that if you dip the wafer in a community vessel you might get some tiny fraction of gluten. I'm not very sensitive so I'm not certain it's something I would worry about once a month, to be be completely safe you could ask to be first or to have a a separate cup.

It's hard for non-Catholics to understand how important communion is to Catholics (I am NOT Catholic). Not being able to take full communion cause deep spiritual pain for some Catholics.

richard

#7 Alexolua

Alexolua

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:14 AM

I'm not very sensitive so I'm not certain it's something I would worry about once a month

Having been raised Catholic, I know it would be more than once a month. My family, it would be once a week. Think that was normal? Though if someone is going to church more, than that'd be getting it more than though.

No offense or anything. Just thought I'd mention that, since you didn't know, not being Catholic. =)

pogirl1786 -> I'd agree with Molly, don't risk it. Maybe you can just take it without it being dipped if you can't get a seperate glass of wine? My church, we took the waffer, than took a sip of wine.. though I never took the wine, cuz it was yucky, LOL.

#8 Niteyx13

Niteyx13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:34 AM

I am a non-denominational Christain and we take communion in church every week. We coincider it very important, not in the belief that it will bring us closer to the Lord, but because we feel we need to remember what Christ did for us more than just a couple of times a year and on Easter. So, it is not just catholics that find it special. We have a very nice quiet prayer/rememberance time during communion. We do the same thing in my church where we dip the bread in the juice as it is passed around. There is one other lady that I know of with diagnosed celiac in my church and we both use gluten-free wafers that the church provides. Neither of us have ever had any problems. I would say unless you are extremely sensitive then it would be alittle paranoid to be afraid of getting gluten from communion as long as you are using a gluten-free wafer. Just my opinion.

Deanna

#9 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:18 PM

Many denominations do communion just once a month with a few more thrown in for special occasions. I would NOT eat the host with gluten myself. When I made the once a month comment, I was talking about dipping a gluten-free host in wine that might be contaminated by crumbs from non-gluten-free hosts. Obviously this would not happen in the Catholic church since gluten-free hosts are not allowed. I was, in fact, aware that it would be more than once a month in the Catholic church. I got lots of Catholic friends.

richard

#10 Alexolua

Alexolua

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:31 PM

Sorry then Richard. Good points, and no offense meant. Was just trying to be overly helpful, like usual. Not always a good thing. =)

#11 kvogt

kvogt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:17 PM

Remember the communion wafer is just a symbol and shouldn't be viewed as anything as special as the Pope/church would like you to believe! Communion does not bring you any closer to God, He knows and sees our hearts! I bring my own wafer-substitute for communion at my church. Only God sees and knows what is going on and I know He understands! PTL.

Communion is NOT a symbol in the Catholic faith. It's much more than that to us. I request that non-Catholics cease posting disrespectful comments and opinions about something you are simply not qualified to discuss. This is not the forum for it. Please take it someplace else.

#12 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:34 PM

While I would no longer call myself a Catholic, when I was, I DID see communion as a symbol. Not all Catholics believe in transubstantiation, no matter what the church teaches.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#13 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 05:37 AM

------

#14 Niteyx13

Niteyx13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 01:01 PM

What is transubstantiation? I know very little about catholism, so I am curious.

Deanna

#15 catfish

catfish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 01:16 PM

Communion is NOT a symbol in the Catholic faith. It's much more than that to us. I request that non-Catholics cease posting disrespectful comments and opinions about something you are simply not qualified to discuss. This is not the forum for it. Please take it someplace else.

Not everyone on Earth is Catholic, and in most religions it IS symbolic, so please be respectful of that too. For one to say that communion is symbolic is not disrespectful to you any more than it is for you to say that it is not symbolic is disrespectful to them. Nobody can force you to agree with them but that doesn't mean that they haven't any right to post their opinions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: