8 replies to this topic

#1 celiacgirls

celiacgirls

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:19 AM

This past weekend, my 8 year old daughter was complaining that she was always thirsty. Then on Tuesday, my husband noticed she had acetone breath. She has had it before, last January, and they did the blood sugar test in the pediatrician's office and it was fine. They said her bad breath could be from not brushing her teeth properly. I don't really buy that but it did go away until now. She had just brushed her teeth when my husband noticed it. Because of the increased thirst and the acetone breath, I have her scheduled for the blood test again on Monday, when her doctor gets back from vacation.

Are there any other causes of acetone breath that aren't related to diabetes? Even if her blood sugar is ok, could this be a sign she is at risk of diabetes?

I'm already expecting the doctor to think I'm just an overzealous mom. I did tell her the girls are on a gluten-free/CF diet due to Enterolab and she didn't seem overly interested one way or the other, so maybe there is hope she will be ok with this.
Karen

gluten free 4/06
casein free 7/06
DQ1, DQ8

Daughter (11) gluten free 5/06, casein free 6/06

Daughter (9) gluten free 3/06, casein free 7/06, soy free, trying peanut free
vegetarian
gluten lite on and off since 1999

All dx'ed by Enterolab

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:21 AM

I don't know about acetone breath, but I notice my kids get very bad breath even right after they've brushed if they have loose teeth, even slightly loose, it's like you can smell the root rotting away.

I'd still have her checked out to be sure, but it's not unusual for a kid to have bad breath.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#3 2kids4me

2kids4me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:52 AM

This is an excellent link that discusses why a non-diabetic child may have acetone breath.

http://www.childrenw...10/d_0d_bc8.htm

a bit from that link:

My six year old adopted son has had acetone breath consistently for several weeks. I've tested his urine with the strips for glucose and ketones twice, and they are both negative. He has had this previously only when he was slightly dehydrated from bouts of nausea and vomiting. He is otherwise perfectly healthy and active and has no symptoms of diabetes. We have a dog with diabetes which is why I am familiar with the signs and the breath odor and have the urine strips. Are there other causes of acetone breath in an otherwise normal six year old? In view of the negative strips should I still have his blood glucose tested?

Answer:

Not everyone can smell acetone, but if you can, the most sensitive vehicle is the breath which may explain why urine testing has been negative. Ketosis in children can occur when the body is unable to get sufficient basal energy needs from the metabolism of carbohydrate and resorts to the breakdown of fat stores with the production of ketones. This can occur because of diabetes, but, as you have noticed, this is most likely to occur when appetite is diminished by intercurrent illness. The same can happen if energy consumption is increased and a child is too busy to eat sufficiently.

I think it very unlikely that what you describe has anything to do with diabetes, but if you have a diabetic dog and the means of measuring blood sugars you might test your son after a period of energetic activity to see if it is low because the phenomenon I have described is called ketotic hypoglycemia.

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986
hypothyroid -1993
pernicious anemia
premature atrial beats
neuropathy
retinopathy
daughter is: age 15
central hypotonia and developmental delay
balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)
hypothyroid 1996
dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002
celiac 2004 - by endoscopy
diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet
recovered from Kawasaki (2003)
lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06
Gilberts syndrome (April/07)
allergy to stinging insects
scoliosis Jan 2008
nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008
allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13
type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday
celiac - 2004 by endoscopy
lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

#4 celiacgirls

celiacgirls

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:21 AM

Thanks. I'm glad to know there are other causes. I think I will get some of those test strips so I can test her when it happens.
Karen

gluten free 4/06
casein free 7/06
DQ1, DQ8

Daughter (11) gluten free 5/06, casein free 6/06

Daughter (9) gluten free 3/06, casein free 7/06, soy free, trying peanut free
vegetarian
gluten lite on and off since 1999

All dx'ed by Enterolab

#5 prinsessa

prinsessa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:03 AM

My kids get Acetone breath once in a while. I actually posted about this on this board before. My DD usually only has it when she is sick (and not eating much), but my DS has it a lot more often. I just found out that both of them are gluten intolerant. I wonder if my DS was getting acetone breath because he wasn't absorbing enough nutrients (he is also very skinny). I was also thinking about testing him with strips when I smell his breath like that. Diabetes (both type 1 and 2) run on DH's side of the family. I know children who have diabetes usually get sick really fast, but I still can't help but worry a little. I sure he is fine, but I still worry.

#6 2kids4me

2kids4me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:52 PM

any person, child or adult that has acetone breath as result of diabetic ketoacidosis is very sick and would be diagnosed quickly - becasue the symptoms would have you in the ER. Vomiting, stomach pain, pale, rapid repsiration, very sluggish, very thirsty / peeing alot and the synptoms would not improve or go away and then come back.

There are other reasons for acetone on the breath (as mentioned in previuous post). Try not to worry. If the child is wanting to eat, chattering away, and interested in things going on around them, picking fights with siblings - then it is not diabetes.

My son was diagnosed with diabetes at age 9 and he wasnt even ketoacidotic yet. The peeing/drinking fatigue precedes the acidosis stage. Even without acetone breath it was clear that something was terribly wrong.
Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986
hypothyroid -1993
pernicious anemia
premature atrial beats
neuropathy
retinopathy
daughter is: age 15
central hypotonia and developmental delay
balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)
hypothyroid 1996
dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002
celiac 2004 - by endoscopy
diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet
recovered from Kawasaki (2003)
lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06
Gilberts syndrome (April/07)
allergy to stinging insects
scoliosis Jan 2008
nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008
allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13
type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday
celiac - 2004 by endoscopy
lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

#7 Kim miller

Kim miller

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

My daughter had that off and on for 20 yrs.  We finally went to a gastroenterologist who did a hydrogen breath test and then tested her for H. Pylori bacteria which came back positive.  She was put on antibiotics and then heavy doses of acidopholis for years.  When we finally found out she had Celiac and she went gluten free, it went away completely.   It's is such a social problem for someone at any age. Hope this helps!

#8 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

My daughter had that off and on for 20 yrs.  We finally went to a gastroenterologist who did a hydrogen breath test and then tested her for H. Pylori bacteria which came back positive.  She was put on antibiotics and then heavy doses of acidopholis for years.  When we finally found out she had Celiac and she went gluten free, it went away completely.   It's is such a social problem for someone at any age. Hope this helps!

Just an FYI - you are responding to a post from 2006.  The poster hasn't been on since 2008

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:28 AM

Hi Kim,

If the h. pylori does come back someday, you can try some natural treatments for it.  DGL and mastic gum are two natural treatments that help.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: