4 replies to this topic

#1 cynicaltomorrow

cynicaltomorrow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 09:39 AM

Is there a list somewhere of things to avoid when avoiding casein. I know the basics.. but are there as many things to look for as there are when avoiding gluten? I'm pretty sure the casein is my problem. I tried Lactaid and still got sick.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 10:05 AM

Lactaid only helps you consume LACTOSE (milk sugar) without symptoms, not CASEIN (milk protein) which you must avoid. :o The gfcfdiet website at www.gfcfdiet.com lists foods and ingredients to avoid. They also publish a mainstream product shopping guide as well as list of nondairy calcium containing foods and mystery ingredients (possibly containing casein) to avoid. :)
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 cynicaltomorrow

cynicaltomorrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 10:16 AM

Thanks alot Burdee. The Lactaid was my own little test before going to the doctor.

#4 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 01:43 PM

I have one of the gluten-free/cf product guides and I highly recommend it to anyone who needs to avoid gluten and casein. My three kids and I follow the gluten-free/cf diet and although it is a challenge, it is certainly worth the effort. We are all doing a lot better in regards to our health.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#5 kvogt

kvogt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 08:25 AM

Be aware that so-called non-dairy creamers often contain sodium caseinate. Casein is the protein in milk that bothers us. Non-dairy creamers bother me. I switched to Silk brank soy creamer and it hits the spot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: