15 replies to this topic

#1 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:01 AM

My mom got me this magazine for my birthday and I just now got my first issue. WOW!!! I am super impressed. I expected the magazine to be much thicker than it is. They make up for the lack in bulk with their content though. The focus, at least in this issue, seems to really focus on gluten free/casein free diets. There are wonderful articles on living allergen free and how to manage. There is even an extensive recipe section with delicious looking recipes. I can't wait to try some of these, they look so good. I've been trying to limit my casein lately and these recipes are all gluten/casein free. Even the advertisements are useful for a Celiac. I would definitely recommend this magazine to anyone with Celiac disease and/or other allergies.

On a side note, Woodchuck Cider has an ad in this magazine. How cool is that!!! I didn't know they were actually marketing their cider to Celiacs. Way way cool for a company like that to discover us as a niche market. If only more mainstream companies could discover the "Celiac loyalty".
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:43 AM

I get this, and I love it! I haven't yet made one thing from it, but at least I know I can!!
Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05
Negative Bloodwork ~
Dr. encourages me to trust my
"Gut Reaction"

#3 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:54 AM

I love that magazine....ordered a subscription for my mom, even! It is great!

#4 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:59 AM

Yes, I also love this magazine. Such great recipes too. I loved the chicken mole from last issue...yum!
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:17 AM

I love this magazine, too, but still haven't subscribed. I just pick it up at Whole Foods. :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:19 AM

I love this magazine, too, but still haven't subscribed. I just pick it up at Whole Foods. :)

Make the leap Patti !!
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:21 AM

Make the leap Patti !!

I know, Jen--it's one of those things I mean to do when I buy a copy, then just don't :ph34r: I will, though! :D
Patti

#8 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:45 AM

I know, Jen--it's one of those things I mean to do when I buy a copy, then just don't :ph34r: I will, though! :D

:D You know, my issue will be never wanting to throw out any issues. I haven't yet, just want to hang on to all those recipes.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#9 TriticusToxicum

TriticusToxicum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:49 AM

:D You know, my issue will be never wanting to throw out any issues. I haven't yet, just want to hang on to all those recipes.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem! My wife tried to throw out my woodworking magazines once. I built a bookcase for them in retalliation! :P
Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05
Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est

#10 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:40 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem! My wife tried to throw out my woodworking magazines once. I built a bookcase for them in retalliation! :P

Yep--my house is the same way! My husband and son subscribe to every car magazine known to man--and keep every issue. I have to say I'm the same way with Living Without and Body and Soul--never know when I'll need to refer to them. :ph34r:

We're drowning in magazines :o
Patti

#11 TriticusToxicum

TriticusToxicum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:56 AM

Yep--my house is the same way! My husband and son subscribe to every car magazine known to man--and keep every issue. I have to say I'm the same way with Living Without and Body and Soul--never know when I'll need to refer to them. :ph34r:

We're drowning in magazines :o

Get your hubby a subscription to American Woodworker. Then he'll make you a bookcase! ;)
Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05
Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est

#12 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:58 AM

Do these recipes use a lot of soy? I may need to check this one out. I got one issue of gluten free living, wasn't super impressed....a lot of money.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#13 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:16 AM

Andrea, I got one issue of Gluten Free Living and was disgusted. I didn't like it at all. I felt as though it was entirely too opinionated.

The recipes in the Fall 2006 Living Without magazine mostly seem to be soy free. There are a few in which I noticed soy as an ingredient, but certainly not most. Actually, as I read through them, they almost all are soy free. And there are LOTS of them too, it's not just 3 or 4 recipes. I'd say there are well over 30 recipes (I stopped counting at 31)! Almost all appear to be gluten/casein/soy free.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#14 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:17 AM

Do these recipes use a lot of soy? I may need to check this one out. I got one issue of gluten free living, wasn't super impressed....a lot of money.

Yeah, there are quite a few of us here who aren't the biggest fans of the magazine. Hmm. Well, the magazine is for all types of food allergies, so I would say most of the recipes would be easy for you to make soy free if they aren't already. All the recipes are gluten-free and most are cf. But the instructions usually talk about substituting ingredients too.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#15 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:22 AM

Thanks you two. :D

I will definately check this magazine out. The gluten free store I shop at has them I think. That's where I got the other magazine.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: