Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

The Funny Pages - Tickle Me Elbow - The Original

51,027 posts in this topic

Just got back from the Bluegrass festival. Fun fun. I played with snakes. :) I didn't Seuss last night, and probably won't check tonight. I think it's pretty stressful for him. I'll try to do a daytime check tomorrow, and if that's unsuccessful I'll drag him out of bed.

Ads by Google:

Just got back from the Bluegrass festival. Fun fun. I played with snakes. :)

I'm jealous! If I didn't live across the country is have been there too! Glad you had a good time, but real snakes?

Well, after procrastinating for ever, we finally started our exodus from the analog world into digital. Two weeks ago I acquired a new digital camera. I had had one since 2005, but this is way beyond the quick point-and-shoot one (which died).

Over the past week, I liquidated a large number of Aeroplan frequent flyer points, turning them into gift cards.

A makeover of our living room entertainment stuff resulted. We replaced an eleven-year-old 27" CRT television with a 42" 1080p LCD one. We replaced our equally old DVD player with a Blu-Ray one. We put it all on a new stand, replacing the one I got in 1978. Yes, you read that correctly. For the moment, the turntable is stored, but it will come back at some point so I can transfer the remaining vinyl to digital bits.

The view mid-day Saturday:

DSCF0251.jpg

Late Sunday:

DSCF0266.jpg

The TV is operating on the SD analog signal. HD Digital will be coming soon. Even so, the picture quality is great, compared to the CRT.

The 27" CRT replaced a 19" CRT in the master bedroom. The 19" version, acquired in 1982, will be recycled.

Wow! I still have all my old analog stuff! Even a turntable and vcr (neither of which is hooked up, however). Figured I'd worry about replacing my tv if I ever started watching tv again...

Wee bit sunburnt here. Spent the afternoon watching the pirate clean the bottom of his boat. My role was mainly to hand him things and listen to him swear when he dropped them. :)

Wow Peter! LOVE the update. You should take some of those LP's and frame the covers if they're vintage 60's and 70's (like us). ;)

But where did the squirrels go? :huh: They're in the top pic but not the bottom.

We just updated our family room TV to LCD a couple of months ago. I thought we were the last ones but I guess not. We only got the one new TV, so the TV in the bedroom and the one in the basement that the kids use when we tell the to "go away, this show isn't for you" is still the old stuff. St Vincent DePaul wouldn't even take our old TV (and it was nice, cable ready, still working . . . and heavy as he11).

It looks nice, Peter.

But where did the squirrels go? :huh: They're in the top pic but not the bottom.

Must bring them back. They migrated to another room as the activity started, and are still there. They are shy of noise and action.

Uh, please turn the page so I can read the posts. :D Oooh, much better.

Congrats Peter, looks like a much needed upgrade ;)

Looks terrific, POeter.... .. ..and yes, get that li'l squirrel back in there. I see you've got many woodland creatures congregating -- racoons, bears ... . ..... ..a veritable Canadian landscape. The only thing missing seems to be an empty Molson Ex bottle.... . . .but I suppose around these parts it would only be a Redbridge....

if they're vintage 60's and 70's (like us). ;)

:lol:

Looking good Peter! I hear that LPs and turn tables are "cool" again.

PeOte, the entertainment center looks great! We have the same size TV (bought it in Texas) --you're gonna love it.

Speaking of TV, is anyone watching the new "Dallas" ? We were fans of the old one and are really enjoying this new version.

For all those concerned about the critters, the squirrel and beaver have returned to their home.

DSC00251.jpg

For all those concerned about the critters, the squirrel and beaver have returned to their home.

(((Whew)))... . ...Thank gawd.. . ...now I can get on with things -- my lunch, errands....

:lol:

thought this was cute. Enjoy!

100% perfect catching... man dunno that I could have done that!

DSC00251.jpg

WOW! I'm impressed. We've been digital for as long as I can remember. I hope you enjoy good times!

Hugs,

Loey

Awwwwwww. There's a guy with potential.

.....but can he dance? :unsure:

DSC00251.jpg

My house has a sea turtle, a great blue heron and a manatee.

Why am I living in Indiana? :blink:

My house has a sea turtle, a great blue heron and a manatee.

Quite the mix, Leesighua!

How's school?

Quite the mix, Leesighua!

How's school?

Quite a challenge the first 2 days. So tempted to vent on fb but that can be trouble. The special ed department knew I was coming but not the office. I have spent the last 2 days asking and searching.....while trying to put my student's needs first.

First you must understand that the 9th grade academy has it's own office. The MAIN office services the entire high school (including some 9th grade issues, I have now learned)and is a good trek to the other side of the building.

Where are the mailboxes?

Oh.....who are you? Where did you come from? We don't have one for you. In fact, we may need to reconfigure our mailboxes (wanders off talking to other person about mailboxes that are too high to reach.)

Where are the timeclocks?

(Most people had no clue, or thought I was talking about clocks in the hallways <_< )or....

Oh...they're not working. 2nd day I decided to try clocking in by computer but the ones in my 1st class didn't work.(By the way....later the 2nd day learned the timeclocks really did work)

I need to have my time entered in the computer for today.

You need to see so n so in the main office. So n so says I need to see so n so #2. So n so #2 says I'm not in her system and I need to e-mail so n so #3

Where does the staff eat lunch?

Oh we have several lounges....just ask someone to unlock it (but WHERE are they???)

Where can I get keys?

You need to go to the main office.

Then....I'll put in a request for you. It will take a couple of days.

(btw.....the staff potties are in the lounges.... and the refrigerators. I've been carrying around my lunch for 2 days)

Discovered I needed a parking pass after a cop got testy with me.

Where can I get a parking pass?

You need to go to the main office. So when I asked about timeclocks the first day, I asked....if they WERE working...where would I find them. She took me back through the office labrynth and showed me, Then I asked about getting a parking pass.

Just go back the way you came and go to the center desk. Yep....sure did get lost

I need to get the school e-mail. I'm still getting it from my old school.

You need to call the help desk. Then....

We don't have any record of you working there. We'll have to get it ok'd by the superintendent. It'll take a couple of days

So......I have a parking pass, no keys, no e-mail,no room to call home, (although one person said I could share her office, but alas...I have no key) no mailbox (and no locker, yet, btw). But I have hopes that my ID badge will work in the timeclock tomorrow.

Shouldn't most of this stuff already been taken care of? I think I've convinced someone to put together a welcome packet for future new people.

The good news is....... a lot of people know my name now!

How crazy! Can I assume this is our public school system? And I wonder where the effort has gone for our teacher to motivate our children. :huh:

How crazy! Can I assume this is our public school system? And I wonder where the effort has gone for our teacher to motivate our children. :huh:

Oh yes. It's administration that dropped the ball. Very hard to do my job whilst trying to resolve all these issues. Seems others I have talked to have had similar experiences.....yet the problem still exists.

Oye Lise-- how positively exhausting! That building must be huge.

It is.

"Today, --------- High School and the ------- Career Center cover almost one million square feet "under one roof." The --------- building project has brought state-of-the-art renovations for the nearly 3,900 students. These additions and renovations have included a ninth grade academy that includes forty classrooms, new field house, and a natatorium."