This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bad Stomach For Almost 2 Days....need Reassurance

Stacie H.

Stacie H. Apprentice

Hi,

I posted yesterday in the "Healing Time After Glutening" thread, but it seems I did so hastily...

After 4 months gluten free, my husband has had quite an improvement, until the last 2 days. He complained of feeling bloated after eathing Wednesday night, and had diarrhea yesterday...the first time in a couple of months, I think. The thing that bothered me is he said it looked like some of the food hadn't even been processed...blechh! He's doing better today, but is still very, very uncomfortable.

I KNOW he wasn't gluten, as our home is completely gluten-free. I do have cheese and crackers on occasion, as I mentioned in the other thread, but I'm very careful with it and haven't had crackers in the house for weeks. I cook everything from scratch and we both come home for lunch during the week. We did have a store-bought rotisserie chicken the other night, but we've had the same thing many times with no problems.

I'm trying not to get discouraged, but I told him that if this continues, he really should see a gastroenterologist....not necessarily to get tested for Celiac (I don't think he'll intentionally eat gluten again), but moreso to rule out anything else.

He feels part of the blame is the medications he is on. And unfortunately, he cannot stop taking them. He's taking thyroid medication (thyroid removed 2+ years ago due to cancer), calcium supplements (due to parathryoid damage after 4 neck surgeries) and blood pressure medication. None of the meds have gluten, we've checked it out, and none of his toiletries have changed. But I sometimes wonder if he isn't on to something, because the few times he has forgotten to take his meds, he really seems to feel better. Before his cancer, he never took anything stronger than an occasional aspirin, so the meds are hard on his stomach.

Could this just be a case of having a bad couple of days, or is there anything else we should think about?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Stacie, sorry your husband isn't feeling well :(

The thing that I would consider first would be the chicken. Even if he's eaten it before with no problem, it's made somewhere other than your kitchen and there is always the possibility of cross contamination.

Since he's been fine for a few months now, I would wait a few days and that way, if it was the chicken, he should be feeling better.

If it is something that persists, you could look into other food intolerances or in his case, I'd check with his doctor because of his medical history.

Please keep us posted on him!

happygirl Collaborator

Stacie,

I'm sorry that your husband is ill! I hope he recovers quickly.

I would be highly suspicious of the chicken. I would say the vast majority of rotisserie chickens have wheat in some form. Plus, the risk of cross contamination (with other flavors that might not be safe) is very high.

Laura

Stacie H. Apprentice

Geez, do I feel like an idiot!!

I actually realized after I reread what I posted....it must have been the chicken! It really didn't occur to me until then!

Back to baking whole chickens myself, I guess. I usually only grab a chicken at the store when I'm in a pinch.

Thanks!

happygirl Collaborator

no, we have no idiots on this forum! we all make our fair share of mistakes...but that is why this board is here. to HELP! No matter what the answer is, we just want your poor husband to be ok.

Keep us updated...hopefully that will help solve the prob!

:D

Stacie H. Apprentice
no, we have no idiots on this forum! we all make our fair share of mistakes...but that is why this board is here. to HELP! No matter what the answer is, we just want your poor husband to be ok.

Keep us updated...hopefully that will help solve the prob!

:D

I will. I feel really horrible though, because today for lunch he ate...you guess it...leftover chicken! Luckily he only ate a tiny bit.

I'm going to throw it our right now.

jerseyangel Proficient

Yes--get it out of the house before it can cause any more problems!!! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nikki-uk Enthusiast
Geez, do I feel like an idiot!!

Don't be too hard on yourself-it's a constant learning curve!! :)

Live and learn!! :D

mortamer Newbie

Hi Stacie, sorry your husband isn't feeling well :(

The thing that I would consider first would be the chicken. Even if he's eaten it before with no problem, it's made somewhere other than your kitchen and there is always the possibility of cross contamination.

Since he's been fine for a few months now, I would wait a few days and that way, if it was the chicken, he should be feeling better.

If it is something that persists, you could look into other food intolerances or in his case, I'd check with his doctor because of his medical history.

Please keep us posted on him!

Hi Stacie, I agree about the chicken being the problem. I have to admit though, for what ever reason I still have CRAZY stomach days. We have a gluten free home so I know it's not due to gluten. We also live by the rule "when in doubt , do without". Three nights ago I woke with pain that foled me over. It lasted the whole night and it took 2 days to recover from it. Sometimes I think it's just the nature of the beast.

Stacie H. Apprentice

Hi Stacie, I agree about the chicken being the problem. I have to admit though, for what ever reason I still have CRAZY stomach days. We have a gluten free home so I know it's not due to gluten. We also live by the rule "when in doubt , do without". Three nights ago I woke with pain that foled me over. It lasted the whole night and it took 2 days to recover from it. Sometimes I think it's just the nature of the beast.

Ugh...I don't like hearing that!

Well, it's been a week and a half since the chicken. The diarrhea stopped within a day or so, which is good. But he's still got the cramping (worse in the morning), worse than before the chicken. He describes it as though his guts are being twisted.

He's particulary upset this weekend because a friend is having a get together for Canadian Thanksgiving. She's going out of her way to prepare a gluten free batch of turkey/trimmings (meaning that she's not cooking the dressing in the turkey, and she is going to have DH and another friend who is gluten-free get their plate first, before any contamination.)

But we are disappointed because what WAS a small gathering has exploded into 60 people, most of whom we don't know. That upset him (and me), but we aren't the hosts, so what can we do? He doesn't want to be around a lot of people because he feels like he'll be dealing w/ questions about his health all day...and he's right. Most don't know about us being gluten-free, but they all know about the cancer. My other concern is that the more folks there, the more risk of contamination.

Overall, he's wound up and not having a good day. He wants to get out, but doesn't feel good. Overall, we are both just sick of him being sick.

So, we've opted to go ahead, get dressed and go early. Visit w/ our friends (the hosts), eat a bit before it gets too crowded, and then head home.

Sometimes I get so sad because this all started just before we got married, so we've both missed out on the "typical" newlywed stuff. Now I feel like our lives will never be "typical."

oceangirl Collaborator
Ugh...I don't like hearing that!

Well, it's been a week and a half since the chicken. The diarrhea stopped within a day or so, which is good. But he's still got the cramping (worse in the morning), worse than before the chicken. He describes it as though his guts are being twisted.

He's particulary upset this weekend because a friend is having a get together for Canadian Thanksgiving. She's going out of her way to prepare a gluten free batch of turkey/trimmings (meaning that she's not cooking the dressing in the turkey, and she is going to have DH and another friend who is gluten-free get their plate first, before any contamination.)

But we are disappointed because what WAS a small gathering has exploded into 60 people, most of whom we don't know. That upset him (and me), but we aren't the hosts, so what can we do? He doesn't want to be around a lot of people because he feels like he'll be dealing w/ questions about his health all day...and he's right. Most don't know about us being gluten-free, but they all know about the cancer. My other concern is that the more folks there, the more risk of contamination.

Overall, he's wound up and not having a good day. He wants to get out, but doesn't feel good. Overall, we are both just sick of him being sick.

So, we've opted to go ahead, get dressed and go early. Visit w/ our friends (the hosts), eat a bit before it gets too crowded, and then head home.

Sometimes I get so sad because this all started just before we got married, so we've both missed out on the "typical" newlywed stuff. Now I feel like our lives will never be "typical."

Stacie,

I'm sorry it's so hard right now. Your husband's symptoms sound like me sometimes (right now, actually, and Im going on 8 months gluten-free) It is so frustrating and depressing and yet, I do take some heart from Mortamer's post about "the nature of the beast" because often I CAN'T FIND the culprit for my woes! But I would not willingly ingest one grain of gluten if you gave me a zillion dollars (world peace, maybe...) because I KNOW it's like kryptonite for me! Sorry, making a Superman reference without actually having READ the comic strip so don't know how to spell "kryptonite". Please tell your husband he's not alone, and both of you trust it WILL get better!

To health!

lisa

Archived