Well That Does It.....

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AutumnE_*

Guest_AutumnE_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:00 PM

I always thought paleo diet was a choice :angry:

I know I have to just get over this and suck it up but it stinks!

Now Im having problems with dairy and corn for sure and now rice or all grains possibly, tonight after a little testing. *Sorry if tmi* but Im bleeding and that cant be good! My sciatica with the big *D* has come back fully. My legs and back are killing me tonight and havent hurt since march. It was only gluten that did that before but apparently I cant tolerate much at all right now.

I'm so depressed right now, I hate the thought of plain meat, veggies and fruit for the rest of my life. I had a super crappy day today everything went wrong. I even started a kitchen fire! I forgot my pyrex plastic lid was in the oven and turned up the temperature. I smell something and look in the kitchen and the lid is on fire in the stove. Plastic melted everywhere. I let it cool and picked it out and tonight I need to spray oven cleaner in there so I can use it again. I have had a brain fog all day and cant think clearly and Im sure its do to all the stupid testing I have done.

Im crying right now and sitting on a pillow, I dont have hemorroids but its so sore I cant sit normally. Thankfully my daughter is gluten free so when she is older she doesnt have to deal with this.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:20 PM

Babe, the best thing I can tell you is to just shut it down tonight. Tomorrow is another day. I am sorry that your's was so crappy. Life sucks sometimes.

Get a good nights sleep, and get back with us in the morning.

Lisa
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:23 PM

Autumn.....many hugs to you on this crappy day. Hopefully this is the worst of it and things will start looking up.

Maybe don't think of Paleo diet for the rest of your life....but just for a time. I *think* most people can introduce foods back in after a while, and let's hope this is the case with you. I would work on creativity and variety with the veggies and get an interesting vegetarian cookbook. Can you use spices? gluten-free vinegars? just a thought. And getting creative with salads.

Hang in there..... :)

blessings.
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

#4 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:31 PM

Some times some one, esply adluts with celiac disease has secondary intolerences (esply milk!) because of the damage done to thier body by the gluten response. And in those cases, most of the time, after the body has healed they can SLOWLY reintorduce the foods and be okay with them. Only time will tell for sure...

- Vincent -

#5 Guest_AutumnE_*

Guest_AutumnE_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:32 PM

I dont know of any spices or salad dressings without some kind of corn derivative, dairy, soy and gluten free. If anyone on here does I would love a name or recipe. My only savior has been my pop, I know pitiful but it kept me going and now I know why I have been having problems lately. I guess its back to plain water.

I cant eat soy because of my thyroid issues.

Im hoping I can reintroduce them again, man this is such a major life change I hope it doesnt stay.

Good night all :)

#6 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:37 PM

Good, off to bed for you!

There is a really tasty-smelling spice mix I just got at the Celiac conference at Stanford a few weeks ago. It's the BBQ mix by a company called Cali, and they make others, all gluten/dairy/soy and corn-free. Try this:

www.califinefoods.com

at least it's something to spice up your meats. It's at Whole Foods and probably other health food stores.

See you -
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

#7 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:14 PM

I use shallots, onion, salt, pepper, cumin seeds, lemon, cilantro (fresh), raw sauerkraut. I actually love the paleo diet for the most part. Meat rollups are great - meat, mustard, avocado, pepper, piece of salad?, raw sauerkraut?...yum. I eat these a lot, and like them very much. They don't seem plain.

Also, I cook a whole chicken now and again. You can make squash soup by baking a squash and an apple, also carmelizing an onion or two, then putting in food processor with salt, pepper, and some veggie or chicken broth. Yum. You can add cardomom here (you can get spices that say 100% cardomom, no preserv. no additives, etc...but cardomom also comes in pods you can use fresh, like nutmeg sortof).

I make my own trail mix, and it has interesting ingrediets: dried cherries, dried cranberries, walnuts, sunflower seeds, cut up prunes, raisins, cut up figs, and if you want, dried berries like blueberries, raspberriese, and strawberries, but if you add those, don't seal them up in ziplocks or they get all rehydrated and strange.

For lattes and the like there is almond milk, if you're not allergic, and today I found hazlenut (haven't tasted it yet). I get Pacific brand because it is soy free as well as gluten free - others have soy lecithin.

I had cashew encrusted halibut the other day that I play to replicate.

Spaghetti squash is good for putting meat/fish on top of and then using a sauce. It soaks up the sauce a bit like potato or rice, not the same, but works really well, especially with salmon and halibut.

Protein (fish or steak or chicken) on salad is really good. Think of dried fruits in your salad - yummy.

I know it's hard; it really is, I admit to that. But I find it to be worth it if it makes me feel better. Living life under the yoke of physical discomfort is no way to live...I feel so much better that now if I get goofy intestines or something, I am a real baby about it - how did I live life like this every day for 35 years?

Take care.

#8 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:46 PM

Bully4You - I am copying and pasting that entire page you just wrote - such good ideas and I'm not on paleolithic diet but plan to lean more that way (uh, potato chips and Hershey's chocolate aside :ph34r: )...any more good ideas? And...what kind of meat do you use in those rollups? I'm definitely going to try that. Oh, and what is raw saurkraut? is that just cabbage? I'm a bit clue-less on that...

thanks! great ideas.
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

#9 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:47 PM

aww. :( Hang in there, and have some chicken soup. Treat your tummy as though it's had the flu--eat thte things that you know will be easy on it for a week or two, and then, if you are feeling a lot better, introduce ONE new thing and see if your tummy's ready.

Do you have Costco near you? They have gluten-free roast chickens that are really yummy and gluten-free.

After you eat the meat, put the bones in your crock-pot on high for several hours, along with a couple of chopped onions, carrots, sweet potatoes (if you can eat them), a parsnip, dill, and parsley, ad water to cover.

Drain, refgrigerate, skim the fat (save it in the freezer to make gluten-free matzoh balls using potato buds), add noodles and some frozen peas and carrots, and sliced green onions, and your tummy will be very happy.

Is dark chocolate on the paleo diet?

#10 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:53 PM

I dont know of any spices or salad dressings without some kind of corn derivative, dairy, soy and gluten free. If anyone on here does I would love a name or recipe. My only savior has been my pop, I know pitiful but it kept me going and now I know why I have been having problems lately. I guess its back to plain water.

I cant eat soy because of my thyroid issues.

Im hoping I can reintroduce them again, man this is such a major life change I hope it doesnt stay.

Good night all :)

Buy your spices individually, not blended. They are pure that way. And make your salads with oil and vinegar or lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Nothing

#11 IrishKelly

IrishKelly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:53 PM

Some times some one, esply adluts with celiac disease has secondary intolerences (esply milk!) because of the damage done to thier body by the gluten response. And in those cases, most of the time, after the body has healed they can SLOWLY reintorduce the foods and be okay with them. Only time will tell for sure...

YEP...i agree with this. Just try to hang in there with plain soft cooked meats (like boiled chicken), soft cooked veggies and fruit, and then when things are all healed you should be able to re-introduce the others slowly back in, i'm going through this with you right now, and yes, IT SUCKS!! But, if we all hang in there together, we will all be able to eat normally for the most part again ;)
Gluten Free...negative blood results...absolutely positive diet results.
Dairy Free...absolutely positive diet results.
Egg Free...there goes another one...absolutely positive diet results.
Allergic to Codeine.

"Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which ones may have gluten in them:)"

#12 LKelly8

LKelly8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 06:53 AM

^_^ This is my favorite simple dressing. I hope it follows your diet.

1/2 c oil
1/3 c honey
1/4 lime or lemon juice (Lime blends much better with the honey flavor, I think)
1 tbsp mustard, dijon or otherwise.

#13 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:10 AM

Just a note about CaliFineFoods. I ordered from them right before I realized I was corn intolerant. I wrote her asking about the fructose listed in the ingredients.

She was extremely helpful and I have corresponded with her multiple times. However, fructose IS corn derived. In Canada, her products are listed as corn free, in America, they are not. I chose not to try them because I am extremely sensitive to corn now. It is corn syrup turned to corn starch, then the fructose is extracted.

the Salt listed in her packages is corn free though. It is sea salt which is corn free. Iodized salt (all table salt) have corn derivatives in them.

Autumn-I'm sorry to hear you are having such a bad time. Hugs. I have multiple intolerances and am struggling as well. Let me know what I can do. I would highly recommend the corn forum on delphi...it is similar to this board here and they are EXTREMELY knowledgable. Also, cornallergens.com is a good starting point.

LKelly: I'm not sure if that would work for corn avoiding people. Mustards have vinegars, many of which are not safe for corn-free people. There is a brand on the allergygrocer.com that is supposed to be corn free. Also, honey (because of cross-pollination and other theories) can have traces of corn in them.

#14 Simply_V

Simply_V

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:09 PM

LKelly: I'm not sure if that would work for corn avoiding people. Mustards have vinegars, many of which are not safe for corn-free people. There is a brand on the allergygrocer.com that is supposed to be corn free. Also, honey (because of cross-pollination and other theories) can have traces of corn in them.

Orphee Mustard at allergygrocer.com is corn-free and probably gluten-free as well since its made with apple cider vinegar.

Imported honey's are often corn-free, especially honey's which state where they are made. Such as Orange Blossom honey, Lemon honey, etc. Read labels, most imported honeys will tell you where they are made and what is around for pollen. I've had good luck with honey from Spain and France. I have not hand any luck with any american made honey.
V
Severe airborne allergies since childhood. Was on constant antihisamines with behavior issues. Digestion issues started noticably around 1985.
1992 IBS diagnosis.
2004 Corn allergy - through diet discovery.
2005 RAST negative to all food allergies. High cholesterol diagnosed as PCOS.
2006 Immunolabs ELISA and IgE assay:
IgE to Corn, Milk, Eggs, & White Bean.
IgG to peppers, blk/wt pepper, beans, almonds, yeasts.
Neg. to Celiac, gluten, etc. High IgA level.
2008 No longer considered as having PCOS, or associated risks.

Currently avoiding corn, eggs, cow & goat milk, all beans (cept some soy derivatives & peanut oil), cruciferous veggies, onions/garlic, carrots/celery, anything bilberry/cranberry/blueberry, peppers, and anything remotely corn derived, corntaminated.

Currently off all allergy medications for airborne allergies and breathing fine.

#15 Simply_V

Simply_V

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:21 PM

I always thought paleo diet was a choice :angry:

I know I have to just get over this and suck it up but it stinks!

Now Im having problems with dairy and corn for sure and now rice or all grains possibly, tonight after a little testing. *Sorry if tmi* but Im bleeding and that cant be good! My sciatica with the big *D* has come back fully. My legs and back are killing me tonight and havent hurt since march. It was only gluten that did that before but apparently I cant tolerate much at all right now.

I'm so depressed right now, I hate the thought of plain meat, veggies and fruit for the rest of my life. I had a super crappy day today everything went wrong. I even started a kitchen fire! I forgot my pyrex plastic lid was in the oven and turned up the temperature. I smell something and look in the kitchen and the lid is on fire in the stove. Plastic melted everywhere. I let it cool and picked it out and tonight I need to spray oven cleaner in there so I can use it again. I have had a brain fog all day and cant think clearly and Im sure its do to all the stupid testing I have done.

Im crying right now and sitting on a pillow, I dont have hemorroids but its so sore I cant sit normally. Thankfully my daughter is gluten free so when she is older she doesnt have to deal with this.

Autumn have you gotten your results from Enterolab? Do you for certain (lab results) have problems with gluten?

I'm asking because many corn-allergic (testing often misses this) people originally think they have gluten problems since corn is often in many gluten products. When they cut out gluten, they also cut out a lot of corn. These problems with corn & rice could be the original problem. A lot of corn allergy/intolerance symptoms are the same as those of gluten intolerance.

Corn is everywhere, and extremely difficult to avoid. As Laura advised. Check out the Delphi forums site: Avoiding Corn. http://forums.delphi...om/AvoidingCorn
also no-corn.blogspot.com has good information and links to other reliable corn-free sources.

I've also been where you are.. crying and hurting and thinking of how futile this is. There is relief. Its just finding the source of the problem that is the most difficult.

Please message me if you want more information or to talk.
V
Severe airborne allergies since childhood. Was on constant antihisamines with behavior issues. Digestion issues started noticably around 1985.
1992 IBS diagnosis.
2004 Corn allergy - through diet discovery.
2005 RAST negative to all food allergies. High cholesterol diagnosed as PCOS.
2006 Immunolabs ELISA and IgE assay:
IgE to Corn, Milk, Eggs, & White Bean.
IgG to peppers, blk/wt pepper, beans, almonds, yeasts.
Neg. to Celiac, gluten, etc. High IgA level.
2008 No longer considered as having PCOS, or associated risks.

Currently avoiding corn, eggs, cow & goat milk, all beans (cept some soy derivatives & peanut oil), cruciferous veggies, onions/garlic, carrots/celery, anything bilberry/cranberry/blueberry, peppers, and anything remotely corn derived, corntaminated.

Currently off all allergy medications for airborne allergies and breathing fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: