This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Unusual Symptoms

Guest Kathy Ann

Rusla Enthusiast

First, have your B-12 checked if it hasn't been. Now on the maybe allergic to do. If it was someone else allergic to them I would say get rid of the person and keep the animal. However, as it may be you then you either have to get rid of yourself or have shots. However, have allergy tests first.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mayflowers Contributor
I'm sorry, Mayflowers. What are you talking about? I don't see anything on here about consistency of bowel movements. We are just discussing nervous system symptoms related to our celiac. Is there something wrong with that? I apologize if we're doing anything wrong. I see other threads where symptoms are freely discussed. Is there something wrong with discussing ours?

Kathy Ann, Read your first post to start the thread. You were describing your BM consistency.

Well mouse, it's your opinion and then there's my opinion. I guess I have a more sensitive disgust-o-meter than some of the other posters here. And I still think KIDS don't need to read graphic symptoms.

Well, I've made my point. I guess I'll have to decide if I want to keep reading the posts or not.

Have a nice gluten free day all. :)

daffadilly Apprentice

I think any kids reading any of these medical support threads are aware that poop has different consistencies :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I do not think that there is any way to protect children from the fact that people have poop and it is not always perfect B)

bluejeangirl Contributor
Kathy Ann, Read your first post to start the thread. You were describing your BM consistency.

Well mouse, it's your opinion and then there's my opinion. I guess I have a more sensitive disgust-o-meter than some of the other posters here. And I still think KIDS don't need to read graphic symptoms.

Well, I've made my point. I guess YoI'll have to decide if I want to keep reading the posts or not.

Have a nice gluten free day all. :)

Mayflower, This is a celiac board where we talk about BM's quite often. Your the first person I've read thats been offended. I think Kathy Ann did a very good job describing her problems so we can understand her fully.

Anyway Kathy Ann, You also describe me! I got my first full blown panic attack in the 7th grade in health class . I ran out of the room and didn't know what was going on. Neither did anyone else. They didn't even have a name for it yet. This was back in the 70's. I was embarrassed and hid it most of my life. Little by little I started avoiding places I'd get panic attacks. Like malls and church. That was sad because I loved church. I eventually learned to overcome them, although its constant and now I'm just worn out.

I'm getting the air in my stomach thing for the past week. That comes and goes. I know what your feeling.

I notice it starts to get better if I start taking an acid reducer like prilosec for awhile. I make sure I'm sitting straight when I'm eating, even alittle forward so I don't swallow any air. Try not to drink to much water when taking vit. or glup them down. Soups and cereals are hard because I tend to swallow air with those.

Don't wait to long between meals or you might eat to fast. Finally try to focus on accepting the food as being good for you and norishing to your body. I continue to thank God thru out my meal and try to remain calm.

I might have more to say later if I think of anything else but I have to finish supper. Take care. I so feel for yu. :)

Blessings,

gail

Mayflowers Contributor

Yeah, I guess it must just be me........I don't publicly discuss my bodily excretion functions on the internet soooo, I'll just stay out of the diagnosis, symptom forums.

Guest Kathy Ann

I can hardly believe this.

I've never been on a message board before in my life. I have been eagerly reading every day on this board trying to participate as much as I can and become a part of this new community. I'm desperately trying to get valuable information since I'm extremely sick and the doctors haven't been able to help me. I don't personally know any other celiacs to talk to, so I am forced to get my information and "celiac fellowship" online.

Everyone discusses just about every detail of every symptom and even things aside from celiac all the time on here. There have been enormous threads of chit chat and discussing everything under the sun. I have read some pretty graphic stuff. People have even discussed their personal lives as they would with a lifelong friend. But I wasn't offended by any of that since I assumed we were here to help each other. And a lot of celiacs need encouragement, friendship and help by the time they reach this board. Me included.

Celiac is a pretty graphic disease, is it not? I've heard people describe diarrhea over and over again. Jokes are made about it and it is referred to on nearly every post. I honestly thought it was OK for me to talk about it briefly as well. It is the only time I did. I obviously misunderstood.

I sincerely apologize if I offended anyone. I was merely trying to explain my symptoms. I used the word "grainy" because I wondered if it meant internal bleeding or something. Never in my wildest dreams would I ever purposely post anything inappropriate. You even referred to my thread possibly offending children. That seriously offends ME.

I've learned a good lesson. I don't belong here and I had no business thinking I did.

Over and out.

Mayflowers Contributor

Relax Kathy Ann.There's no need for you to freak or leave. I am the one with the issue.

I'm not that bad of a celiac and I never had extremely bad issues except IBS, so I get grossed out reading about people's BM's. Yours was pretty light compared to some other posters who almost made me sick reading it.

IF you read my last posts I said I wouldn't read these diagnosis or symptoms forums or post anymore, as it is my problem. Good lord.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Kathy Ann

It's OK, Mayflowers. Thank you for your kind post. I apologize for taking offense at your criticisms. I went in and edited out the offending parts so hopefully all is well. :)

I'm having some difficult days right now and just need to lay low for awhile.

PEACE.

"And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." Phil. 4:7-8

daffadilly Apprentice

Kathy Ann, I see that Mayflower has a DQ1 gene, us DQ1'ers are a little emotional and trigger happy, but basically we have a good heart, I think that DQ1 comes from the Irish... LOL

jerseyangel Proficient

Kathy Ann,

I just want to step in here and say that you did absolutely nothing wrong, unusual (for this board) or against any rule. Because of the very nature of our illness, we tend to discuss our bodily functions. Many of us, like yourself, felt relieved to find this board so that we could talk about these things with others who would understand.

Please don't leave, stay and keep contributing to the board! We are all in this together, and we're all here to help each other :)

Mayflowers Contributor
Kathy Ann, I see that Mayflower has a DQ1 gene, us DQ1'ers are a little emotional and trigger happy, but basically we have a good heart, I think that DQ1 comes from the Irish... LOL

Where did you read that about the DQ1 gene dafadilly.....? Uh, yeah, I am Irish.. (and half hot head Italian)

Glad you're not upset Kathy Ann...It's been a tough week for me too :(

kristenroman Rookie
Kathy Ann!!

I too have that pressure on my sternum!!! If I accidently eat gluten, I feel like a can't breathe, like some one is sitting on my chest, and I feel extreme panic. I then keep trying to take a full breath and feel like I can't. I feel whoozy, and if I haven't eaten in a while I get really dizzy.

I also get some joint pain, and pretty nasty bloating, and stabbing pains under my ribs.

I also have dh.

But I can relate to the panic.

I do take zoloft now, and that has been my life saver.

I love it.

daffadilly Apprentice

My Irish/ English family all have DQ1 from both sides, DQ1 is well known to cause neurological symptoms, such as depression, migraines, ADHD, ADD, Dyslexia, bad moods, unexplained anger, paranoia, etc etc. all of which either goes away or is helped with a Gluten Free diet.

Don't forget that we all have the same genes for celaic and/or gluten intolerance and way back in the day we all came from the same place to start off with... Look at any of the photos that are posted and you will see that they all look like someone that could be in your family...

It is my personal opinon from observing my family and from reading the boards for almost three years now that anyone that has DQ1 and eats gluten is depressed on some level, children included.

Have you read the book "dangerous grains"? Page 148 he talks about depression, he talks a lot about gluten sensitivity but does not mention specifically the DQ1 gene, but we all know that the DQ1 & one other one is the prevalent gluten sensitivity gene. I highly recommend this book "dangerous grains" by James Braly, M.D. and Ron Hoggan, M.A.

Mayflowers Contributor

Wow. Thanks for the Info. I'm getting the book. I copied your post and sent it to my sister who is in denial. That's all I can do. She won't stop eating gluten and she is on antidepressants for depression and panic attacks!!! AMAZING!

Thanks again!!! :)

bluejeangirl Contributor

I just wanted to mention what I'm reading from the book Optimal Digestive Health (a complete guide) by a list of Doctors.

Here's what I read the otherday but sort of condensed so I don't know if it'll make sense but you might want to order the book. You won't be dissappointed.

Messages from the nervous system communicate with cells all over our body including the gastrointestinal tract. The cell wall in the gut lining has thousands of receptor cells that communicate with a variety of signaling molecules and once the molecule binds to the receptor, the cell is instructed to carry out a specific function.

This is how all the organs of digestion talk to one another: the stomach, all the parts of the small intestine, the ileum, the pancreas, gallbladder and large intestine. In order for food to make it through the GI tract and get totally processed and all the nutrients extracted, all the toxins eliminated, all the enzymes and digestive juices secreted at the right time and place.

If that process doesn't ocur, food wont't be thoroughly digested and toxins won't be eliminated. It means there's a much greater likelihood of leaky gut and dysbiosis.

Toxins can damage the stucture of receptors and the ability of cells to produce and release signaling peptides. This damage can block communication to such a degree that the degestive tact becomes non functional. So if coordinated communication doesn't take place it could mean that everything goes through the G.I. tract to quickly that diarrhea occurs eventually cusing the malnutrition or it could mean that things move too slowly and there is stasis causing excessive firmentation and putrifaction, encouraging the overgrowth of yeast and bad bacteria. When constipation occurs toxins may actually be reaobsored back into the body.

The chapter goes on the say how toxins can be from enviromental causes to and some of the unhealthy chemical we eat. They also take about Celiac but I didn't get to it yet. But it was interesting how the mind affects the gut and in return the gut will effect the mind.

Just another thing about the breathing. People under stress tend to be shallow breathers. Take some time during the day to note how your breathing and allow for yourself to take deep breaths and let your breath go down into your belly.

I also read taking the cal/mag. was very important. Buy calcuim lactate because its an extremely soluble calcuim salt making it highly bioavailiable. Calcium carbonate goes through approximately twelve chemical reations to become calcium bi carbonate and calcium lactate changes to calcium bicarbonate in one chemical step.

If I were you I'd try to cut out carbs and just have the protein and veggies (non starchy) and take a good probiotic containing lots of healthy bacteria to get the gut healthy again. At least for a short time.

Hope your feeling well soon!

Gail

daffadilly Apprentice

Mayflower, send her the book, it is about $10.00 at amazon .com. DQ1 is also the gene that goes along with addictions whether to food, cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, etc. On the questionnaire from Enterolab they ask you if you or anyone in your family is alcoholic.

Wheat and dairy is addictive. some people cannot or will not give up wheat. I have a sister that will not, she has seizures, rheumatoid arthritis, bad teeth, depression, IBS, etc...

My other sister is reading the book "dangerous grains" has a positive blood test and is now getting the enterolab test. She has had her gall bladder removed, sinuitis surgery (a couple times), allergies, tubes in both ears, IBS... We have different fathers so I am not sure what her genes will be. she is also already gluten-free.

Your sister will see a HUGE improvement if she will go gluten-free. The neurological symptoms is worse than the intestinal, in my opinion and all that is covered in "Dangerous grains". It also says that people like your sister that do not have the severe intestinal symptoms or no symptoms are also the people that get cancer as the first warning sign. Our mother died of colon cancer...

One thing that is happening is that each generation is getting complications at a younger age and they are worse then the succeeding generations and each new generation is not living as long as the next generation if they do not quit eating wheat. (cannot remember where I read that, sorry). One of the reasons is the continuing decline of the nutrition in the average diet and that wheat today has about 50% more gluten in it than it did 50 years ago. Plus people today eat more wheat than they did 50 years ago...

I hope your sister comes around...

• 7 months later...
countrygirl Newbie
Kathy Ann, I have had that tightness in my chest & throat for the past two weeks, from being exposed to dry wall dust at my office for about 5 minutes, then I went to another floor for the day & I got a headache etc. Then a week later I am back in my office and some of the walls are painted but not all & within ONE HOUR, I was dizzy, pounding headache in the front of the head, and the chest tightening and the throat thing so that I felt like I could not talk, it was all I could do not to faint at my desk... I went home and was sick all the rest of the day. They are still doing construction on my floor but it is about to end & they finally changed the air conditioning filter for my floor (after I was begging them). The construction crew puts an extra filter on top of the regular one but they leave it on for two weeks while the construction is going on & we just keep breathing the stuff that flows thru the filter, also there were fumes in the hallway each day from the glues and whatever else stuff they were using... (I really do not think this is allowed in a multi story office bldg!!)

All your problems could not only be associated with gluten but also allergies to dust, pollens, molds, animals, carpet, cigarette smoke, ... If I were you I would also get some food allergy testing done, it could be some simple little something that you cannot figure out.

I would start looking for airborne problems, do you live in a house, or apartment? If apartment I would suspect bug spray by the managment and people in the adjacent apartment smoking (I am severely allergic to some of that smoke & it does get thru somehow...)

In my house I do not use any candles, or air freshner, and I have no pets & no carpet B)

Hi,

Even though this is an old topic, i just had to respond about the drywall dust. Are you all aware that drywall dust contains wheat gluten?? No wonder we all get sick around it. I used to go around our house in the evening sweeping up some of the dust. Within a week I had pain in my knees and I couldn't walk. My MD had no idea and just ordered me some Ultracet. Luckily I came to this board and someone explained to me about the drywall dust. My name back then was judy05. To this day I have residual pain in my left knee which will probably never get better. Hope this helps someone else!!!

sneezydiva Apprentice
Obviously I'm not a doctor, but I have had wonderful results with magnesium supplementation. Magnesium helps smooth muscle contractions (heart and intestines) as well as calming anxiety. Also magnesium (not calcium) strengthens bones along with Vitamin D. I took Mg to resolve longterm constipation. Most celiacs are very magnesium deficient because damaged villi don't absorb magnesium. Look for a variety that contains mostly aspartate, taurate or citrate. Magnesium oxide is the least absorbable and causes the worst side effects (bloating, gas and diarrhea). Here are links to articles about magnesium:

Open Original Shared Link

Also here are 2 books about Mg available through amazon .com:

The Magnesium Factor by Mildred Seelig (which I found at my local library); and

The Miracle of Magnesium by Carolyn Dean (which I have not yet read).

BURDEE

You can als get magnesium with Epsom salt baths. A study in England showed some of the magnesium is absorbed systemically by your skin. I take 1-2 baths a week. It helps calm me down, and helps my allergies (which research shows either is caused by magnesium defiecency or the allergic response depletes mgnesium, they aren't quite sure yet)

Don't overdo the baths though, because too much magnesium without getting other minerals can upset what little mineral/electrolyte b balance you have.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Doll
I'm sure my celiac diagnosis is the answer to my 8 year long prayer for what's wrong with me.

8 years ago I had a terrifying experience with a grand mal panic attack. It was my first. I have never recovered from it. Since that time, my body has remained in nearly constant agitation and stress, sort of like a permanent panic. I sort of feel all of the time like I have been punched in the stomach.

Just in the last year I have started losing feeling in my toes at times and acquired a host of other more typical celiac symptoms, like dizziness. But the reason for this post is my main symptom.

I get a heavy pushing out pressure in my sternum, chest and throat area. My heart flops a few times and I get dizzy. I can breathe OK, but the pressure is very uncomfortable and I yawn and shiver alot. I have been checked thoroughly during these episodes for heart issues many times and always gotten a clean bill of health. I've had ultrasounds and EKG's. So everyone is pretty convinced that nothing is physiologically wrong with my lungs or heart. Doctors chalked it off as emotion and I accepted that for years.

But now I've noticed that it is usually accompanied by a bloating and pressure all the way down in my abdomen/stomach at the same time. Now that I am looking at it from the celiac point of view, it makes more sense.

It always seemed to me instinctively that something was physically very wrong. Since I was a little girl, my nervous system has always seemed on edge. I feel like somebody has their foot on the brake and accelerator at the same time.

I just wanted to see if anyone else happened to have goofy symptoms like mine when they are glutened.

These were the exact same symptoms I'd have prior to my Dx (very early on, before I even had GI symptoms), except my heart would *suddenly* start racing and pound in my chest. I had both tachycardia and palpitations, which was terrifying. My blood sugar would also drop. I was given an Rx for Xanax. The wonder drug that solves everything, right? :P I refused to take it unless I was so uncomfortable that I could not breathe. The "panic attacks", ireegular heartbeat, dizziness, low blood pressure, trouble breathing, etc. all resolved once gluten-free. Basically, your body is in a state of reaction to a foreign protein.

Now, I still get this when glutened, but it is usually minor-moderate instead of severe. Probably because I have only ever been CC'd since Dx. I have never flat out cheated. And I dont ever plan to! :o

Many of us here also have symptoms similar to yours when exposed to gluten.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
It is my personal opinon from observing my family and from reading the boards for almost three years now that anyone that has DQ1 and eats gluten is depressed on some level, children included.

Hmmm....I have DQ1 and I never had depression. :huh:

I ate gluten for 31 years and had no depression. I ended up gluten intolerant caused by other conditions and then I became depressed....but the depression didnt appear to be linked to gluten in my case. I still get depressed occassionaly (I'm still sick) but I've been gluten-free for 2 years now.

Archived