Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

How To Pick A Fresh / Good Coconut?

20 posts in this topic

Okay I want to try some REAL coconut.. right form the fruit... so how do i pick a good fresh one????

Ads by Google:

I must admit, I had a good chuckle when I read the title to this thread after your coconut ordeal! LOL I have no idea. I'd fly to someplace warm and have the guy at the fancy hotel fix it for me. :D I can dream, right?

If I remember right, I *think* that if you shake it, a good one will sound like it has a lot of liquid sloshing around inside and be heavy for it's size.. I think :unsure:

:lol:

Vincent, I had to laugh when I saw this thread!

Anyways, here's a sure fire way to NEVER get a yellow, household-cleaner tasting coconut ever again. ;)

I used to work in the produce dept. for several years. Lots of times customers buying cocnuts wanted me to open them and also save the milk for them. I'd go in the back....put the coconut in a couple plastic bags and then whack the heck out of it with my hammer. :D

The milk was saved in the plastic bag, the customer didnt have to deal with breaking open the cocnut at home (or finding it rotten inside), I got to take out my frusterations of the day on the coconut and everybody went home happy. :D

Rachel. :lol::lol::lol:

I need to do some of those sometimes. :blink:

Green coconuts have more milk and riper brown coconuts have more meat.

:mellow: <--- yellow coconut or yellow bowling ball?

If I remember right, I *think* that if you shake it, a good one will sound like it has a lot of liquid sloshing around inside and be heavy for it's size.. I think :unsure:

So right, have just read, while reading a foody book to "Choose a coconut with plenty of liquid sloshing around inside"

Catherine

okay, lets ty it this way...

Im standing inthe store and I have one of them brown hairy coconuts in my hand, and I want to know if its good or bad? Whats the magic tirck? :)

Last one (wel only one) I tried the meat was yellowish, and putting a hole in it was extremely easy , did not need a hammer, just pushed it in. :( Tasted like a house hold cleaner! It was samll, but aht 1.5 cups of liquid in it.

okay, lets ty it this way...

Im standing inthe store and I have one of them brown hairy coconuts in my hand, and I want to know if its good or bad? Whats the magic tirck? :)

Last one (wel only one) I tried the meat was yellowish, and putting a hole in it was extremely easy , did not need a hammer, just pushed it in. :( Tasted like a house hold cleaner! It was samll, but aht 1.5 cups of liquid in it.

While you're standing in the store, hold the coconut up to your ear and shake. Make sure you hear the liquid inside. See if it feels heavy for it's size and check the eyes to be sure they're hard. You should have to work to make a hole.

My father taught me to drill one hole through each eye and let the coconut water drain completely into a container before cracking it open.

My father taught me to drill one hole through each eye and let the coconut water drain completely into a container before cracking it open.

We always used the hammer and nail method when I was a kid.

So baislcy what everone is saying is shake it and hope for the best? :lol:

I like young coconuts much better than the brown hairy ones! :)

I like young coconuts much better than the brown hairy ones! :)

What do they look like?

What do they look like?

Yeah they're lighter and not all hairy. You can eat the fruit...it's kind of ice creamy and yummy. It's a great energy boost after a work out as well.

Ooh--this thread reminds me that I haven't had fresh coconut for *so* long.

As I recall, when choosing one, you're also supposed to look at the "eyes" . . . I'm guessing that any signs of softness/rottenness will show up there first.

The liquid evaporates through the porous membrane of the eyes . . . that's why older coconuts generally have less liquid.

I think I heated my coconut in the oven then allowed it to cool until it was warm and then poke holes in the eyes to drain the liquid. (it isn't actually coconut "milk"--coconut milk is made by processing the coconut meat and pressing it somehow . . . I don't recall how.) Then you can wrap the coconut in a towel and take a hammer to it. I've only actually done this once! It took awhile to separate the meat from the shell . . .

While you're standing in the store, hold the coconut up to your ear and shake. Make sure you hear the liquid inside. See if it feels heavy for it's size and check the eyes to be sure they're hard. You should have to work to make a hole.

But how do you know which coconut has sweeter water in it?????

I bought one coconut and when I opened it, it was rotten. So then I read to check for a water sound and to check for heaviness. I did both, but if you don't know how heavy it's supposed to be, they all feel heavy. When I opened the second one, it wasn't rotten, but had mold on the brown skin, and it smelled like some kind of chemical.

I wish I could buy one at Whole Foods. They would probably be a lot better.