47 replies to this topic

#1 rutland

rutland

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:33 PM

This never happened to me before, I just cant seem to tolerate red wine anymore. I used to be able to have several glasses of wine and have a good time. Now when I drink it I get nauseus, trouble sleeping, and anxious. I just came back from being down the shore and I tried to have a glass of wine again and it just sat in my stomach and then I had to throw it up.

Could it be that when you go gluten-free your body changes? Do you think its just temporary? I think that Im really sensitive right now, I can tell my body is going through a healing so maybe that is the reason I cant drink.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Im just going to give up drinking entirely. Its not worth it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:40 PM

I had to give up drinking entirely. It all made me sick. I have adrenal fatigue, and it's a symptom of it. I don't know whether it has anything to do with celiac or not.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#3 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 01:28 PM

I had a difficult time drinking alcohol after going gluten-free. After about six months of gluten-free I was able to drink again. You could also have an issue with sulfites? You might want to try an orgainc wine and see if you have the same reaction. Organic wines have very little or no sulfites and none added. Hope you feel better.

Hez

#4 skoki_mom

skoki_mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 05:15 PM

Red wine is heavy on sulphites. A lot of people are very sensitive to them, it might be the problem.
LORI

Dx celiac disease Aug 25/05, ate KFC that night and gluten-free ever since

#5 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:13 PM

My guess is sulfites. Red wine is loaded with sulfites and can cause the symptoms you described. If you ever eat dried fruit (esp. dried apricot) and feel similar symptoms its definately the sulfites.
Rachel

#6 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:49 PM

some wines have casein, if you are casein intolerant.

that, combined with sulphites, made my wine drinking days kaput!
Gluten-free, Vegan

#7 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:50 AM

My guess is sulfites. Red wine is loaded with sulfites and can cause the symptoms you described. If you ever eat dried fruit (esp. dried apricot) and feel similar symptoms its definately the sulfites.

I never realized that dried fruit is high in sulfities. I've been feeling kindof yucky after eating craisins recently, but different symptoms than glutening. This is more of a tightening/sore throat. And raisins often give me problems, too. Haven't noticed any problems with wine, though. Is red wine high in sulfities because it's essentially concentrated grapes? This could also be why I feel better when I eat meat versus eating a lot of veggies. //off to do some sulfite research :)

From wikipedia: "Some people are allergic to sulfites, and may have difficulty breathing within minutes of eating a food containing sulfites." Hmmmm.. may explain the tightening of the throat.

Does white wine contain sulfites? And is there a good explaination for why craisins would make me feel this way but not red wine?
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

#8 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:28 PM

Just read that people who are sensitive to sulfites lack the enzyme needed to break it down. The body natually produces some sulfites, but I guess adding more through food is too much for the body to handle. Is it possible to do a blood test for the sulfite-breaking-down enzyme? If not, is there another way to test for sulfite sensitivity?

#9 Nooner

Nooner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:41 PM

Stef74, do you have any problems with yeast? A friend of mine who is yeast intolerant can't drink any wine.

Or it could be any number of things in the wine. I treated my DH to a winemaking at a local wine shop for our anniversary, and found that lots of things are added to wine during the fermentation. Yeast, sulfites, different flavorings. The wine we made was a South African Pinotage (red) and had grape puree, bentonite clay, and wood added for flavor (sounds gross, but it's a good wine!), but it varies with the variety of wine. The sulfites are added near the end of the fermentation, as a preservative.

We also found out that the more affordable, mass-produced wines are double fermented, and have double sulfites added. The person who owned the shop said that he's sensitive to sulfites and can't drink commercial red wine, but can drink reds that he makes in his shop, because it's only fermented once and has less sulfite content.

I haven't made a white yet, so I don't know what all goes into it, but I was under the impression that sulfites aren't used. I could be wrong.

Hopefully it's just temporary thing for you while you are healing. I'm staying away from alcohol for a while, just in case. Luckily the wine we're making has to age for another 6 months to fully develop its flavor.

~Li
~Li

Celiac, dx Sep 2006

#10 skoki_mom

skoki_mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:14 AM

Stef74, do you have any problems with yeast? A friend of mine who is yeast intolerant can't drink any wine.

Or it could be any number of things in the wine. I treated my DH to a winemaking at a local wine shop for our anniversary, and found that lots of things are added to wine during the fermentation. Yeast, sulfites, different flavorings. The wine we made was a South African Pinotage (red) and had grape puree, bentonite clay, and wood added for flavor (sounds gross, but it's a good wine!), but it varies with the variety of wine. The sulfites are added near the end of the fermentation, as a preservative.

We also found out that the more affordable, mass-produced wines are double fermented, and have double sulfites added. The person who owned the shop said that he's sensitive to sulfites and can't drink commercial red wine, but can drink reds that he makes in his shop, because it's only fermented once and has less sulfite content.

I haven't made a white yet, so I don't know what all goes into it, but I was under the impression that sulfites aren't used. I could be wrong.

Hopefully it's just temporary thing for you while you are healing. I'm staying away from alcohol for a while, just in case. Luckily the wine we're making has to age for another 6 months to fully develop its flavor.

~Li

Just wanted to say that if you have a sulphite allergy, you need to stay away from all wines, because the grapes are sprayed with sulphites before they are made into wine. My sister has anaphylactic reactions to sulphites and she avoids ALL products made from grapes, including grape juice and rasins, for this reason. You may be able to find organic grapes that have not been treated, but apparently grapes spoil rapidly once they are harvested, so the use of sulphites is pretty standard in the grape-growing industry.
LORI

Dx celiac disease Aug 25/05, ate KFC that night and gluten-free ever since

#11 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:22 AM

Red wine makes my feet swell up, but I don't have a problem with sulfites. I don't drink white wine, so I don't know if it would give me the same reaction.
Nothing

#12 rutland

rutland

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:13 AM

~Li

Actually I do get reactions to yeast. I noticed this from my gluten-free bread that had yeast, I get a reaction. But my yeast free bread I do not. Also I get reactions from dried fruit esp. raisons so I must be reacting from the sulfites and the yeast. One night I went out and had a glass of champain and I felt awful. My throat felt like it swelled up and I had trouble breathing. Im feeling better now that I havent had any alcohol, and yeast. But it really is an adjustment not to have a drink or two when I go out. I didnt realize what a habit it became in my life, feeling like I needed it to loosen up. I need to change my mind set. :lol:

I never realized that dried fruit is high in sulfities. I've been feeling kindof yucky after eating craisins recently, but different symptoms than glutening. This is more of a tightening/sore throat. And raisins often give me problems, too. Haven't noticed any problems with wine, though. Is red wine high in sulfities because it's essentially concentrated grapes? This could also be why I feel better when I eat meat versus eating a lot of veggies. //off to do some sulfite research :)

From wikipedia: "Some people are allergic to sulfites, and may have difficulty breathing within minutes of eating a food containing sulfites." Hmmmm.. may explain the tightening of the throat.

Does white wine contain sulfites? And is there a good explaination for why craisins would make me feel this way but not red wine?

I get the same reaction. It feels like my throat gets tight and I have difficulty breathing. Is that called an anaphalactic reaction? Also do you ever feel like it hurts to talk or that talking makes you tired?

#13 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:38 PM

Actually I do get reactions to yeast. I noticed this from my gluten-free bread that had yeast, I get a reaction. But my yeast free bread I do not. Also I get reactions from dried fruit esp. raisons so I must be reacting from the sulfites and the yeast. One night I went out and had a glass of champain and I felt awful. My throat felt like it swelled up and I had trouble breathing. Im feeling better now that I havent had any alcohol, and yeast. But it really is an adjustment not to have a drink or two when I go out. I didnt realize what a habit it became in my life, feeling like I needed it to loosen up. I need to change my mind set. :lol:
I get the same reaction. It feels like my throat gets tight and I have difficulty breathing. Is that called an anaphalactic reaction? Also do you ever feel like it hurts to talk or that talking makes you tired?

If its sulfites also stay away from frozen french fries. They're sprayed with sulfites to keep them from turning brown.

Gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#14 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:32 PM

My wife doesn't even have celiac and red wine started doing weird things. Sometimes she'd be fine and other times one or two glasses would make her sick as a dog.

richard

#15 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:21 PM

I believe this is an anaphalactic reaction. I don't know much about this, but my reaction is very mild. Not sure if there's such a thing as a mild anaphalatic reaction or if it will worsen in time. I'll have to ask my doctor about this when I go on Thursday (oh, boy, she's going to love me, I have a huge list of questions!) I don't have trouble talking, just a tightness in the throat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: