16 replies to this topic

#16 catfish

catfish

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 06:44 AM

On the topic of fibers (psyllium and Citrucel) it is important to note that these two fibers work very differently! Citrucel is a soluble fiber while psyllium (Metamucil) is an insoluble fiber. The soluble fiber (Citrucel) will help sooth your guts and give them bulk, so it will gently help with whatever ails you (D or C) without causing bloating or gas. Insoluble fiber (Metamucil, wheat bran, etc) is an intestinal stimulant, so it will help clean your guts out in a hurry but it also can cause bloating and gas since it can ferment in your intestines. The two fibers have very different effects on your body and should be taken accordingly.

Due to its soothing qualities I recommend using Citrucel for daily intestinal therapy and Metamucil for those times when you need something strong to purge your system.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 MichelleC

MichelleC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 05:09 PM

My doc recommends Benefiber. Worked well for me. Then my dietician had me and ground flax seed, and I phased out he Benefiber. All of that rice and white flour (potato, tapioca) and be binding for sure.

Good luck.

Michelle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: