36 replies to this topic

#1 Shalia

Shalia

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:36 PM

OK, ever since going gluten-free, I've noticed my nose getting stuffy and my throat getting tight sometimes when I ate. I didn't know what was doing it, but it'd do it on even little things like Hershey's chocolate bars.

So tonight I did a test. I drank some egg nog (that was soy free) and about 2 hours later ate a KinniToo cookie. NOTHING happened when I drank the egg nog, but w/in about 5 minutes of eating the soy filled cookie my nose was stuffing up. WAAAAAAAAAH!

I thought gluten was in everything but SOY... that's nearly as pervasive as corn. I could cry. :(

Shalia - who is going to have her last chocolate bar and will start her soy free life tomorrow. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:41 PM

That was my reaction when I had to stop eating soy :( :(. I had the same symptoms as you too. There are soy-free chocolate bars. If I remember correctly, I think Green and Blacks is okay. But can you have dairy? If so you still have tons and tons of options.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#3 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:43 PM

Shalia,
I sympathize with you. I'm so sorry. Soy is awful for some of us!

Check out enjoy life foods chocolate chips. They are dairy, gluten, soy free, etc. They are delicious!!!!!! I can't tolerate them anymore because of other food intolerances but they are wonderful. I used to eat them like candy, and bake with it, and melt and put on fruit...etc.

Hope that helps. And welcome to the soy free world!

#4 Shalia

Shalia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:02 PM

That was my reaction when I had to stop eating soy :( :(. I had the same symptoms as you too. There are soy-free chocolate bars. If I remember correctly, I think Green and Blacks is okay. But can you have dairy? If so you still have tons and tons of options.

*so far* dairy is still OK. The egg nog caused no problems at all. And that was both egg and milk.

The cookies, however... :(

Thanks for the empathy, I appreciate it! I've never even seen Green & Blacks. Where do I find THAT?

#5 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:04 PM

whole foods has a soy free chocolate bar you could look for that
Molly

#6 Shalia

Shalia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:08 PM

Shalia,
I sympathize with you. I'm so sorry. Soy is awful for some of us!

Check out enjoy life foods chocolate chips. They are dairy, gluten, soy free, etc. They are delicious!!!!!! I can't tolerate them anymore because of other food intolerances but they are wonderful. I used to eat them like candy, and bake with it, and melt and put on fruit...etc.

Hope that helps. And welcome to the soy free world!

I've heard good things about Enjoy Life. I'll give them a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for welcoming me to the world. I'm just going to pout right now, though. :angry: (pretend that's a pout) I'll get over it soon enough. I did w/ gluten.

whole foods has a soy free chocolate bar you could look for that

Well, there's no whole foods in Utah, but there is a Wild Oats. Maybe they'll have something. Any idea what the chocolate bar is called?

#7 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:29 PM

I am soy intolerant and LOVE Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips. I had to switch to those to avoid the soy lecithin.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#8 Shalia

Shalia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:36 PM

I am soy intolerant and LOVE Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips. I had to switch to those to avoid the soy lecithin.

That's three votes for them, zero against. I guess I'll give them a try! :)

It sure can't hurt.

I'd rather that than continue w/ my throat feeling closed up and feelign hard to breathe like I am now.

Shalia

#9 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:44 PM

I'd rather that than continue w/ my throat feeling closed up and feelign hard to breathe like I am now.

Shalia

That sounds scary. I have an intolerance and don't have those reactions. I assume it would have caused damage to my intestines had I stayed on it. Of course, I haven't tried having it again, no interest.

Andrea

Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#10 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:49 PM

Shalia - I've been off soy for 10 years. It's a hard one, but it's doable. Believe me, I'd rather be intolerant to soy than eggs! Eggs are the one food, even above gluten, that I'd like back.

Andrea - I'm curious to know if you react to soy lecithin. I was told that it was okay and I have never reacted to it as far as I know. The reason I'm asking is because I'm interested in doing a soy challenge - it would be nice to have soy sauce once in a while and not have to be quite so careful about everything. Maybe because I don't react to the lecithin I have a chance to reintroduce a small amount? I'll never eat much of it, because I don't think it's healthy.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#11 Shalia

Shalia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:52 PM

That sounds scary. I have an intolerance and don't have those reactions. I assume it would have caused damage to my intestines had I stayed on it. Of course, I haven't tried having it again, no interest.

Yep, my nose gets stuffed up and my throat gets swollen up and it feels hard to breathe. :( Ick.

I'm over mourning over gluten and that was only 2 months or so. I'll give soy time, and then I'm sure I'll be used to it. :)

#12 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:01 PM

Andrea - I'm curious to know if you react to soy lecithin. I was told that it was okay and I have never reacted to it as far as I know. The reason I'm asking is because I'm interested in doing a soy challenge - it would be nice to have soy sauce once in a while and not have to be quite so careful about everything. Maybe because I don't react to the lecithin I have a chance to reintroduce a small amount? I'll never eat much of it, because I don't think it's healthy.

Liz,

I haven't tried it. I copied over an article I had saved that I found online. This is just a snippet from the article. I am not IgE allergic so it would be hard for me to know if it was causing problems with me. I went off soy in February and soy lecithin/soy sauce in May I think.

The Hidden Dangers of Soy Allergens
The huge rise in allergic reactions to soy is in line with the increasing use of soy products in processed foods during the 1990s, and should be regarded as a major public health concern.

Extracted from Nexus Magazine, Volume 11, Number 5 (August-September 2004)
PO Box 30, Mapleton Qld 4560 Australia. editor@nexusmagazine.com
Telephone: +61 (0)7 5442 9280; Fax: +61 (0)7 5442 9381
From our web page at: www.nexusmagazine.com
by Kaayla T. Daniel, PhD, CCN © 2004
From Chapter 23 of her book
The Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food
(NewTrends Publishing, 2004)

Some of the most allergenic fractions appear to be the Kunitz and Bowman–Birk trypsin inhibitors. Food processors have tried in vain to deactivate these troublesome proteins completely without irreparably damaging the remainder of the soy protein (see chapter 12). Having failed to accomplish this, the soy industry has decided to promote these "antinutrients" as cancer preventers. To date, its proof remains slim, although cancer statistics might improve if enough people died from anaphylactic shock first.
Although extremely rare, death from allergic reaction to trypsin inhibitor has been a matter of public record since the New England Journal of Medicine carried a report in 1980.37, 38 The Kunitz trypsin inhibitor has been identified as one of three allergic components in soy lecithin—a soy product often considered hypoallergenic (i.e., it has diminished potential for causing an allergic reaction) because it is not supposed to include any soy protein, but invariably contains trace amounts.39
Soybean lectin—another antinutrient now promoted as a disease preventer—has also been identified as an allergen.40 Whenever there is a damaged intestinal lining or "leaky gut", soy lectins can easily pass into the bloodstream, triggering allergic reactions (see chapter 14). Indeed, this is very likely because both soy allergens and saponins (an antinutrient discussed in chapter 15) can damage the intestines.
Histamine toxicity can also resemble allergic reactions. In allergic persons, mast cells release histamine, causing a response that strongly resembles an allergic reaction to food. In cases of histamine toxicity, the histamine comes ready-made in the food. This is most often associated with reactions to cheese and fish, but soy sauce also contains high levels of histamine. Researchers who have calculated the histamine content of foods consumed at a typical oriental meal report that histamine intake may easily approach toxic levels.41

Andrea

#13 Shalia

Shalia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for the article, Andrea. Useful and helpful to read something. :)

Shalia

#14 Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:55 PM

I don't mind not having soy as much as not having dairy.. but I guess each person has a different preference

and just a heads up though you probably either know or would notice on your own but soy is in many cans of tuna.. I was surprised by this (there's often an ingredient of vegetable broth in tuna which contains soy)
- Charlie

- gluten free since January, 2006

- multiple food intolerances temporarily from leaky gut and candida

- positive test for lyme disease - April, 2007

#15 Guest_Robbin_*

Guest_Robbin_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:08 PM

Soy is hard, I know, but it does get easier once you know what to look for. I shout this out on a lot of threads, but yay!! Hellmann's has a great canola mayo!!

Btw, charlie, clark bent, I love your sports blog --didn't read a lot yet, but hey it is good stuff!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: