This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Waah! It's Soy! :(

Shalia

Shalia Apprentice

OK, ever since going gluten-free, I've noticed my nose getting stuffy and my throat getting tight sometimes when I ate. I didn't know what was doing it, but it'd do it on even little things like Hershey's chocolate bars.

So tonight I did a test. I drank some egg nog (that was soy free) and about 2 hours later ate a KinniToo cookie. NOTHING happened when I drank the egg nog, but w/in about 5 minutes of eating the soy filled cookie my nose was stuffing up. WAAAAAAAAAH!

I thought gluten was in everything but SOY... that's nearly as pervasive as corn. I could cry. :(

Shalia - who is going to have her last chocolate bar and will start her soy free life tomorrow. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

That was my reaction when I had to stop eating soy :(:(. I had the same symptoms as you too. There are soy-free chocolate bars. If I remember correctly, I think Green and Blacks is okay. But can you have dairy? If so you still have tons and tons of options.

happygirl Collaborator

Shalia,

I sympathize with you. I'm so sorry. Soy is awful for some of us!

Check out enjoy life foods chocolate chips. They are dairy, gluten, soy free, etc. They are delicious!!!!!! I can't tolerate them anymore because of other food intolerances but they are wonderful. I used to eat them like candy, and bake with it, and melt and put on fruit...etc.

Hope that helps. And welcome to the soy free world!

Shalia Apprentice
That was my reaction when I had to stop eating soy :(:(. I had the same symptoms as you too. There are soy-free chocolate bars. If I remember correctly, I think Green and Blacks is okay. But can you have dairy? If so you still have tons and tons of options.

*so far* dairy is still OK. The egg nog caused no problems at all. And that was both egg and milk.

The cookies, however... :(

Thanks for the empathy, I appreciate it! I've never even seen Green & Blacks. Where do I find THAT?

flagbabyds Collaborator

whole foods has a soy free chocolate bar you could look for that

Shalia Apprentice
Shalia,

I sympathize with you. I'm so sorry. Soy is awful for some of us!

Check out enjoy life foods chocolate chips. They are dairy, gluten, soy free, etc. They are delicious!!!!!! I can't tolerate them anymore because of other food intolerances but they are wonderful. I used to eat them like candy, and bake with it, and melt and put on fruit...etc.

Hope that helps. And welcome to the soy free world!

I've heard good things about Enjoy Life. I'll give them a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for welcoming me to the world. I'm just going to pout right now, though. :angry: (pretend that's a pout) I'll get over it soon enough. I did w/ gluten.

whole foods has a soy free chocolate bar you could look for that

Well, there's no whole foods in Utah, but there is a Wild Oats. Maybe they'll have something. Any idea what the chocolate bar is called?

AndreaB Contributor

I am soy intolerant and LOVE Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips. I had to switch to those to avoid the soy lecithin.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Shalia Apprentice
I am soy intolerant and LOVE Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips. I had to switch to those to avoid the soy lecithin.

That's three votes for them, zero against. I guess I'll give them a try! :)

It sure can't hurt.

I'd rather that than continue w/ my throat feeling closed up and feelign hard to breathe like I am now.

Shalia

AndreaB Contributor
I'd rather that than continue w/ my throat feeling closed up and feelign hard to breathe like I am now.

Shalia

That sounds scary. I have an intolerance and don't have those reactions. I assume it would have caused damage to my intestines had I stayed on it. Of course, I haven't tried having it again, no interest.

lonewolf Collaborator

Shalia - I've been off soy for 10 years. It's a hard one, but it's doable. Believe me, I'd rather be intolerant to soy than eggs! Eggs are the one food, even above gluten, that I'd like back.

Andrea - I'm curious to know if you react to soy lecithin. I was told that it was okay and I have never reacted to it as far as I know. The reason I'm asking is because I'm interested in doing a soy challenge - it would be nice to have soy sauce once in a while and not have to be quite so careful about everything. Maybe because I don't react to the lecithin I have a chance to reintroduce a small amount? I'll never eat much of it, because I don't think it's healthy.

Shalia Apprentice
That sounds scary. I have an intolerance and don't have those reactions. I assume it would have caused damage to my intestines had I stayed on it. Of course, I haven't tried having it again, no interest.

Yep, my nose gets stuffed up and my throat gets swollen up and it feels hard to breathe. :( Ick.

I'm over mourning over gluten and that was only 2 months or so. I'll give soy time, and then I'm sure I'll be used to it. :)

AndreaB Contributor
Andrea - I'm curious to know if you react to soy lecithin. I was told that it was okay and I have never reacted to it as far as I know. The reason I'm asking is because I'm interested in doing a soy challenge - it would be nice to have soy sauce once in a while and not have to be quite so careful about everything. Maybe because I don't react to the lecithin I have a chance to reintroduce a small amount? I'll never eat much of it, because I don't think it's healthy.

Liz,

I haven't tried it. I copied over an article I had saved that I found online. This is just a snippet from the article. I am not IgE allergic so it would be hard for me to know if it was causing problems with me. I went off soy in February and soy lecithin/soy sauce in May I think.

The Hidden Dangers of Soy Allergens

The huge rise in allergic reactions to soy is in line with the increasing use of soy products in processed foods during the 1990s, and should be regarded as a major public health concern.

Extracted from Nexus Magazine, Volume 11, Number 5 (August-September 2004)

PO Box 30, Mapleton Qld 4560 Australia. editor@nexusmagazine.com

Telephone: +61 (0)7 5442 9280; Fax: +61 (0)7 5442 9381

From our web page at: www.nexusmagazine.com

by Kaayla T. Daniel, PhD, CCN © 2004

From Chapter 23 of her book

The Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food

(NewTrends Publishing, 2004)

Some of the most allergenic fractions appear to be the Kunitz and Bowman–Birk trypsin inhibitors. Food processors have tried in vain to deactivate these troublesome proteins completely without irreparably damaging the remainder of the soy protein (see chapter 12). Having failed to accomplish this, the soy industry has decided to promote these "antinutrients" as cancer preventers. To date, its proof remains slim, although cancer statistics might improve if enough people died from anaphylactic shock first.

Although extremely rare, death from allergic reaction to trypsin inhibitor has been a matter of public record since the New England Journal of Medicine carried a report in 1980.37, 38 The Kunitz trypsin inhibitor has been identified as one of three allergic components in soy lecithin—a soy product often considered hypoallergenic (i.e., it has diminished potential for causing an allergic reaction) because it is not supposed to include any soy protein, but invariably contains trace amounts.39

Soybean lectin—another antinutrient now promoted as a disease preventer—has also been identified as an allergen.40 Whenever there is a damaged intestinal lining or "leaky gut", soy lectins can easily pass into the bloodstream, triggering allergic reactions (see chapter 14). Indeed, this is very likely because both soy allergens and saponins (an antinutrient discussed in chapter 15) can damage the intestines.

Histamine toxicity can also resemble allergic reactions. In allergic persons, mast cells release histamine, causing a response that strongly resembles an allergic reaction to food. In cases of histamine toxicity, the histamine comes ready-made in the food. This is most often associated with reactions to cheese and fish, but soy sauce also contains high levels of histamine. Researchers who have calculated the histamine content of foods consumed at a typical oriental meal report that histamine intake may easily approach toxic levels.41

Shalia Apprentice

Thanks for the article, Andrea. Useful and helpful to read something. :)

Shalia

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor

I don't mind not having soy as much as not having dairy.. but I guess each person has a different preference

and just a heads up though you probably either know or would notice on your own but soy is in many cans of tuna.. I was surprised by this (there's often an ingredient of vegetable broth in tuna which contains soy)

Guest Robbin

Soy is hard, I know, but it does get easier once you know what to look for. I shout this out on a lot of threads, but yay!! Hellmann's has a great canola mayo!!

Btw, charlie, clark bent, I love your sports blog --didn't read a lot yet, but hey it is good stuff!!!

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor
Btw, charlie, clark bent, I love your sports blog --didn't read a lot yet, but hey it is good stuff!!!

thanks, I almost forgot about it :rolleyes: I haven't written anything on the blog for a month or so since I've been working on my novel again (or at least I'd like to pretend I am)... but I might try and get a column or two up now that football is a couple weeks into the season and I no longer have to watch the phillies once again come up short of the playoffs

Mtndog Collaborator

no soy for me either- in fact all legumes so i miss my chocolate and peanut butter but it gives me intense joint and muscle pain even in small amounts. NOT worth it. Enjoy Life rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i haven't found their chocolate chips yet but I snarf down their chocolate chip cookies whenever I get my hands on them. Also, Namaste makes great mixes (including brownie mix0 that are allergen free- no soy or gluten. I LOVE the blondie mix. Melts in your mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wolfie Enthusiast

I am also off of all soy now. It makes me feel horrible! I can't do soybean oil in anything, even tortilla chips or soy lecithin. I do Hellman's Canola Oil. I have heard about Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips, I may need to give those a try. I also use Canola Oil to fry fries or chix nuggets in and olive oil to saute in. I can't use any margarines b/c I haven't found any that are soy free. I use butter, but need to remember to take Lactaid with it b/c I am lactose intolerant.

The hardest part is eating out. Gluten is hard enough to detect, let alone soy. I usually stick to restaurants that I know and that know me.

AndreaB Contributor

I use grapeseed oil, I think the brand I've been buying is Napa Naturals or something like that. It's at Wild Oats. I like grapeseed oil because it can handle higher heat.

Shalia Apprentice
I don't mind not having soy as much as not having dairy.. but I guess each person has a different preference

and just a heads up though you probably either know or would notice on your own but soy is in many cans of tuna.. I was surprised by this (there's often an ingredient of vegetable broth in tuna which contains soy)

Yeah, and we'd just bought tuna, too. Now I have 6 cans of useless tuna. :(

I need mayo and butter suggestions. :(

Thanks for the heads up!

Soy is hard, I know, but it does get easier once you know what to look for. I shout this out on a lot of threads, but yay!! Hellmann's has a great canola mayo!!

Great! Thanks for the heads up. :) I was wanting mayo!

I use grapeseed oil, I think the brand I've been buying is Napa Naturals or something like that. It's at Wild Oats. I like grapeseed oil because it can handle higher heat.

Cool, I have some grapeseed oil. I'll give that a try. :) Thanks!

happygirl Collaborator

Shalia,

Feel free to pout. And even as you go on, you'll probably still pout now and then. But, you know this because you are gluten free. :)

Check out spectrum organics. I think they have a non soy based mayo. I think its canola based.

Laura

Shalia Apprentice
Shalia,

Feel free to pout. And even as you go on, you'll probably still pout now and then. But, you know this because you are gluten free. :)

Check out spectrum organics. I think they have a non soy based mayo. I think its canola based.

Laura

Cool, thanks. :) I'll go look them up now.

I'll get over the poutyness if it makes me feel better. I'm good about that eventually. ;)

Shalia

happygirl Collaborator

I'm right there with ya. But sometimes, you have to go through the "bad" feelings to get to a place of good feelings. (I say this as I am craving chocolate something awful, and am reacting to it.) Ugh.

Good luck with the mayo, etc.

Shalia Apprentice
I'm right there with ya. But sometimes, you have to go through the "bad" feelings to get to a place of good feelings. (I say this as I am craving chocolate something awful, and am reacting to it.) Ugh.

Good luck with the mayo, etc.

Wow, just looked at your list. What ARE you eating? It'd be easier to list your "can" foods than your "can't"!!

AndreaB Contributor

Shalia,

I use Spectrum Naturals Canola Mayo. It's pretty good.

Archived