• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• This subject is often raised on this site, especially by women.  I am prompted to raise it again today, having spoken to my doctor who has said that she has noticed that celiacs often have thin hair, especially in later years.   Rather than just accept what she thinks is just the inevitable I would really like to hear from anyone who really has seen great improvement in their own hair and what they did. There are lots of tips on line but I am particularly interested in hearing from someone who has actually been there, done that, and now has better hair!  
    • This subject is often raised on this site, especially by women.  I am prompted to raise it again today, having spoken to my doctor who has said that she has noticed that celiacs often have thin hair, especially in later years.   Rather than just accept what she thinks is just the inevitable I would really like to hear from anyone who really has seen great improvement in their own hair and what they did. There are lots of tips on line but I am particularly interested in hearing from someone who has actually been there, done that, and now has better hair!  
    • Oh i hope so!! I'm really anxious about the procedure as I've never done it before. I've been through operations but never an endoscopy and the thought of it is really scaring me! Thank you for giving me some courage! 
    • You are right, the tests could be invalid.   All the celiac tests require you to be on a gluten-containing diet.  It is up to you to decide if you want to go gluten free.  You can do it.  Believe me, I know.  Hubby is not officially diagnosed.  He went gluten-free 15 years ago, based on the rather poor advice from my allergist and his GP.  It worked though.  But he would be the first to tell you that I have had way more support in terms of family and medical.    We think he has it.  Both of our families are riddled with autoimmine disorders.  I am the first to be diagnosed.   My Aunt went gluten free per the advice of her Chiropractor.  Her other doctors never suspected celiac disease.  The diet obviously worked for her.  Her daughter (my cousin) is a nurse.  She had an endoscopy but they did not check for celiac disease.  She chose to go gluten-free too since it worked for her mom.  Both will not do a gluten challenge.  However, my diagnosis has helped them get proper medical treatment.  My Aunt is very active in a celiac support group.    Now everyone in my family knows about celiac disease.  My own niece was just diagnosed with Crohn's, but her GI did test and will continue to test her for celiac disease.  You can develop additional autoimmune disorders at any time.   So far, a few other members have been tested.  No one else had had a celiac disease diagnosis yet.  Time will tell.  If I can save someone from the misery of struggling to get a diagnosis, then I can feel good.   Now, an official diagnosis will help you adhere to the diet .  You can get follow-up care.  Get checked for other things like SIBO, H. Pylori and cancer.  But ultimately, it is up to you.   Whatever you decided to do, please consider a family health history chart.  You might someday help a grandchild.   The stool tests?  In all my research, leading celiac experts do not recommend them.  http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/why-dont-you-recognize-tests-stool-tests-or-otherwise-for-gluten-sensitivity-that-are-currently-available-through-companies-like-enterolab-or-cyrex/ gene testing?  Some 30% of the poulation carries the celiac genes.  It just tells you that you have the chance to develop celiac disease.  It can not diagnose you.    
    • The procedure is a breeze. You will go in, be sedated and go to sleep for a short nap and then it's over. Some people will have a bit of a sore throat but not everyone does. For me the hardest part of the endo was not being able to drink coffee when I got up. You seem to have been back on gluten for long enough to have the test but as CLady said there is a good chance your blood work may be negative. In your case you may want to continue eating gluten after the biopsy at least until you get your blood results. If they are negative consider going a bit longer and getting them redone.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    KerryO
Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Waah! It's Soy! :(

37 posts in this topic

Shalia,

I use Spectrum Naturals Canola Mayo. It's pretty good.

Thanks! Their website says a store right near me carries their products, so I'm going to go check them out. :)

I appreciate the suggestions.

Shalia

Ads by Google:

I think there is some form of soy in most comercial broths - not sure what it really is but every time I try one, I get sick so I just make my own.

Watch out for those cooking sprays, they all have soy too - except for one passover one I found that is just olive oil.

I make the three ingredient peanut butter cookies that has its own thread with cashew butter, sugar, eggs, and half a bag of Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips!!! TO DIE FOR!!!

I also have given up all legumes and react to soy lechtin. And I am intolerant to the calcium they add to OJ and all the non-dairy milks.

I think there is some form of soy in most comercial broths - not sure what it really is but every time I try one, I get sick so I just make my own.

Yeah, I'd just made a giant pot of chicken soup two days before I figured this out, and I had to throw it all away because the broth had soy in it. :(

What a waste.

I'd ask about the cookies, but I truly detest all nuts. But thank you!

Kate,

Does that include Imagine Foods and Pacific. Do you have those in Canada?

Kate,

Does that include Imagine Foods and Pacific. Do you have those in Canada?

From Imagine Foods' webpage:

Soy Free Products:

The following varieties only:

Organic Creamy Butternut Squash

Organic Creamy Potato Leek

Organic Creamy Tomato

Organic No-Chicken Broth

Organic Vegetable Broth

Organic Free Range Chicken Broth

Organic Creamy Sweet Potato Soup

Organic Creamy Chicken Soup

Organic Chicken Stock

Organic Beef Stock

Organic Vegetable Stock

Organic Asian Broth

Gluten Free Products:

All varieties except Organic Creamy Chicken and Organic Soy Ginger Noodle Broth.

So that Soy Free list, minus the Creamy Chicken would be OK for us. :)

(Now I know what type to buy next time... :) )

I like Imagine Foods broths. I have used them, just wondered if I missed something.

Shalia,

I'm limited, mostly due to corn. Corn is in everything, and is not required to be listed. So its very hard. Absolutely no processed foods. Plain meats, with sea salt, lemon/lime juice for seasoning. Some veggies, some fruits. And that is it. (This is all a recent thing for me...Celiac dx 8/04, was fine, then this spring, got sick again....turns out I think I have a problem with something called "lectins" which are found in high concentrations in certain (most) foods). Still working through it. It is boring and sad....but, I was SO horribly sick, and I just want to get back to being a 25 year old!

If I can do it (I used to eat anything and everything!!!!! and now, I'm down to this)---it is proof that anyone can do it.

Hope that soy free living is good to you!

Maybe it is the corn and not the soy that is my problem with broths then. I still make my own - just works better.

Shalia,

I'm limited, mostly due to corn. Corn is in everything, and is not required to be listed. So its very hard. Absolutely no processed foods. Plain meats, with sea salt, lemon/lime juice for seasoning. Some veggies, some fruits. And that is it. (This is all a recent thing for me...Celiac dx 8/04, was fine, then this spring, got sick again....turns out I think I have a problem with something called "lectins" which are found in high concentrations in certain (most) foods). Still working through it. It is boring and sad....but, I was SO horribly sick, and I just want to get back to being a 25 year old!

If I can do it (I used to eat anything and everything!!!!! and now, I'm down to this)---it is proof that anyone can do it.

Hope that soy free living is good to you!

Wow. I am *so* impressed you do that.

But then again, people seem impressed by gluten-free living, and if I look back and realize I had no real life at all, it doesn't seem like as much a "sacrifice". Maybe you feel the same about corn?

I keep making mistakes w/ soy, though. I'm not used to the new label reading, and I keep buying stuff i can't eat. I'm so frustrated. *sigh*

It'll take time, I know, but i want results now. ;)

Shalia

I also have given up all legumes and react to soy lechtin. And I am intolerant to the calcium they add to OJ and all the non-dairy milks.

Most enrichments in milks (dairy and non-dairy) are put into either a corn or soy carrier, which could be why you react to them. Same is for calcium added to OJ. Finding unenriched milks isn't easy as the only unenriched non-dairy milks I know of are rice or soy based, and the rice one has gluten.

Broths are corn magnents. Imagine broths are good though, and I love their soups.

Simply V,

So if I were to call the manufacturer of the OJ fortified with calcium would they be able to tell me if it was soy or corn that the calcium was with?

Simply V,

So if I were to call the manufacturer of the OJ fortified with calcium would they be able to tell me if it was soy or corn that the calcium was with?

They should. The soy information would probably be accurate since govt requires it to be labeled, so they should be accurate with the yes or no on soy. However, from experience I know that they're not good at corn or corn derivatives. I react to even the smallest drop of anything made from corn.

For example, Coca Cola has insisted that their Simply Orange juice line are corn-free. However I know both I and a corn allergic child reported reactions to the product. I don't know where the corn is in the product and Coca Cola insists its corn-free. *shrugs* So guess I won't ever know.