Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Waah! It's Soy! :(

37 posts in this topic

Shalia,

I use Spectrum Naturals Canola Mayo. It's pretty good.

Thanks! Their website says a store right near me carries their products, so I'm going to go check them out. :)

I appreciate the suggestions.

Shalia

Ads by Google:

I think there is some form of soy in most comercial broths - not sure what it really is but every time I try one, I get sick so I just make my own.

Watch out for those cooking sprays, they all have soy too - except for one passover one I found that is just olive oil.

I make the three ingredient peanut butter cookies that has its own thread with cashew butter, sugar, eggs, and half a bag of Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips!!! TO DIE FOR!!!

I also have given up all legumes and react to soy lechtin. And I am intolerant to the calcium they add to OJ and all the non-dairy milks.

I think there is some form of soy in most comercial broths - not sure what it really is but every time I try one, I get sick so I just make my own.

Yeah, I'd just made a giant pot of chicken soup two days before I figured this out, and I had to throw it all away because the broth had soy in it. :(

What a waste.

I'd ask about the cookies, but I truly detest all nuts. But thank you!

Kate,

Does that include Imagine Foods and Pacific. Do you have those in Canada?

Kate,

Does that include Imagine Foods and Pacific. Do you have those in Canada?

From Imagine Foods' webpage:

Soy Free Products:

The following varieties only:

Organic Creamy Butternut Squash

Organic Creamy Potato Leek

Organic Creamy Tomato

Organic No-Chicken Broth

Organic Vegetable Broth

Organic Free Range Chicken Broth

Organic Creamy Sweet Potato Soup

Organic Creamy Chicken Soup

Organic Chicken Stock

Organic Beef Stock

Organic Vegetable Stock

Organic Asian Broth

Gluten Free Products:

All varieties except Organic Creamy Chicken and Organic Soy Ginger Noodle Broth.

So that Soy Free list, minus the Creamy Chicken would be OK for us. :)

(Now I know what type to buy next time... :) )

I like Imagine Foods broths. I have used them, just wondered if I missed something.

Shalia,

I'm limited, mostly due to corn. Corn is in everything, and is not required to be listed. So its very hard. Absolutely no processed foods. Plain meats, with sea salt, lemon/lime juice for seasoning. Some veggies, some fruits. And that is it. (This is all a recent thing for me...Celiac dx 8/04, was fine, then this spring, got sick again....turns out I think I have a problem with something called "lectins" which are found in high concentrations in certain (most) foods). Still working through it. It is boring and sad....but, I was SO horribly sick, and I just want to get back to being a 25 year old!

If I can do it (I used to eat anything and everything!!!!! and now, I'm down to this)---it is proof that anyone can do it.

Hope that soy free living is good to you!

Maybe it is the corn and not the soy that is my problem with broths then. I still make my own - just works better.

Shalia,

I'm limited, mostly due to corn. Corn is in everything, and is not required to be listed. So its very hard. Absolutely no processed foods. Plain meats, with sea salt, lemon/lime juice for seasoning. Some veggies, some fruits. And that is it. (This is all a recent thing for me...Celiac dx 8/04, was fine, then this spring, got sick again....turns out I think I have a problem with something called "lectins" which are found in high concentrations in certain (most) foods). Still working through it. It is boring and sad....but, I was SO horribly sick, and I just want to get back to being a 25 year old!

If I can do it (I used to eat anything and everything!!!!! and now, I'm down to this)---it is proof that anyone can do it.

Hope that soy free living is good to you!

Wow. I am *so* impressed you do that.

But then again, people seem impressed by gluten-free living, and if I look back and realize I had no real life at all, it doesn't seem like as much a "sacrifice". Maybe you feel the same about corn?

I keep making mistakes w/ soy, though. I'm not used to the new label reading, and I keep buying stuff i can't eat. I'm so frustrated. *sigh*

It'll take time, I know, but i want results now. ;)

Shalia

I also have given up all legumes and react to soy lechtin. And I am intolerant to the calcium they add to OJ and all the non-dairy milks.

Most enrichments in milks (dairy and non-dairy) are put into either a corn or soy carrier, which could be why you react to them. Same is for calcium added to OJ. Finding unenriched milks isn't easy as the only unenriched non-dairy milks I know of are rice or soy based, and the rice one has gluten.

Broths are corn magnents. Imagine broths are good though, and I love their soups.

Simply V,

So if I were to call the manufacturer of the OJ fortified with calcium would they be able to tell me if it was soy or corn that the calcium was with?

Simply V,

So if I were to call the manufacturer of the OJ fortified with calcium would they be able to tell me if it was soy or corn that the calcium was with?

They should. The soy information would probably be accurate since govt requires it to be labeled, so they should be accurate with the yes or no on soy. However, from experience I know that they're not good at corn or corn derivatives. I react to even the smallest drop of anything made from corn.

For example, Coca Cola has insisted that their Simply Orange juice line are corn-free. However I know both I and a corn allergic child reported reactions to the product. I don't know where the corn is in the product and Coca Cola insists its corn-free. *shrugs* So guess I won't ever know.