36 replies to this topic

#16 Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:30 PM

Btw, charlie, clark bent, I love your sports blog --didn't read a lot yet, but hey it is good stuff!!!

thanks, I almost forgot about it :rolleyes: I haven't written anything on the blog for a month or so since I've been working on my novel again (or at least I'd like to pretend I am)... but I might try and get a column or two up now that football is a couple weeks into the season and I no longer have to watch the phillies once again come up short of the playoffs
- Charlie

- gluten free since January, 2006

- multiple food intolerances temporarily from leaky gut and candida

- positive test for lyme disease - April, 2007

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:31 PM

no soy for me either- in fact all legumes so i miss my chocolate and peanut butter but it gives me intense joint and muscle pain even in small amounts. NOT worth it. Enjoy Life rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i haven't found their chocolate chips yet but I snarf down their chocolate chip cookies whenever I get my hands on them. Also, Namaste makes great mixes (including brownie mix0 that are allergen free- no soy or gluten. I LOVE the blondie mix. Melts in your mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#18 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:39 AM

I am also off of all soy now. It makes me feel horrible! I can't do soybean oil in anything, even tortilla chips or soy lecithin. I do Hellman's Canola Oil. I have heard about Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips, I may need to give those a try. I also use Canola Oil to fry fries or chix nuggets in and olive oil to saute in. I can't use any margarines b/c I haven't found any that are soy free. I use butter, but need to remember to take Lactaid with it b/c I am lactose intolerant.

The hardest part is eating out. Gluten is hard enough to detect, let alone soy. I usually stick to restaurants that I know and that know me.
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#19 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:05 AM

I use grapeseed oil, I think the brand I've been buying is Napa Naturals or something like that. It's at Wild Oats. I like grapeseed oil because it can handle higher heat.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#20 Shalia

Shalia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

I don't mind not having soy as much as not having dairy.. but I guess each person has a different preference

and just a heads up though you probably either know or would notice on your own but soy is in many cans of tuna.. I was surprised by this (there's often an ingredient of vegetable broth in tuna which contains soy)

Yeah, and we'd just bought tuna, too. Now I have 6 cans of useless tuna. :(

I need mayo and butter suggestions. :(

Thanks for the heads up!

Soy is hard, I know, but it does get easier once you know what to look for. I shout this out on a lot of threads, but yay!! Hellmann's has a great canola mayo!!

Btw, charlie, clark bent, I love your sports blog --didn't read a lot yet, but hey it is good stuff!!!

Great! Thanks for the heads up. :) I was wanting mayo!

I use grapeseed oil, I think the brand I've been buying is Napa Naturals or something like that. It's at Wild Oats. I like grapeseed oil because it can handle higher heat.

Cool, I have some grapeseed oil. I'll give that a try. :) Thanks!

#21 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:11 PM

Shalia,
Feel free to pout. And even as you go on, you'll probably still pout now and then. But, you know this because you are gluten free. :)
Check out spectrum organics. I think they have a non soy based mayo. I think its canola based.
Laura

#22 Shalia

Shalia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:17 PM

Shalia,
Feel free to pout. And even as you go on, you'll probably still pout now and then. But, you know this because you are gluten free. :)
Check out spectrum organics. I think they have a non soy based mayo. I think its canola based.
Laura

Cool, thanks. :) I'll go look them up now.

I'll get over the poutyness if it makes me feel better. I'm good about that eventually. ;)

Shalia

#23 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:19 PM

I'm right there with ya. But sometimes, you have to go through the "bad" feelings to get to a place of good feelings. (I say this as I am craving chocolate something awful, and am reacting to it.) Ugh.

Good luck with the mayo, etc.

#24 Shalia

Shalia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:22 PM

I'm right there with ya. But sometimes, you have to go through the "bad" feelings to get to a place of good feelings. (I say this as I am craving chocolate something awful, and am reacting to it.) Ugh.

Good luck with the mayo, etc.

Wow, just looked at your list. What ARE you eating? It'd be easier to list your "can" foods than your "can't"!!

#25 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:48 PM

Shalia,

I use Spectrum Naturals Canola Mayo. It's pretty good.

Andrea

Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#26 Shalia

Shalia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:54 PM

Shalia,

I use Spectrum Naturals Canola Mayo. It's pretty good.

Thanks! Their website says a store right near me carries their products, so I'm going to go check them out. :)

I appreciate the suggestions.

Shalia

#27 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:02 AM

I think there is some form of soy in most comercial broths - not sure what it really is but every time I try one, I get sick so I just make my own.

Watch out for those cooking sprays, they all have soy too - except for one passover one I found that is just olive oil.

I make the three ingredient peanut butter cookies that has its own thread with cashew butter, sugar, eggs, and half a bag of Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips!!! TO DIE FOR!!!

I also have given up all legumes and react to soy lechtin. And I am intolerant to the calcium they add to OJ and all the non-dairy milks.
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#28 Shalia

Shalia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:06 PM

I think there is some form of soy in most comercial broths - not sure what it really is but every time I try one, I get sick so I just make my own.

Yeah, I'd just made a giant pot of chicken soup two days before I figured this out, and I had to throw it all away because the broth had soy in it. :(

What a waste.

I'd ask about the cookies, but I truly detest all nuts. But thank you!

#29 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:15 PM

Kate,

Does that include Imagine Foods and Pacific. Do you have those in Canada?

Andrea

#30 Shalia

Shalia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:28 PM

Kate,

Does that include Imagine Foods and Pacific. Do you have those in Canada?

From Imagine Foods' webpage:

Soy Free Products:

The following varieties only:

Organic Creamy Butternut Squash
Organic Creamy Potato Leek
Organic Creamy Tomato
Organic No-Chicken Broth
Organic Vegetable Broth
Organic Free Range Chicken Broth
Organic Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
Organic Creamy Chicken Soup
Organic Chicken Stock
Organic Beef Stock
Organic Vegetable Stock
Organic Asian Broth

Gluten Free Products:

All varieties except Organic Creamy Chicken and Organic Soy Ginger Noodle Broth.

So that Soy Free list, minus the Creamy Chicken would be OK for us. :)

(Now I know what type to buy next time... :) )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: