36 replies to this topic

#31 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:34 PM

I like Imagine Foods broths. I have used them, just wondered if I missed something.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 happygirl

happygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:50 AM

Shalia,
I'm limited, mostly due to corn. Corn is in everything, and is not required to be listed. So its very hard. Absolutely no processed foods. Plain meats, with sea salt, lemon/lime juice for seasoning. Some veggies, some fruits. And that is it. (This is all a recent thing for me...Celiac dx 8/04, was fine, then this spring, got sick again....turns out I think I have a problem with something called "lectins" which are found in high concentrations in certain (most) foods). Still working through it. It is boring and sad....but, I was SO horribly sick, and I just want to get back to being a 25 year old!
If I can do it (I used to eat anything and everything!!!!! and now, I'm down to this)---it is proof that anyone can do it.

Hope that soy free living is good to you!

#33 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:43 AM

Maybe it is the corn and not the soy that is my problem with broths then. I still make my own - just works better.
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#34 Shalia

Shalia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:20 AM

Shalia,
I'm limited, mostly due to corn. Corn is in everything, and is not required to be listed. So its very hard. Absolutely no processed foods. Plain meats, with sea salt, lemon/lime juice for seasoning. Some veggies, some fruits. And that is it. (This is all a recent thing for me...Celiac dx 8/04, was fine, then this spring, got sick again....turns out I think I have a problem with something called "lectins" which are found in high concentrations in certain (most) foods). Still working through it. It is boring and sad....but, I was SO horribly sick, and I just want to get back to being a 25 year old!
If I can do it (I used to eat anything and everything!!!!! and now, I'm down to this)---it is proof that anyone can do it.

Hope that soy free living is good to you!

Wow. I am *so* impressed you do that.

But then again, people seem impressed by gluten-free living, and if I look back and realize I had no real life at all, it doesn't seem like as much a "sacrifice". Maybe you feel the same about corn?

I keep making mistakes w/ soy, though. I'm not used to the new label reading, and I keep buying stuff i can't eat. I'm so frustrated. *sigh*

It'll take time, I know, but i want results now. ;)

Shalia

#35 Simply_V

Simply_V

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:43 PM

I also have given up all legumes and react to soy lechtin. And I am intolerant to the calcium they add to OJ and all the non-dairy milks.

Most enrichments in milks (dairy and non-dairy) are put into either a corn or soy carrier, which could be why you react to them. Same is for calcium added to OJ. Finding unenriched milks isn't easy as the only unenriched non-dairy milks I know of are rice or soy based, and the rice one has gluten.

Broths are corn magnents. Imagine broths are good though, and I love their soups.
V
Severe airborne allergies since childhood. Was on constant antihisamines with behavior issues. Digestion issues started noticably around 1985.
1992 IBS diagnosis.
2004 Corn allergy - through diet discovery.
2005 RAST negative to all food allergies. High cholesterol diagnosed as PCOS.
2006 Immunolabs ELISA and IgE assay:
IgE to Corn, Milk, Eggs, & White Bean.
IgG to peppers, blk/wt pepper, beans, almonds, yeasts.
Neg. to Celiac, gluten, etc. High IgA level.
2008 No longer considered as having PCOS, or associated risks.

Currently avoiding corn, eggs, cow & goat milk, all beans (cept some soy derivatives & peanut oil), cruciferous veggies, onions/garlic, carrots/celery, anything bilberry/cranberry/blueberry, peppers, and anything remotely corn derived, corntaminated.

Currently off all allergy medications for airborne allergies and breathing fine.

#36 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:20 PM

Simply V,

So if I were to call the manufacturer of the OJ fortified with calcium would they be able to tell me if it was soy or corn that the calcium was with?

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#37 Simply_V

Simply_V

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:18 PM

Simply V,

So if I were to call the manufacturer of the OJ fortified with calcium would they be able to tell me if it was soy or corn that the calcium was with?

They should. The soy information would probably be accurate since govt requires it to be labeled, so they should be accurate with the yes or no on soy. However, from experience I know that they're not good at corn or corn derivatives. I react to even the smallest drop of anything made from corn.

For example, Coca Cola has insisted that their Simply Orange juice line are corn-free. However I know both I and a corn allergic child reported reactions to the product. I don't know where the corn is in the product and Coca Cola insists its corn-free. *shrugs* So guess I won't ever know.
V
Severe airborne allergies since childhood. Was on constant antihisamines with behavior issues. Digestion issues started noticably around 1985.
1992 IBS diagnosis.
2004 Corn allergy - through diet discovery.
2005 RAST negative to all food allergies. High cholesterol diagnosed as PCOS.
2006 Immunolabs ELISA and IgE assay:
IgE to Corn, Milk, Eggs, & White Bean.
IgG to peppers, blk/wt pepper, beans, almonds, yeasts.
Neg. to Celiac, gluten, etc. High IgA level.
2008 No longer considered as having PCOS, or associated risks.

Currently avoiding corn, eggs, cow & goat milk, all beans (cept some soy derivatives & peanut oil), cruciferous veggies, onions/garlic, carrots/celery, anything bilberry/cranberry/blueberry, peppers, and anything remotely corn derived, corntaminated.

Currently off all allergy medications for airborne allergies and breathing fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: