9 replies to this topic

#1 suzven

suzven

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:25 AM

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 2 1/2 years ago and have done pretty well with my diet since. Now it seems I'm having major problems with dairy. I am going to try to cut out the dairy for a while because I've heard that there may be a link between Celiac and Dairy intollerance. I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem and if the pills for lactaid intollerance work or not.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dlp252

dlp252

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:29 AM

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 2 1/2 years ago and have done pretty well with my diet since. Now it seems I'm having major problems with dairy. I am going to try to cut out the dairy for a while because I've heard that there may be a link between Celiac and Dairy intollerance. I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem and if the pills for lactaid intollerance work or not.

The pills for lactose digestion might help if your problem is with the milk sugar lactose, but won't if your problem is with the protein casein. I definitely have an intolerance to the casein so can't have dairy in any instance. Years ago I tried lactaid milk and pills and they helped a little, but I still had problems and never knew why until I tested last year and found the casein intolerance.

#3 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:31 AM

I'm also casein intolerant. It's much like gluten intolerance in both the symptoms and the fact that it's permanent.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#4 suzven

suzven

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:34 AM

I'm also casein intolerant. It's much like gluten intolerance in both the symptoms and the fact that it's permanent.

I'm starting to consider an IV permanently hooked up to make my life easier... It's getting frustrating. Thanks for your help

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:38 AM

We can't tell you if lactase (the enzyme that is the main 'ingredient' in lactaid pills/drops) will help because we can't tell if the problem you have is with lactose (the milk sugar) and not producing enough of the enzyme internally to break it down, or if the problem is an intolerance to casein (the milk protein) and your immune system reacting to that protein. The only way to know is to test it. Try drinking some milk (you want something with both lactose and casein) AND taking lactaid (you could just test with the full strenght, store-bought lactaid milk; it's a little sweeter than regular milk), and seeing how you react, then comparing it to a regular glass of milk.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 suzven

suzven

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:47 AM

you guys are all very helpful....I just joined this site figuring I'd try it out and it's great. I guess it's more trial and error. It just gets to the point that you start wondering if you're ever going to enjoy eating again.

#7 Kody

Kody

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:10 AM

I just recently started this diet and already feel like a different person... maybe I'd feel even better if I get off dairy too... at least for a while and see what happens.

Damn, I could be perfectly healthy if I lived off steak and apples. Maybe that's what I'll do. Never worry about food allergies again! :lol:

Oh, and lots and lots of vitamin/mineral supplements.
"I have failed and that is why I succeed."

#8 Guest_laydirain_*

Guest_laydirain_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:39 PM

I'm lactose intolerant & have been for 17 years. Check this site out: http://www.dietitian.com/milk.html. From what I read, i you might be able to try the lactaid milk with lactaid pills too (to ensure its not the lactose) and if you still get sick, then I would think it was the casein. I don't know, but that's what i would do. Id also ask the casein people if the symptoms are the same: nausea, bloating, gas, diahrea.

If you are lactose intolerant there are so many great substitues you can eat!

Oh and if you are sensitive to lactose, you would probably be sensitive to whey too (i think it depends on HOW sensitive you are).

ttfn

#9 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:42 PM

I'm lactose intolerant & have been for 17 years. Check this site out: http://www.dietitian.com/milk.html. From what I read, i you might be able to try the lactaid milk with lactaid pills too (to ensure its not the lactose) and if you still get sick, then I would think it was the casein. I don't know, but that's what i would do. Id also ask the casein people if the symptoms are the same: nausea, bloating, gas, diahrea.

If you are lactose intolerant there are so many great substitues you can eat!

Oh and if you are sensitive to lactose, you would probably be sensitive to whey too (i think it depends on HOW sensitive you are).

ttfn

When I was only lactose intolerant, the symptoms were bloating, gas, and diarrhea, but it wasn't too bad for me as long as I kept my consumption down and didn't consume milk on an empty stomach. After I became sensitive to casein, I started to get edema, and I just gave it up right then and there. No need to have old lady legs at my age.
Nothing

#10 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:55 PM

Many people end up developing numerous food intolerances. Count me in the group. You also might want to try doing it first thing in the morning (so you haven't eaten anything else and you know its the milk/lactose/casein that is causing the reaction). It might be multiple foods, or may only be one. Good luck, and let us know what we can do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: