Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Questions About Celiac Disease

5 posts in this topic

I am a celiac patient. I've known that I had Dermititus Herpediformus (sp?) for about 20 years. Recently I had the gut-scope done to me and found I have Celiac Sprue. Since being diagnosed with D.H. long ago, I have taken Dapsone every day and kept eating whatever I wanted. Upon learning of this new development, I have decided to try to go 100% gluten free and see if it affects how I feel. But I have some questions that I need answers for:

1. Does the amount of gluten ingested affect the amount of villi damage done? In other words, is one little particle of gluten like a duodenal atomic bomb - flattening villi in all directions - or is it dependant on how much gluten you have eaten in determing the amount of damage done?

2. They told me if I went gluten-free that my villi damage was not permanent and they would begin growing back normally. What is the time period for this rejuvenation?

3. Is Dapsone bad for you?

4. Is "Ezekial" brand bread really Gluten Free? Dr. Phil's wife said it was.

5. What about 1-a-day vitamins for men and Tums?

Thanks in adavance for any information you can give me.

And when will Bard'sTale Beer be available? It's supposed to be the only Gluten-free beer available.

Ads by Google:

If you have DH andd celiac you don't need to just "try" going gluten-free, you NEED to go gluten-free. While one crumb of gluten will not flatten all your villi, continued exposure to gluten can slowly make you sicker and sicker. You also remain more likely to develop certain cancers and other autoimmune diseases. It's possible you could go along for years with no problems, or things could slowly pile up until you end up in the hospital, like I did.

Dapsone can have severe side effects in some people, but thsoe side effects are rare and can be montiored with regular visits to the doctor. I took it for more than 20 years but wasn't aware of the connection with celiac.

Ezekiel bread is not gluten-free. Some claim sprouted wheat is OK but I wouldn't take the chance. Spelt is also off-limits. We all keep our fingers crossed for Bard's beer. They're trying to find ways and places to distribute it now.

richard

Just thought I'd mention, my mum used to sprout wheat regularly, but tests revieled the sprouts were not gluten-free.

please make sure you stay gluten Free.........it gets easier as you go along and everyone is here For you.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Topics

• Based on the information you have posted today, the most likely probable reason for your being ill is that you are getting glutened!  Here is a biggie....does your hubby brush his teeth prior to kissing you?  Seriously, it can happen, but going out to eat a lot.....that is just as bad!  
    • I got glutened last summer.  Heck, I do not even know what glutened me, but I suspect two products that my gluten-free hubby never consumed (he is my canary).  My symptoms were so different from when I was diagnosed (just had anemia then).  My GI thought I had SIBO or something else, but I asked for a celiac panel.  Yep, I had been Glutened!  Took me three months to recover and another three to regain lost weight.  Yeah, I picked up another health issue on the way (hives, rashes, swelling, itching, ab pain, vomiting, and fainting.)   I did not eat out for one year!  Only this summer, I did.  Was it worth the risk?  You bet!  Three weeks in Europe.  Fortunately,  7 days was on a cruise and Celebrity did a great job.  Italy was so celiac-savvy and I did my research and found places recommended by other celiacs in Spain, France and Poland.  If not, we bought cold food at the market and had a picnic.   I am home.  Will I eat out?  Probably not.  I have a busy Fall ahead of me (High School....football, marching band, volunteer positions, house projects, and work).  I can not afford to be sick.   Ah, I will eat out this Thanksgiving break.  My favorite restaurant is 100% gluten free in Tucson, AZ.   Maybe I will discover another gluten-free restaurant closer to home! 
    • I do est out occasionally - but not indiscriminately.  I am careful to choose places that under stand gluten free.  And places that the food is naturally gluten-free, helps, too.  Celiacs can't just eat something that should be gluten-free and hope it is.  We have to use some common sense and ask questions.  
    • You are right that the next step is an endoscopy, which still is the "gold standard" in diagnosing celiac disease.   However, for various reasons the endoscopy is not done because financial contraints  or long wait times (up to a year!), or too ill to proceed.   You have two positives.  You only need one positive to move forward.    The TTg tests  do not need to be positive for a diagnosis (which requires a positive on an antibodies test which you had and an endoscopy).  My TTg tests were negative and I only had a positive on the DGP IGA, yet biopsies revealed a Marsh Stage IIIB (moderate to severe damage. http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/ Unless your PCP is a celiac expert (unlikely), I would insist on a GI consult.   Please find one who is celiac-savvy.   keep eating gluten daily until all testing is complete (biopsies done).  You never know if lab results are going to get lost.  Besides any celiac testing requires the patient to be on a gluten diet.  In the meantime, keep on researching.  Only YOU can be your best health advocate!  
    • I'm having some issues, that I didn't really even know I was having until the blood work showed them. Retracing my steps, I eat very strictly gluten free at home. I eat too much dairy (which is not only a problem for many celiacs, it is also not an anti-inflammatory). The husband and I have eaten out a lot over the last three years of my diagnosis. I guess I have not been overly cautious as I should have been, which I'm guessing could be my problems (although I am seeing the GI doctor tomorrow). So, I'm wondering if anyone here no longer eats out ever? Were you eating out and realized you were still doing yourself damage? 
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    adoreyou