This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free, Soy Free Soy Sauce?

BeckyW

BeckyW Contributor

Does anyone know if there is actually a gluten free, soy free substitute for soy sauce? I am really missing soy sauce on my stir fry! I tried a ginger sauce but that was just horrible. :unsure:

I appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pilgrim South Rookie
Does anyone know if there is actually a gluten free, soy free substitute for soy sauce? I am really missing soy sauce on my stir fry! I tried a ginger sauce but that was just horrible. :unsure:

Thanks!

This is not "soy free" but gluten free! Open Original Shared Link

happygirl Collaborator

I do not know of one offhand, but I swear I saw a posting of a recipe for a "mock" soy sauce recipe on this board at one point. Maybe someone remembers and can post the link?

Its hard, I know! Hopefully someone can help out. good luck!

jerseyangel Proficient

SOY SAUCE SUB

2 cups beef broth

2 tsp cider vinegar

1 tsp molassas

1/8 tsp ground ginger

dash of pepper/onoin powder/garlic powder

Combine all in saucepan. Boil until reduced to 1/2 cup. Store in fridge.

I can't take credit for the recipe--I found it here. I *think* possibly it was from Liz (lonewolf)?

kabowman Explorer

My whole family loved it and it tastes very close to the real deal.

BeckyW Contributor

Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to try it! :rolleyes:

tracey* Rookie

Is Tamari soy free? I know you can get wheat-free Tamari, but I'm not sure if it's totally soy free too

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...
suepooh4 Contributor

Thanks!

Hi

I just noticed your question about a gluten free soy sauce. Walmart (the ones that have the grocery store) carry gluten free soy sauce, its their brand (great vaule brand). Several of Walmart great vaule brands are gluten free, here are some we have tried. Bacon, lunch meat, spagetti sauce, alfredo sauce, parmesan cheese, and I'm sure there are more out there. The back of all of these items say gluten free.

seamaiden399 Newbie

Tamari is NOT soy free. It is sometimes (but not always) wheat/ gluten free.

• 2 years later...
meraza Newbie

way old thread...

4 words: South River Miso Company for chickpea tamari

jnclelland Contributor
way old thread...

4 words: South River Miso Company for chickpea tamari

Problem: the minimum order for shipping is $20, but they say there's a limit of one jar of chickpea tamari (at $8.50) per order - and all their other products seem to contain soy!! Dang it....

meraza Newbie
Problem: the minimum order for shipping is $20, but they say there's a limit of one jar of chickpea tamari (at $8.50) per order - and all their other products seem to contain soy!! Dang it....

actually, they make soy free miso from chickpeas and brown rice.

they do make some products w/ soy and some w/ barley though and i haven't inquired wrt cc yet

purple Community Regular

I found this recipe last year but I haven't tried it. Thought someone might be interested...if anyone tries it plz post your comments so others will know...thanks ;)

Open Original Shared Link

rghurtle Newbie

Great Value soy sauce at walmart is gluten-free.

Roda Rising Star

Here is another thread that had some ideas.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=59093

burdee Enthusiast
SOY SAUCE SUB

2 cups beef broth

2 tsp cider vinegar

1 tsp molassas

1/8 tsp ground ginger

dash of pepper/onoin powder/garlic powder

Combine all in saucepan. Boil until reduced to 1/2 cup. Store in fridge.

I can't take credit for the recipe--I found it here. I *think* possibly it was from Liz (lonewolf)?

Thanks for this recipe. I need to sub dark agave for molasses because I have cane sugar allergy. I'll also try a bit of garam masala instead of the last 2 ingredient. I'm anxious to try this on my next stir fry creation.

SUE

Ginsou Explorer

I'm also wheat/soy intolerant and jerseyangel has a really good substitute. Make sure your beef broth is gluten free!!!Kitchen Basics, Rachael Ray and Walmart GV are gluten free.I find balsamic vinegar adds a good flavor. Here is a recipe from About.com:Chinese Food. Make substitutions as needed.

Soy Sauce Substitute

2 Tablespoons beef broth (gluten-free)

1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar (I omit)

1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

2 teaspoons molasses

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder (I also add ginger)

black pepper to taste

1/4 cup boiling water

Preparation:

Combine all the ingredients. At this point, you can either use the sauce as is, leaving for an hour to give the flavors a chance to blend, or for a thicker, richer sauce, boil the liquid until it is reduced by half. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Use within 3-4 days.

Note: this recipe makes a very small amount, I increase the beef broth to 8 oz.,then add ingredients to taste. Because it contains vinegar, it keeps longer than 4 days in the frig.

Nancym Enthusiast

They have wheat-free Tamari in about every store I've been to. Tamari is virtually the same as soy sauce.

Ginsou Explorer

There is a gluten free Tamari sauce available.....but it contains soy. Tamari is made from soybeans....a soy intolerant person would have to use a mock recipe.

• 3 months later...
byebyegluten Newbie

Thanks!

I just posted a review of a great new product- Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos:

it's soy free and gluten free and tastes just like soy sauce!

purple Community Regular

I just posted a review of a great new product- Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos:

it's soy free and gluten free and tastes just like soy sauce!

Hey, thanks for the tip! We don't have a WF but I will watch for it elsewhere...we are not allergic to soy but I would like to try it!

Alphawave Rookie

Thanks!

Yes, you are in luck. There are two main soy sauce brands. The first, and best, is San-j What-free soy sauces. There are delicious, but a bit pricey. La Choy makes a wheat -free sauce, but it is not very tasty, IMMO. I buy the San-j at Whole Foods Market. You could buy online, if your stores don't carry them. There is also a low-salt wheat-free version San-k makes.

• 5 months later...
emsimm Newbie

Thanks!

YES!!! THERE IS!!!! I have Celiacs and am also soy intolerant and a vegetarian, so giving up my beloved soy sauce was killer!

However, my boyfriend recently found me a soy-free, gluten-free soy sauce substitute: Coconut Secret. I broke the stir-fry fast!

Coconut Secret is made with Coconut Aminos. Not sure how this will jive with some people's systems if they have a nut allergy. In any event, my gosh it's good. Less sodium than tamari, loaded with vitamins, slightly sweet flavor. You will not miss your soy sauce!!

Coconut Secret is sold at Whole Foods (maybe Wegman's, but I haven't looked) for about $6.00 a bottle. It's got essentially the same price tag as Tamari, but I can totally justify it if it means I get a nice bowl of rice with ginger, scallions, and some tasty Coconut Secret!!!

Emily Simmons

Philadelphia, PA

Archived