arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts On My Test Results And Symptoms?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PaulW

PaulW

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 04:02 PM

Hi, I'm looking for advice on what may be the proper interpretation of my test results and symptoms. Three antibody tests were performed on me: Antigliadin IgG was high at 25 units, whereas IgA for antigliadin and tissue transglutaminase were normal at 5 units. From the information I've browsed, it appears as though one interpretation is that in conjunction with the normal IgA tests, the high IgG test isn't diagnostic of proper celiac sprue, though it may instead be indicative other, non-celiac metabolic/immunological abnormalities I may have. On the other hand, I've come across information indicating that in some cases, celiac disease actually results in IgA deficiencies, in which case results like mine are exactly what would be expected. Are these both viable interpretations? Does one sound better than the other?

Additional information about my case: I don't have major, overt gastrointestinal symptoms, though probably an above average amount of GI distress. I have intermittent aching in my arms and legs, fatigue, and "brain fog" symptoms, which appear to result from multiple food/chemical sensitivities. Past experimental attempts I've made at gluten exclusion seem to have resulted in a decrease of abdominal cramping I otherwise have and a change in the character of my bowel movements, though not an overwhelming change in the more bothersome symptoms. Over the past year, I've been dabbling with an unconventional doctor who, with his tests, has found both malabsorption and leaky gut, as well as "detoxification abnormalities." So, one thought I have is that an inherent gluten intolerance may be behind all those symptoms and "alternative" test results, whereas on the other hand, I wonder if I may have other, non-celiac problems causing these symptoms, including perhaps some reactivity to gluten and elevated anti-gliadin IgG, but not proper celiac sprue.

I'll be grateful for any and all thoughts, thanks very much.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 judy04

judy04

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 06:53 PM

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure if I can help you but my IGA was elevated @74 but my
IGG was 16. I read somewhere that having 1 or more of these elevated
antibodies means that you are reacting to Gluten. It may be that you
don't have enough damage to cause both to rise. However, I had no
damage to the villi and a neg biopsy??? My GI doc said he can't prove
I have CS and he can't disprove it so for right now I have Gluten
Sensitivity.

Are you consuming dairy? After I stopped dairy my brain fog lifted
and after 9mos on this diet I am pain free. I think there needs to be
a lot more research on these diseases, I think we are seeing only
the tip of the iceberg. Good luck..
judy

gluten-free since 11/03, neg biopsy, IGA elevated

#3 GEF

GEF

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 05:05 AM

Paul,

I'm in the same boat as you. My IGG was 40 (positive), my IGA was 23 (I think that's borderline). Through all of my tests, the doctor is looking for something other than celiac, since my tests point mainly to the IGG's. There are other conditions, (intolerance included) that can cause an elevation in only the IGG's as well as I've heard that it can be elevated normally in some individuals. Best thing is to keep talking with your doctor about your symptoms and not give up. Better to error on the side of caution than to find something too late. I've read somewhere that "leaky gut" can result in higher levels of certain things, like IGG's to circulate in your blood. I also have high indirect bilirubin and I'm trying to find out why. Have they ruled out IBD for you?

Like you, if something bizzare shows up in my tests, I want to know why. If you're symptomatic, knowing why is important. Good luck to you.

Gretchen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: