This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Have Any Feedback?

Turtle

Turtle Enthusiast

If something has hops in it is that unsafe?

What about licorice? Is it safe?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

I don't know much about beer. I know beer (in general) is not safe for Celiacs, but I don't know if its the hops or what the process/ingredients there is that make it not safe. I'm sure a beer lover on here will know.

Licorice-Like with most processed foods, it depends on the brand. Post ingredients and we'll help out. I am not a big licorice eater, but I'm sure there has to be a safe one out there! Plus, with halloween coming up, I'm sure they'll be many discussions on safe candy!

good luck!

lovegrov Collaborator

Hops alone would not make a product unsafe.

Licorice candy almost always has wheat, although there are a couple that don't. If you mean licorice as an ingredient, I can't say.

richard

CarlaB Enthusiast

Depends on the licorice. like Richard said, most of the candy has wheat. I drink licorice tea made with licorice root, and it's fine.

In beer, it's not the hops that has gluten, it's the barley, or wheat and barley if it's wheat beer. There are gluten-free beers available.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I imagine there's also a big difference in the ingredients for that fake licorice junk candy, and the real thing. They sure taste different too.

Nancym Enthusiast

Hops is a vine, they use the flower for making beer (and they use hops in some sleep supplements too). It's a very pretty vine, I might grow some!

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

I dont' know what the hops question is about, and I don't know if you're a beer drinker.

But I'm working on getting New Grist into Bar None. I've never been much of a beer drinker myself, but once it was taken away from me it started to sound really good.

Also, a friend of mine bought me some fancy licorace - Trader Joe's, I think. And the first ingredient on it was wheat. So that was sad.

-Courtney

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sheinly Newbie

My husband just found out he may have celiac and he is a big beer drinker. So if anyone can give me the name of the gluten free beers that would be great.

Turtle Enthusiast

Okay...I first want to apologize for not being clearer about my post/question. :huh: OOPS!!

When I asked about Hops and Licorice I was asking more specifically about products that have these ingredients in them such as shampoos, lotions, etc. I wrote that post this morning and i'm going on about 3 hours of sleep so no wonder it made no sense. HA!

As for beer...I like New Grist...

Courtney: COOL trying to get it into Bar None! I haven't been able to find any gluten-free beer here and therefore, travel out of state to get it. (Shhh don't turn me in for smuggling it in, haha). Last I talked to Earthfare here(which has been a few months) they said they would likely get some Bard's Tale at some point, but that New Grist would not be on the shelves b/c of the alcohol content???? Okay...whatever! I haven't pressed the issue b/c i've been satisfied just picking it up when i'm in our neighboring state...

Nancym Enthusiast

Hops and Licorice don't contain gluten. However, that doesn't mean that the shampoo doesn't also contain gluten. Does that answer your question?

Turtle Enthusiast

YES!

Thanks Nancym.

I've been checking out some face, hair, etc. products and some of them have Hops and/or Licorice in them.

• 1 year later...
Swimmy Rookie
My husband just found out he may have celiac and he is a big beer drinker. So if anyone can give me the name of the gluten free beers that would be great.

RedBridge beer is gluten free and sold pretty universally (atleast in New England).

Juliebove Rising Star

I know of three kinds of licorice that is gluten-free. Running Rabbit, Candy Tree and Orgran. Of the three, the Running Rabbit can seem a bit strange if you get any of the "red" flavors. Unlike something like Twizzlers or Red Vines, it is not just a fruit flavor. It is fruit plus licorice.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

I'm not much of a beer drinker, but I tried Bards Tale at a Celiac conference. To me, it tastes like every other beer I've ever had. So, I guess that's a good thing. =)

Licorice ROOT is gluten free. However, licorice candy- as already stated- usually is not.

• 2 months later...
rick-spiff Rookie

Redbridge Beer is availible at Fred Meyers

made from Sorghum

Archived