28 replies to this topic

#1 NicoleAJ

NicoleAJ

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:34 AM

I've actually seen quite a few of you mention making gluten free meatballs. Would you mind posting a recipe? What type of breadcrumbs do you use, and how do you season them? Thanks so much.
Diagnosed July 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 02:19 PM

It's all a matter of taste, but here's what I use: one pound of hamburger, one egg to glue it all together, salt, parsley, dry gluten-free breadcrumbs (I make loaves of bread, then cut into cubes, dry at 250 in the oven until crunchy, then pulverize in food processor and freeze just in case they're not dry enough to avoid mold) - I'm not sure the amount, but the more you have, the more tender your meatballs can be. Try 1 cup or a couple of handfuls. Then, the best part, lots and lots of minced garlic. Fresh is best, but a lot of work, so a few teaspoons from a jar works as well. Mix well with your hands, and if it seems stiff add some warm water, just a little at a time. The breadcrumbs will soak up the water, which is why I said more of them might give you more tender meatballs. Less water gives you tougher meatballs, but too much makes them mushy inside. When well mixed, roll into balls, no more than 2" in diameter. Fry in olive oil, turning as each side browns, until cooked through and crisp. They are best right out of the pan, but you can also freeze them - make 2 or 3 pounds' worth on a weekend, then bring them out of the freezer on a busy weeknight.

Some alternates: if you have time, you can drop raw meatballs into sauce and simmer all day to cook. Or drop the cooked ones in for a few hours - they get a wonderful texture but lose the crunchy outside. And my Italian father tells me that you don't need breadcrumbs - you can substitute leftover cooked rice or other leftovers. You could also use crushed cereal. I have also used oatmeal (in my pre-diagnosis days) and rehydrated textured soy protein crumbles and my family didn't notice. You could also use turkey or any other ground meat, or add bulk sausage. Meatloaf is basically the same recipe except using onion instead of garlic and making a loaf instead of balls.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#3 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:53 PM

I make my own breadcrumbs. I take gluten free bread, leave it out to get hard, crumbly it up in a food processor. Then I had some salt, garlic and oregano, mix it up and voila! breadcrumbs.

Then for the meatballs I just take chopped meat, salt, pepper, garlic, eggs and add in my bread crumbs.

I usually pour some pasta sauce over them and let them sit in it as they bake in the oven.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#4 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:09 PM

I use dried potato flakes or rice (cooked) instead of bread crumbs. I just substitute cup-for cup in regular recipes. Once when I didn't have enough potato flakes, I threw in some corn meal, and it still tasted good.

#5 skoki_mom

skoki_mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:40 PM

I've actually seen quite a few of you mention making gluten free meatballs. Would you mind posting a recipe? What type of breadcrumbs do you use, and how do you season them? Thanks so much.

I leave the breadcrumbs out entirely. So far, no problems with them sticking together. I use lean ground beef.
LORI

Dx celiac disease Aug 25/05, ate KFC that night and gluten-free ever since

#6 clbevilacqua

clbevilacqua

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

Funny you put this post in today-I just made meatballs. I don't like "mushy" meat so I use crushed gluten free corn flakes instead of breadcrumbs. I also use fennel seed to season mine, along with parsley, salt, pepper, garlic & onion. If this sounds like something you are interested in PM me and I'll give you the recipe!

#7 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:53 PM

I usually use crispy rice cereal instead of breadcrumbs. When I make Swedish meatballs I use Ener-G Light tapioca bread crumbled up while it's still soft.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#8 NicoleAJ

NicoleAJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:40 AM

Wow, these recipes all sound delicious. I'm definitely going to have to try one of these varieties this week. I haven't had a meatball since my diagnosis over two years ago. I can't wait! I've never thought of fennel seed in a meatball, but I'm sure it's delicious.
Diagnosed July 2004

#9 hannahsue01

hannahsue01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:48 PM

We don't use any fillers...no bread crumbs, crackers, or cereal. All they do anyways is soak up the grease we shouldn't be consuming anyways.
Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

#10 prinsessa

prinsessa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:58 AM

I use gluten free bread crumbs that I bought from Whole foods. I think it is just brown rice ground into a powder. I use about the same amount I used to use of regular bread crumbs. I also use the gluten free bread crumbs to make fried chicken breasts. I just blend some eggs in the blender with a little onion and garlic (and salt). I let the chicken breasts soak in this mixture for about 15 mins (thin chicken breasts are the best). Then I dip the chicken breasts in the bread crumbs and then fry in a pan. We don't eat too many fried foods, so this is a treat for my kids.

I forgot to add that I ususally use ground turkey breast instead of ground beef for my meatballs. I think it actually tastes better than beef.

#11 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

I also use cooked rice for the filler. It works great.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#12 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:00 PM

I use Potato Buds. :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#13 NicoleAJ

NicoleAJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:20 PM

I'd never really heard of using potato buds or cooked rice as filler, but it makes sense that they would work. Is there a specific brand of potato buds that are gluten free--I've never really used these in cooking before (even though I noticed that Betty Hagman's recipes often call for potato buds).
Diagnosed July 2004

#14 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:06 PM

I'd never really heard of using potato buds or cooked rice as filler, but it makes sense that they would work. Is there a specific brand of potato buds that are gluten free--I've never really used these in cooking before (even though I noticed that Betty Hagman's recipes often call for potato buds).

I use the Betty Crocker product called "Potato Buds" :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#15 rlemmon

rlemmon

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:13 PM

Hi. here is a recipie i posted awhile back. There pretty good. I make a double batch and freeze half of them.

homemade meatballs and sauce.

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup kraft Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup dried parsley
1 egg
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper.
dash of italian seasoning.

PREHEAT oven to 375°F. Mix meat, cheese, parsley, egg and spices.
SHAPE into 12 meatballs. BAKE 25 minutes or until cooked through.

Italian speghettie sauce.

1 Jar delgrosso traditional spaghetti sauce
1/4 C. parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp Italian seasoning

mix, cook and eat ( :

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: