This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac And Food Allergies

AmyTopolski

AmyTopolski Apprentice

Hi,

My toddler who was recently diagnost was doing great on her gluten free diet. A couple of weeks later I noticed every couple of days she would have tummy troubles again. I figured out that whenever she has scrambled eggs, within 1-2 hours she is sick. She is also lactose intolleract since birth. I'm just wondering if food allergies are common. We are waiting to find out if her pediatrician wants her to see and allergist. Just wondering what others are doing.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
Hi,

My toddler who was recently diagnost was doing great on her gluten free diet. A couple of weeks later I noticed every couple of days she would have tummy troubles again. I figured out that whenever she has scrambled eggs, within 1-2 hours she is sick. She is also lactose intolleract since birth. I'm just wondering if food allergies are common. We are waiting to find out if her pediatrician wants her to see and allergist. Just wondering what others are doing.

Thanks

Yes it appears to be very common. For example, my 3yr old son is allergic to eggs in addtion to having celiac disease.

tiffjake Enthusiast
Hi,

Thanks

From what I have read, it is VERY common to have multiple food allergies/intolerances if you have ONE. I have celiac disease and other "intolerances" that give me headaches or stomach pains. I think you are going the right route seeing the allergist. But keep in mind that sometimes you just have to watch the reaction after she eats certian foods. Some things will not show up in the allergy test, but will still upset the stomach if she eats it. In that case, you can just avoid it for a little while and try to re-introduce it later. Just a thought. Hope she feels better soon!

shayesmom Rookie
Hi,

Thanks

My dd also has several food intolerances besides gluten....namely any form of dairy, soy, eggs and food colorings...yellow dye #5 to be precise. I've also found that we do better if I limit the refined sugar and citrus as both will exacerbate her allergies. Corn is suprisingly okay, but at this point, we try to keep rotating foods so that new allergies don't develop. Dd only tested positive to whey and egg whites....all the rest we discovered through an elimination diet. The only "testing" that we found to be accurate was a test performed by an acupressurist. Those crazy tests were DEAD ON and found some allergens we had been struggling to pinpoint for months. The best part was that the testing was totally non-invasive and dd actually enjoyed it (it involves muscle testing while holding an allergen that is in a glass vial). We were skeptical at first, but truly, it was much more helpful than any blood test we had done. Bizarre, but helpful. lol!

wonkabar Contributor
I'm just wondering if food allergies are common. We are waiting to find out if her pediatrician wants her to see and allergist. Just wondering what others are doing.

Thanks

Hi! I would say *yes*, food allergies are definitely common. My son is allergic to peanuts, egg whites and tomatoes. He also has eczema and seasonal allergies in addition to all of the issues with gluten. MANY people on this forum have additional food allergies/intolerances.

Mamato2boys Contributor

Yup - my son is gluten sensitive, and allergic to eggs, milk, soy, cats, and dogs. The testing he's had didn't show an allergy to soy, but he reacts to it. It also showed him to be sensitive to peanuts, but he's never had a problem with those or any other nut. He was also recently "cleared" by his allergist and his pediatrician, but he still reacts to milk. He won't touch eggs with a ten foot pole - I think he knows they make him sick (he's 2).

Guest alex j

I think the incidence of food allergies in children is something like 5% - that's pretty common.

As well as having celiac, my son is allergic to fish, nuts, eggs, and legumes - aka peas and beans (and used to be allergic to much more). Though supposedly, statistically it's more common to have only one or two allergies.

Alex

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Eeyorific Rookie

Just want to chime in here and say, like everyone elese... YES, it's very common. my 4 yr old celiac son, is also allergic to casein/dairy and all forms of corn! :( So far with dd and myself who are gluten intolerant are free from other allergies, except dd is allergic to chocolate, but has been all along.

aprilh Apprentice

It is very common as you will see here on this site. ONce your body goes into that allergic reaction mode - other intolerances pop up. These may or may not get better once her gut heals. It depends. Best thing is to go without the eggs for 2-3 weeks and then re-introduce (if you are not sure) once more. If it happens again you know its eggs. That's a hard one! Since a lot of recipes need eggs. Are there any alternatives out there?

Noah Mc Newbie

My daughter was diagnosed at 2 years old. At that time she was forming DH and what seemed like every food allergy short of nut that there was. After we got her gluten-free, we noticed her skin clearing up and as she healed, she was able to eat any gluten-free food she wanted. I would agree with aprilh that sometimes it jsut takes time for the body to heal and there may be a chance that your kiddo could overcome the other reactions to foods. That's not always the case though. Good luck!

Archived