This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Manicotti Or Jumbo Shells

IsAMom

IsAMom Apprentice

I feel there are so many things I can duplicate gluten free (pizza, spagetti, cookies, etc.), but I'm craving stuffed manicotti or jumbo shells like nothing else. Do you think there is anyway to convice Tinkyada to manufacture one or both of these items?

Anyone know of a subsitute?

Annette in MN

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Asian rice paper wrappers!

VydorScope Proficient
I feel there are so many things I can duplicate gluten free (pizza, spagetti, cookies, etc.), but I'm craving stuffed manicotti or jumbo shells like nothing else. Do you think there is anyway to convice Tinkyada to manufacture one or both of these items?

Annette in MN

I dunno, but if you come up with a way let me know!

Felidae Enthusiast

Tinkyada makes jumbo shells! I saw them at a specialty gluten-free store I go to.

RiceGuy Collaborator
Tinkyada makes jumbo shells! I saw them at a specialty gluten-free store I go to.

Yes, according to their website, they do make large shells, and their Open Original Shared Link shows them stuffed.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Annette in MN

I've gotten the Tinkyada jumbo shells (and lasagna noodles) many times. I either get them at Whole Foods or Mrs. Greens.

Guest nini

I have some of the jumbo shells... now I just need a recipe to cook em!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
I have some of the jumbo shells... now I just need a recipe to cook em!

Send them to me, and I will figure somthing out:D

But I bet its not hard to figure out. I would probably use Ricotta chesee to stuff, some sauce and tose in the oven till done. :)

Guhlia Rising Star

This is a recipe off of Barilla's site for cheese and spinach stuffed shells. It looks pretty good.

1/2 box BARILLA Jumbo Shells (approx. 20)

1 tbsp.extra virgin olive oil

2 bacon slices, chopped

1 cup chopped onion

1 (10 oz.) bag fresh baby spinach, trimmed

3 cups ricotta cheese

1/2 tsp.salt

1/8 tsp.freshly ground black pepper

1 (26 oz.) jar BARILLA Italian Baking Sauce

1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese

PREHEAT oven to 350ºF.

COOK Jumbo Shells according to package directions; drain. Cover and set aside.

HEAT oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and onion; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add spinach and stir until wilted. Remove from heat; stir in ricotta cheese, salt and pepper.

RESERVE 1 cup of Italian Baking Sauce; pour remainder into 13x9-inch baking dish. Fill shells with spinach mixture; place in dish. Pour remaining Sauce over Jumbo Shells; cover with foil.

BAKE for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with Parmigiano cheese; broil 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned.

Tip: Add 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg with seasonings.

lpellegr Collaborator

My grandmother's meat stuffing for stuffed shells:

Saute chopped onion and minced garlic until soft, add 1 lb ground beef and 1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage and cook until browned. Season with basil and oregano and salt. Drain off the fat.

Add: 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese

1/2 bread crumbs (either gluten-free or skip it)

1c spaghetti sauce, your favorite

Mix well, fill the cooked shells. Cover the bottom of a large baking pan with sauce and lay the shells on top of the sauce. Cover with more sauce, sprinkle with grated parmesan, bake at 350 for 40 minutes. This fills a lot of shells. Eat some, freeze the rest. This usually takes a 32oz jar of sauce.

Cheese filling, probably not much different from what's already posted:

2lb ricotta cheese

1/2lb shredded mozzarella

1/2c parmesan

2 eggs

parsley

salt and pepper

Stuff shells and bake as above. Mmmmmmmm. Now I've made myself crave these. I'll have to go find a store in my area that sells Tinkyada shells or roll this up in their lasagna.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I make something similar in flavor, but without the difficulty of rolling:

I mix the meat sauce with gluten-free elbows (Tinkyada) and then layer it in a 9x13 pan with a 15-oz container of ricotta mixed with 1/2 cup parmesan, 2 eggs, pepper, and parsley (the parmesan is so salty, I skip the salt). Top with mozzarella and parmesan and bake!

Same flavor as the stuffed shells and/or lasagna , but a bit easier.

debmidge Rising Star

now this begs the question, which ricotta's are gluten-free - are mostly all gluten-free?

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I have purchased the Jumbo shells from Tinkyada and made cheese stuffed shells. They were so good. I even passed them off to my gluten-consuming coworkers who really didn't know the difference. I stocked up over the weekend on Tinkyada pasta, Wegmans had a sale on it. Much cheapier than what I have to pay in my gluten-free stores. A bag of penne was 2.15!!!

key Contributor

I was wondering the same thing. Which ricotta is gluten free? I guess maybe all, but I saw that at least one had vinegar. It didn't say distilled vinegar. Does anybody know?

Monica

RiceGuy Collaborator
I was wondering the same thing. Which ricotta is gluten free? I guess maybe all, but I saw that at least one had vinegar. It didn't say distilled vinegar. Does anybody know?

Monica

A quick Google revealed Open Original Shared Link ricotta is gluten-free. Also in Open Original Shared Link it lists Saputo, and Bari & Stella Whey Ricotta cheeses are gluten-free. I'm certain a number of others are also.

LindsayM Newbie
A quick Google revealed Open Original Shared Link ricotta is gluten-free. Also in Open Original Shared Link it lists Saputo, and Bari & Stella Whey Ricotta cheeses are gluten-free. I'm certain a number of others are also.

i also know that Polly-O ricotta is gluten free...

does anyone know if Axelrod Ricotta is gluten free? i have searched the web and cant seem to find any info on it.. i bought it at whole foods but am scared to eat it! anyone?

Archived