34 replies to this topic

#1 mona_norton

mona_norton

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:19 AM

looking for suggestions on detergents for laundering, shampoos, and soaps. my husband has DH and i don't know what to look for as far as chemicals and additives in these items. did purchase dove shampoo.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:36 AM

Palmolive dish soap is gluten-free, dove hand soap and shampoo....I will have to look up some laundry soap, back soon.

Palmolive dish soap is gluten-free, dove hand soap and shampoo....I will have to look up some laundry soap, back soon.

Ajax and Gain Deterg. - gluten-free

There are others, but these are the ones on the new Delfi Product List for 2006. Hope this can get you started. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:56 AM

looking for suggestions on detergents for laundering, shampoos, and soaps. my husband has DH and i don't know what to look for as far as chemicals and additives in these items. did purchase dove shampoo.

Hi Mona--welcome to the board! :)

Dove will clearly list any gluten, so you're ok there. In addition to gluten-free products, I also choose products without SLS or other harsh detergents whenever possible. I don't have DH, but I do get itching and eczema.

Some good products to look for--ShiKai Shampoo and Conditioner, Kiss My Face Olive Oil Bar Soap, Jason Showersilk Liquid shower soap--those are free of SLS.

Other brands that are gluten-free--Softsoap, Purex Free and Clear (and regular) laundry detergent, All Free and Clear (and regular) laundry detergent.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 mona_norton

mona_norton

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:42 PM

Ajax and Gain Deterg. - gluten-free
There are others, but these are the ones on the new Delfi Product List for 2006. Hope this can get you started. :)

Thank you so much for ur response. It will be very helpful

Hi Mona--welcome to the board! :)

Dove will clearly list any gluten, so you're ok there. In addition to gluten-free products, I also choose products without SLS or other harsh detergents whenever possible. I don't have DH, but I do get itching and eczema.

Some good products to look for--ShiKai Shampoo and Conditioner, Kiss My Face Olive Oil Bar Soap, Jason Showersilk Liquid shower soap--those are free of SLS.

Other brands that are gluten-free--Softsoap, Purex Free and Clear (and regular) laundry detergent, All Free and Clear (and regular) laundry detergent.

what is the delfi list. And also can you tell me what to look for as far as the chemicals that may contain gluten. I read my dawn bottle and nothing was obvious as far as gluten goes.

#5 Guest_Kathy Ann_*

Guest_Kathy Ann_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:02 PM

:)

#6 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:20 PM

I use alot of Dove and Herbal Essences shampoos. 7th Generation products are more natural and all of theirs are gluten free
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#7 Helena

Helena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:11 AM

I just called Clairol yesterday to see if Herbal Essences is safe----they tell me that they do not add gluten, but that they cannot trace the ingredients in their fragrances (which *might* contain gluten). This sounds like a CYA statement, but I did a search on this board, and one person reports reacting to Herbal Essences (I found a total of two references to this product)

Do people trust Clairol?
positive tTG and antigliadin blood tests for celiac (summer 2006)
positive dietary response

environmental and food allergies.

#8 Leslie-FL

Leslie-FL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:57 AM

I just called Clairol yesterday to see if Herbal Essences is safe----they tell me that they do not add gluten, but that they cannot trace the ingredients in their fragrances (which *might* contain gluten). This sounds like a CYA statement, but I did a search on this board, and one person reports reacting to Herbal Essences (I found a total of two references to this product)

Do people trust Clairol?

I'm resurrecting a very old thread here - I was doing a search to find out if my laundry detergent was gluten free.

To answer someone's Clairol question (though I'm sure it probably has been in another thread since this one), I use Nice & Easy Gray Solutions hair color, and I suspect the conditioner that comes with it is not gluten free. I still use the hair color because I haven't found one that covers gray as well, but I'm very careful and I shampoo it out of my hair, then use my own conditioner.

Is there a list somewhere of brands of laundry detergents, fabric softeners, and dryer sheets that are gluten free?

I found another old thread in a search to find out what items in my kitchen I need to get rid of (teflon cookware, plastic cutting board, etc. - I apparently missed a lot of things when I went gluten free a year ago, and I'm still having occasional "mystery glutenings" that I'm trying to avoid). The thread had some really helpful information that might be good for newly gluten-free people to see: http://www.glutenfre...?showtopic=2011

It mentioned that non-gluten free laundry detergent leaves residue on kitchen towels, which transfers to dishes. If I've been using a non-gluten free dish detergent, does anyone know whether rewashing all my kitchen towels in gluten-free dish detergent is enough to remove the residue? It's going to be a bit of an expense to replace my pots and pans and some other items - I hope I don't have to replace towels right now, too. :o
Gluten-free since April 2007.
Also dealing with Fibromyalgia, Depression, PCOS, PMDD, and Menopause, but otherwise extremely healthy. :)
Found out I have Adult ADD in January 2009.

#9 RoseTapper

RoseTapper

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:51 PM

I use a shampoo and creme rinse from the Dessert Essence Organics line--it actually states "gluten free" on these products.

#10 brizzo

brizzo

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:14 PM

I know that there is a lot of people on here who will scream at me for saying this but here goes...

Unless you are eating the soap/shampoo/ect.. You can use whatever you want. DH is caused by antibodies getting attached to gluten proteins in the bloodstream via the digestive track (vie eating/drinking). After these antibodies attach themselves to the gluten protein, this "attachment" gets trapped in the smaller capillaries in the body (just below the skin surface. Thus, causing a herpetiformis rash.

The gluten protein MUST enter the bloodstream to cause this reaction. There are only 2 ways that this will happen!
1. put gluten into your stomach.
2. have a cut on your skin, and rub/pour/insert the gluten protein into it.

Unless you are dealing with open head wounds/ or skin tears on the body. The type of shampoo you use should not exacerbate any DH symptoms.

If you need some peer reviewed journals/studies on this topic. I will be happy to provide for you. Just send me an e-mail

Good Luck. Brizzo

#11 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:08 AM

You could not worry about it and use what you want...and hope for the best....or be certain and use things like Dove products. Burts Bees has A LOT of gluten-free products that I like.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#12 slmprofesseur

slmprofesseur

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:12 AM

Another laundry detergent to consider is Biokleen. It's plant based (vs Gain and others which are petroleum based). It is gluten free has soda ash, and other plant based items. It is ok to use unless you have citrus sensitivity.

I love Kiss My Face. It's the only lotion that doesn't make me itch. I use the olive oil and aloe.

As for shampoo/conditioner--- I just checked a few that I didn't like (i.e. itchy scalp afterwards- breakage problems) Motions, Softsheen Carson. I am totally disgusted. They were causing my hair to fall out! I quit using them and noticed less shedding. They all list "hydrolyzed wheat protein". Now mind you these are all "ethnic" products. I can't believe I missed that one!

I am taking some time to learn the lesson of "always read your labels"!
Knitting is a gluten free hobby!

#13 Softballer7

Softballer7

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:59 AM

Pure castile soap is usable for anything!!! Dishes, hair, body, not sure about laundry but I use Arm & Hammer. But let me tell you castile soap also smells great. Hope this helps!=]

#14 ohsotired

ohsotired

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:37 AM

You can also use pure castille soap for laundry (liquid form) in a regular washing machine - not sure about front loaders though. I need to look into that.......

You can also use it for cleaning - does a pretty decent job on soap scum!

Plus, it's all natural inredients.
Dx Celiac 08/22/08
Iron Deficient Anemia / Blood Clotting Disorder / Severe Vit D Deficiency / Low Cortisol / Progesterone/Testosterone Deficient

Persisting Sx: bouts of extreme fatigue, dry itchy skin, dry gritty eyes, bouts of brain fog and terrible short term memory, hair loss, hypoglycemic tendencies, low body temps, low BP, cold hands and feet

UPDATE: Began BHRT 9/22/10 and it made a world of difference, for about 2 weeks. Hair loss stopped almost completely, energy levels way up and felt 19 again! Going back for a booster this week....

#15 RoseTapper

RoseTapper

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:38 AM

brizzo,

I won't scream at you, but I do question your opinion on this matter. I started having a DH problem after being gluten free for over three years. After three months of sheer torture with my face covered with blisters, I finally contacted several gluten intolerance associations for help. They each advised me to check whether my shampoos, conditioners, makeups, detergents, etc., contained gluten. Lo and behold, the shampoo I'd been using for the past three months listed wheat germ in it. After discontinuing use of the shampoo, the DH resolved itself. And, no, I didn't ingest any shampoo....just in case you're thinking that. Of course, it's possible that it touched my lips, but it should have rinsed off just fine. That said, isn't gluten simply a nutrient like any other? I use a number of transdermal nutrient products because I have empaired ability to absorb fat-soluble vitamins. Since THEY are able to reach the cellular level, it makes sense that gluten does, too. However, without studies on this particular matter, there's a lot of misinformation--in my opinion--so I have to go with my own personal experiences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: