This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Shampoos Detergents And Soap

mona-norton

mona-norton Newbie

looking for suggestions on detergents for laundering, shampoos, and soaps. my husband has DH and i don't know what to look for as far as chemicals and additives in these items. did purchase dove shampoo.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Palmolive dish soap is gluten-free, dove hand soap and shampoo....I will have to look up some laundry soap, back soon.

Palmolive dish soap is gluten-free, dove hand soap and shampoo....I will have to look up some laundry soap, back soon.

Ajax and Gain Deterg. - gluten-free

There are others, but these are the ones on the new Delfi Product List for 2006. Hope this can get you started. :)

jerseyangel Proficient
looking for suggestions on detergents for laundering, shampoos, and soaps. my husband has DH and i don't know what to look for as far as chemicals and additives in these items. did purchase dove shampoo.

Hi Mona--welcome to the board! :)

Dove will clearly list any gluten, so you're ok there. In addition to gluten-free products, I also choose products without SLS or other harsh detergents whenever possible. I don't have DH, but I do get itching and eczema.

Some good products to look for--ShiKai Shampoo and Conditioner, Kiss My Face Olive Oil Bar Soap, Jason Showersilk Liquid shower soap--those are free of SLS.

Other brands that are gluten-free--Softsoap, Purex Free and Clear (and regular) laundry detergent, All Free and Clear (and regular) laundry detergent.

mona-norton Newbie

Ajax and Gain Deterg. - gluten-free

There are others, but these are the ones on the new Delfi Product List for 2006. Hope this can get you started. :)

Thank you so much for ur response. It will be very helpful

Hi Mona--welcome to the board! :)

Dove will clearly list any gluten, so you're ok there. In addition to gluten-free products, I also choose products without SLS or other harsh detergents whenever possible. I don't have DH, but I do get itching and eczema.

Some good products to look for--ShiKai Shampoo and Conditioner, Kiss My Face Olive Oil Bar Soap, Jason Showersilk Liquid shower soap--those are free of SLS.

Other brands that are gluten-free--Softsoap, Purex Free and Clear (and regular) laundry detergent, All Free and Clear (and regular) laundry detergent.

what is the delfi list. And also can you tell me what to look for as far as the chemicals that may contain gluten. I read my dawn bottle and nothing was obvious as far as gluten goes.
Guest Kathy Ann
:)
KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I use alot of Dove and Herbal Essences shampoos. 7th Generation products are more natural and all of theirs are gluten free

• 4 weeks later...
Helena Contributor

I just called Clairol yesterday to see if Herbal Essences is safe----they tell me that they do not add gluten, but that they cannot trace the ingredients in their fragrances (which *might* contain gluten). This sounds like a CYA statement, but I did a search on this board, and one person reports reacting to Herbal Essences (I found a total of two references to this product)

Do people trust Clairol?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
Leslie-FL Rookie
I just called Clairol yesterday to see if Herbal Essences is safe----they tell me that they do not add gluten, but that they cannot trace the ingredients in their fragrances (which *might* contain gluten). This sounds like a CYA statement, but I did a search on this board, and one person reports reacting to Herbal Essences (I found a total of two references to this product)

Do people trust Clairol?

I'm resurrecting a very old thread here - I was doing a search to find out if my laundry detergent was gluten free.

To answer someone's Clairol question (though I'm sure it probably has been in another thread since this one), I use Nice & Easy Gray Solutions hair color, and I suspect the conditioner that comes with it is not gluten free. I still use the hair color because I haven't found one that covers gray as well, but I'm very careful and I shampoo it out of my hair, then use my own conditioner.

Is there a list somewhere of brands of laundry detergents, fabric softeners, and dryer sheets that are gluten free?

I found another old thread in a search to find out what items in my kitchen I need to get rid of (teflon cookware, plastic cutting board, etc. - I apparently missed a lot of things when I went gluten free a year ago, and I'm still having occasional "mystery glutenings" that I'm trying to avoid). The thread had some really helpful information that might be good for newly gluten-free people to see: Open Original Shared Link

It mentioned that non-gluten free laundry detergent leaves residue on kitchen towels, which transfers to dishes. If I've been using a non-gluten free dish detergent, does anyone know whether rewashing all my kitchen towels in gluten-free dish detergent is enough to remove the residue? It's going to be a bit of an expense to replace my pots and pans and some other items - I hope I don't have to replace towels right now, too. :o

RoseTapper Newbie

I use a shampoo and creme rinse from the Dessert Essence Organics line--it actually states "gluten free" on these products.

• 3 weeks later...
brizzo Contributor

I know that there is a lot of people on here who will scream at me for saying this but here goes...

Unless you are eating the soap/shampoo/ect.. You can use whatever you want. DH is caused by antibodies getting attached to gluten proteins in the bloodstream via the digestive track (vie eating/drinking). After these antibodies attach themselves to the gluten protein, this "attachment" gets trapped in the smaller capillaries in the body (just below the skin surface. Thus, causing a herpetiformis rash.

The gluten protein MUST enter the bloodstream to cause this reaction. There are only 2 ways that this will happen!

1. put gluten into your stomach.

2. have a cut on your skin, and rub/pour/insert the gluten protein into it.

Unless you are dealing with open head wounds/ or skin tears on the body. The type of shampoo you use should not exacerbate any DH symptoms.

If you need some peer reviewed journals/studies on this topic. I will be happy to provide for you. Just send me an e-mail

Good Luck. Brizzo

ShayFL Enthusiast

You could not worry about it and use what you want...and hope for the best....or be certain and use things like Dove products. Burts Bees has A LOT of gluten-free products that I like.

slmprofesseur Apprentice

Another laundry detergent to consider is Biokleen. It's plant based (vs Gain and others which are petroleum based). It is gluten free has soda ash, and other plant based items. It is ok to use unless you have citrus sensitivity.

I love Kiss My Face. It's the only lotion that doesn't make me itch. I use the olive oil and aloe.

As for shampoo/conditioner--- I just checked a few that I didn't like (i.e. itchy scalp afterwards- breakage problems) Motions, Softsheen Carson. I am totally disgusted. They were causing my hair to fall out! I quit using them and noticed less shedding. They all list "hydrolyzed wheat protein". Now mind you these are all "ethnic" products. I can't believe I missed that one!

I am taking some time to learn the lesson of "always read your labels"!

Softballer7 Newbie

Pure castile soap is usable for anything!!! Dishes, hair, body, not sure about laundry but I use Arm & Hammer. But let me tell you castile soap also smells great. Hope this helps!=]

ohsotired Enthusiast

You can also use pure castille soap for laundry (liquid form) in a regular washing machine - not sure about front loaders though. I need to look into that.......

You can also use it for cleaning - does a pretty decent job on soap scum!

Plus, it's all natural inredients.

RoseTapper Newbie

brizzo,

I won't scream at you, but I do question your opinion on this matter. I started having a DH problem after being gluten free for over three years. After three months of sheer torture with my face covered with blisters, I finally contacted several gluten intolerance associations for help. They each advised me to check whether my shampoos, conditioners, makeups, detergents, etc., contained gluten. Lo and behold, the shampoo I'd been using for the past three months listed wheat germ in it. After discontinuing use of the shampoo, the DH resolved itself. And, no, I didn't ingest any shampoo....just in case you're thinking that. Of course, it's possible that it touched my lips, but it should have rinsed off just fine. That said, isn't gluten simply a nutrient like any other? I use a number of transdermal nutrient products because I have empaired ability to absorb fat-soluble vitamins. Since THEY are able to reach the cellular level, it makes sense that gluten does, too. However, without studies on this particular matter, there's a lot of misinformation--in my opinion--so I have to go with my own personal experiences.

hippiegirl2001 Newbie

The suggestion on castile soap sounded good! It sounds as if you can use it for anything (laundry, bath, cleaning...) I saw 2 yesterday, one with Lavender, one with Peppermint. This was at Walgreens. I don't remember the ounces but it was large, for $14.99, and of course you dilute it so it probably last quite awhile. I think it was called Dr. Bonners.

I did buy a gluten free shampoo there at Walgreens, it is their brand. It is called Clean & Natural. Fragrance Free (no masking fragrance), no formaldehyde, parabens, lanolin, protein or dyes. States it is Gluten-free, alcohol-free and 100% vegan. Not tested on animals.

• 2 weeks later...
west coast natural Newbie

Just wanted to mention Mayo Clinic research indicates gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin, or cause DH through topical applications (it must be ingested to cause DH according to them) :) . Here is a link to the Mayo Clinic research on this topic for those who may be interested:

Open Original Shared Link

RoseTapper Newbie

west coast natural,

Yes, this is the predominant thinking on the matter, but, again, no studies are cited. I think that it might be possible for gluten to be absorbed into the skin if it is part of a product that also contains squalane or some other oil that encourages absorption. With so many people who can attest to developing DH after using a product that contains gluten, it peeves me that the medical profession has not studied this matter more closely. People's experiences simply don't support the "official" medical stance that topically applied gluten can cause DH.

hippiegirl2001 Newbie
The suggestion on castile soap sounded good! It sounds as if you can use it for anything (laundry, bath, cleaning...) I saw 2 yesterday, one with Lavender, one with Peppermint. This was at Walgreens. I don't remember the ounces but it was large, for $14.99, and of course you dilute it so it probably last quite awhile. I think it was called Dr. Bonners.

I did buy a gluten free shampoo there at Walgreens, it is their brand. It is called Clean & Natural. Fragrance Free (no masking fragrance), no formaldehyde, parabens, lanolin, protein or dyes. States it is Gluten-free, alcohol-free and 100% vegan. Not tested on animals.

It is actually Dr. Bronners, (castille soap) and I bought a smaller one on sale at Henry's Farmer's Market to try. They had 4 or 5 scents there at Henry's, all with essential oils. I think that the Tea Tree oil one is supposed to help fight mold and mildew also. The castille soap is also cheaper at Trader Joes, although they only had Peppermint.

KristaleeJane Contributor

I won't scream at you either but it is a known fact that:

"What goes on your skin will be absorbed into the bloodstream"

How do you explain the millions of people that get rashes welts and blisters after using lotions, shampoo and conditioners that contain gluten?

Why do doctors tell you differently, my doctor was very clear that I stay away from makeup, hair and body care products containing gluten?

There is an overwelming amount of people that do react to to gluten in products.

I know myself I break out and get very itchy from any products containing gluten.

But you are entitled to your own opinion...........

RoseTapper Newbie

I would like to add that I also react to iodine when squalane or another transporting oil is combined with iodized salt. When such a mixture has been applied to my skin, the underlying tissues (muscles and tendons) feel as though they've been battered with a baseball bat. When a manicurist used an iodized salt mixture on my hands, I could barely move my fingers without tremendous pain, and the swelling and pain didn't subside for about six months. I have heard it said by healthcare professionals time and again, if you can't put it in your mouth, don't put it on your skin.

Someday I strongly believe that research will bear out the fact that gluten IS, in fact, absorbed into the bloodstream.

darlindeb25 Collaborator
I have heard it said by healthcare professionals time and again, if you can't put it in your mouth, don't put it on your skin.
I have never heard that before, but I totally agree!

Someday I strongly believe that research will bear out the fact that gluten IS, in fact, absorbed into the bloodstream.
This very well could be. I know when I get gluten on my skin, I get hives, a burning sensation, sometimes itching. I do believe that shampoo, soaps, etc can get in your mouth while showering, and you can be glutened in that way.
  • 5 months later...
efb416 Newbie
Just wanted to mention Mayo Clinic research indicates gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin, or cause DH through topical applications (it must be ingested to cause DH according to them) :) . Here is a link to the Mayo Clinic research on this topic for those who may be interested:

Open Original Shared Link

I have read this information also. It appears there is a lot of conflicting information circulating in the medical environment. And I agree with many others that there must be more research done in the area. However, given that the cosmetics and body care industries have taken on adding vitamins and minerals into their products (makeup, soaps, shampoo, etc.) it would seem that there is in the very least the possibility for absorption into the skin and the bloodstream. I wish I remember where I read this, but apparently we may absorb up to 60% of what is applied topically (to the skin) into the bloodstream. And although we may not intentionally ingest our makeup, soaps/shampoos etc.. when bathing, we usually ingest trace amounts even if we keep our mouths closed in the shower! (This taken from instructions from Health Canada not to bathe in water contaminated with e-coli bacteria in some communities previously affected by the bacteria in Ontario). So it's a hard decision to make. How far do we take this. For me, having been very sick for a long time, I will take it as far as I can. But there are also people who are diagnosed with Celiac disease who choose to continue to consume gluten (I suppose they didn't experience severe symptoms). I just thought I should put it out there, because it seems to me that even some health care practitioners (including my family doctor) are not seeing parallels. I for one, did not think about clothing detergent and it's transition to my tea towels and food but I will check now. I currently use Sunlight - Unscented, Hypoallergenic liquid detergent but don't know it's gluten-free status.

Tallforagirl Rookie
I know that there is a lot of people on here who will scream at me for saying this but here goes...

Unless you are eating the soap/shampoo/ect.. You can use whatever you want.

Unless you are dealing with open head wounds/ or skin tears on the body. The type of shampoo you use should not exacerbate any DH symptoms.

Good Luck. Brizzo

Brizzo, I'm with you on this one, however, I think what happens with some celiacs is that they also have a wheat allergy, which may mean lotions, shampoos etc with wheat protein irritate the skin.

For the rest of us, I would say if it's not causing a topical reaction, you don't need to stress (unless you think you'll swallow it). Obviously if your shampoo, lotion etc bothers your skin, then you need to find another product that doesn't bother you, but personally, I don't know how you could be certain that it's definitely the gluten rather than any other ingredient that's causing the irritation. It seems to me that if you've already got a skin rash, then lots of things could irritate it.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Brizzo, I'm with you on this one, however, I think what happens with some celiacs is that they also have a wheat allergy, which may mean lotions, shampoos etc with wheat protein irritate the skin.

For the rest of us, I would say if it's not causing a topical reaction, you don't need to stress (unless you think you'll swallow it). Obviously if your shampoo, lotion etc bothers your skin, then you need to find another product that doesn't bother you, but personally, I don't know how you could be certain that it's definitely the gluten rather than any other ingredient that's causing the irritation. It seems to me that if you've already got a skin rash, then lots of things could irritate it.

DH is NOT an allergic reaction it is an antibody reaction. A lot goes with it other than the rash and it is the antibody reaction that causes DH. For the antibodies to be activated it takes very very little gluten and once the antibody reaction begins then they begin a cascade through the body causing many symptoms other than the rash. That is how we know it is the gluten we are reacting to and not some other mysterious 'thing' in the ingredients.

An allergy to wheat protein is also possible but it is not the skin contact that gets us with the antibody reaction it is injestion of residual gluten left on the skin. I am glad you have no problem with topical glutens, or at least at this point you think you don't. But deeming DH and the antibody reaction we experience from it to be in actuality an allergic reaction is just plain wrong. If you choose to continue to use gluten based toiletries that is fine but many of us have found out the hard way that it is not safe for all.

Archived