40 replies to this topic

#16 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:16 AM

Well, I'm a simple creature. The one and only reason that I occasionally cheat with dairy and soy is that the benefit (enjoying a food that I love) is worth enduring the consequences (insomnia and eczema). I don't want to live that way, but it's hard for me to give up what I love without severe penalties (as with gluten).

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:00 AM

Well, I'm a simple creature. The one and only reason that I occasionally cheat with dairy and soy is that the benefit (enjoying a food that I love) is worth enduring the consequences (insomnia and eczema). I don't want to live that way, but it's hard for me to give up what I love without severe penalties (as with gluten).

And, in my opinion, if we really know the consequences (if, for instance, the insomnia and eczema are the extent of them) and the reward is worth it, and we've thought about it, then we're making an informed decision, and I don't think there's a big problem with that. :) (I'm not condoning eating things that make people sick, just condoning individuals making informed decisions for themselves. Sometimes, in some instances, I think the latter can lead to the former. :P)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#18 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:53 AM

Rather, the fact that it makes you sick isn't sufficient to keep you from doing it. That makes it self-destructive, in some ways. We all do some things that are self-destructive to some extent, and it's useful to think about why. Sometimes, if we can understand why the reward makes it worth the risk for us, it helps.

This is interesting. There are some things I cheat on and some I don't. The ones with the most sever penalties (for me) I never cheat on.

As for the other things, sometimes I think the penalties aren't sever enough to add that particular food to my "don't touch list". I'm willing to tolerate a bit of discomfort now and then to pretend I'm normal.

Curious beings we are.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#19 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:25 AM

I'm willing to tolerate a bit of discomfort now and then to pretend I'm normal.

Curious beings we are.

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

#20 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:39 AM

For me, I weigh the pro's and con's of cheating. I will NEVER cheat with gluten - it's just not worth it. The only soy I eat is soy lecithin in things like chocolate chips (can't afford the Enjoy Life ones), which is a once in a while thing. I have never noticed a reaction to lecithin, but if I did, I would probably cut it out too.

I cheat with eggs once in a while in a baked good if it just won't work without it. I have to decide if my psoriasis getting worse is worth the piece of cake or whatever - sometimes yes, sometimes no. I would never try scrambled eggs because I'm afraid I would be really sick, but 1/16th of an egg I'm sometimes willing to risk - but I only did that after avoiding them like the plague for about 9 years.

I'm kind of the same with dairy - I would never drink milk or eat real cheese or ice cream. But I do bake with butter occasionally because I can't find a dairy-free, soy-free margarine without hydrogenated oils. And I occasionally eat raw goat or sheep milk cheese. Again, I weigh the pro's and con's.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#21 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:57 AM

exactly - so, for the op, shalia, if you can weigh the pros and cons objectively, and not make a *purely* emotional decision about it (though I'm certainly not saying that the emotional aspect should be left out - it is certainly a factor in something like this), and make a well-informed, thought out decision, then there's no reason to feel guilty. :)

(sometimes I feel guilty for being *so* strict about dairy - with nothing but an dietary elimination to go on. I won't even do butter. but... it's a decision I made, with a lot of information. so be it. :) )
Bellevue, WA

#22 Shalia

Shalia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:09 PM

Shalia,

What state do you live in?

I'm in Utah. :) Salt Lake to be exact.

I didn't mean it in a "because it makes you sick" way. Rather, the fact that it makes you sick isn't sufficient to keep you from doing it. That makes it self-destructive, in some ways. We all do some things that are self-destructive to some extent, and it's useful to think about why. Sometimes, if we can understand why the reward makes it worth the risk for us, it helps.

Sometimes not. Just one more thing to think about, is all.

No, what you said really helped me. :) When I was craving a chocolate bar today I asked myself "is it worth being sick? Why make myself sick when I can avoid it?" and I was able to keep away. So you really helped me.

Thanks. :)

Shalia

#23 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:13 PM

My other intolerance is dairy/casein. It makes me feel worse than gluten does, so no cheating!!! <_< It's interesting to me that some of your intolerances aren't as bad as gluten.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#24 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:33 PM

Shalia,

Fred Meyer/Krogers carries some enjoy life stuff up here. Maybe they would be willing to order some chips for you.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#25 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:33 PM

When I was craving a chocolate bar today I asked myself "is it worth being sick? Why make myself sick when I can avoid it?" and I was able to keep away. So you really helped me.

I'm glad it helped. :)

You shouldn't have to go without chocolate if it's not absolutely necessary though, so I encourage you to look around for chocolate you can have. (So says this bossy little chocoholic. :P) It's dairy and soy, right? Including soy lecithin? If so, you can still get ground cocoa and make hot chocolate, or chocolate pies, or raw brownies. You can even get dark chocolate bars without soy lecithin - I believe Green & Black's mint bar doesn't have soy, Michael Cozumel (sp) french chocolates don't, and ... some type of chocolate chips (someone help me out here, I know they've been mentioned a number of times) are soy free too.
Bellevue, WA

#26 Shalia

Shalia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:28 PM

Shalia,

Fred Meyer/Krogers carries some enjoy life stuff up here. Maybe they would be willing to order some chips for you.

We don't have Fred Meyer here, but I can try the store they turned into, Smith's Marketplace, and see if *they* carry them. I always forget. :)

I'm glad it helped. :)

You shouldn't have to go without chocolate if it's not absolutely necessary though, so I encourage you to look around for chocolate you can have. (So says this bossy little chocoholic. :P) It's dairy and soy, right? Including soy lecithin? If so, you can still get ground cocoa and make hot chocolate, or chocolate pies, or raw brownies. You can even get dark chocolate bars without soy lecithin - I believe Green & Black's mint bar doesn't have soy, Michael Cozumel (sp) french chocolates don't, and ... some type of chocolate chips (someone help me out here, I know they've been mentioned a number of times) are soy free too.

Fortunately, I can still do dairy. (For the time being... ;) ) So it's really just the soy.

But yes, soy lecithin makes me sick, it's one of the ways I figured out it was soy causing the problem was hershey's bars were causing the problem. That's when I pinned it to dairy and/or soy. So since I *know* chocolate bars cause it, I know soy lecithin is a problem. (Which REALLY bites when it comes to non-stick cooking sprays...)

#27 Can'tEvenEatRice!

Can'tEvenEatRice!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:10 AM

I agree that the whole food intolerance thing is so hard! It is hard enough to avoid gluten, but to give up other things is so difficult too. I pretty much cannot tolerate any grains at all so when I crave something substantial, my only choice is potato chips. I have really been craving cereal, so I broke down and ate some gluten free corn flakes. Well, they made me sick since I have trouble with corn. What did I do a few days later? I hate some more! Then I threw the box away! I keep hoping that some of my intolerances will just go away, but they seem to be getting worse. Try to take it one day at a time and know there will be setbacks. I feel your pain!! I would never in a million years cheat with gluten, but I keep trying with my other food intolerances.

#28 Simply_V

Simply_V

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:55 AM

But yes, soy lecithin makes me sick, it's one of the ways I figured out it was soy causing the problem was hershey's bars were causing the problem. That's when I pinned it to dairy and/or soy. So since I *know* chocolate bars cause it, I know soy lecithin is a problem. (Which REALLY bites when it comes to non-stick cooking sprays...)

Just so you know.. Hershey bars also have corn in them.
V
Severe airborne allergies since childhood. Was on constant antihisamines with behavior issues. Digestion issues started noticably around 1985.
1992 IBS diagnosis.
2004 Corn allergy - through diet discovery.
2005 RAST negative to all food allergies. High cholesterol diagnosed as PCOS.
2006 Immunolabs ELISA and IgE assay:
IgE to Corn, Milk, Eggs, & White Bean.
IgG to peppers, blk/wt pepper, beans, almonds, yeasts.
Neg. to Celiac, gluten, etc. High IgA level.
2008 No longer considered as having PCOS, or associated risks.

Currently avoiding corn, eggs, cow & goat milk, all beans (cept some soy derivatives & peanut oil), cruciferous veggies, onions/garlic, carrots/celery, anything bilberry/cranberry/blueberry, peppers, and anything remotely corn derived, corntaminated.

Currently off all allergy medications for airborne allergies and breathing fine.

#29 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:49 AM

Just so you know.. Hershey bars also have corn in them.

Well now, that certainly explains a lot. Thank you! :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#30 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:02 AM

I believe Green & Black's mint bar doesn't have soy

Just a word of caution, a handful of Green & Black's chocolate bars/products contain gluten, including the Mint Bar.

I just discovered this this week, wanted to pass it along.

Here is a link to the chart of Green & Black's products containing gluten:

http://www.greenandb...itionalarea.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: