40 replies to this topic

#31 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:45 AM

Just a word of caution, a handful of Green & Black's chocolate bars/products contain gluten, including the Mint Bar.

I just discovered this this week, wanted to pass it along.

Here is a link to the chart of Green & Black's products containing gluten:

http://www.greenandb...itionalarea.php

Thanks Julie,

Looks like I'll have to pass on those too.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:49 AM

Thanks Julie, I almost forgot--my husband (chocoholic himself) bought a Green and Blacks bar over the weekend and on the label it says it made in the same facility as milk and wheat.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#33 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:53 AM

Interesting, because if you look at the ingredients, there's not reason to suspect it would have gluten. Now, concern over contamination from a mixed facility is a different issue - though still a perfectly valid concern. I wonder what causes them to check that little column.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#34 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:00 PM

Interesting, because if you look at the ingredients, there's not reason to suspect it would have gluten. Now, concern over contamination from a mixed facility is a different issue - though still a perfectly valid concern. I wonder what causes them to check that little column.

These are the listed ingredients according to the website:

Green & Blacks Organic Mint

Ingredients Organic Cocoa Mass, Organic Raw Cane Sugar, Water, Organic Fat-reduced Cocoa Powder, Organic Wheat Syrup, Organic Invert Syrup, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Alcohol, Invertase, Organic Peppermint Oil (0.03%), Organic Vanilla Extract.

#35 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:14 PM

lol... guess they changed that. for three years, I'd check every time I got some - even sometimes just passing by though I didn't purchase, and I recall often not seeing it. maybe work's gotten to my brain and I'm imagining things, but I really don't recall seeing it just a few months ago in WF. that's very unfortunate, that they don't have a GFCFSF option. :(

Thanks for correcting me, though. :)
Bellevue, WA

#36 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for correcting me, though. :)

I didn't mean for it to come across as I was correcting you, it just happened to be relevant to me- this week I had a hunkering for mint and chocolate so I checked out the Green & Black's website, I'm so glad I did I. I would have just eaten the bar without looking most likely.

I hope it's not a case of the U.S. labels not disclosing the "wheat syrup".

And why does chocolate need "wheat syrup" anyway? :blink:

#37 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:31 PM

Would that be instead of using barley malt?

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#38 Shalia

Shalia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:57 PM

I agree that the whole food intolerance thing is so hard! It is hard enough to avoid gluten, but to give up other things is so difficult too. I pretty much cannot tolerate any grains at all so when I crave something substantial, my only choice is potato chips. I have really been craving cereal, so I broke down and ate some gluten free corn flakes. Well, they made me sick since I have trouble with corn. What did I do a few days later? I hate some more! Then I threw the box away! I keep hoping that some of my intolerances will just go away, but they seem to be getting worse. Try to take it one day at a time and know there will be setbacks. I feel your pain!! I would never in a million years cheat with gluten, but I keep trying with my other food intolerances.

Ouch. :( You must feel so frustrated. I've had to go around and throw away everything I can't eat because I know I'll break down an eat it. Sounds like you are the same. :( I hope you start feeling better soon, and eventually can eat more. No grains would be nearly impossible for me...

(Here's to potato chips!)

Just so you know.. Hershey bars also have corn in them.

True. But after the dairy/soy experiment, I ate Swedish Fish, which I think are pretty much HFCS and red #40. There was no dairy or soy in them. And no reaction.

I'm pretty confident it's soy. Every soy slip up has caused the same rxn.

#39 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:32 PM

But after the dairy/soy experiment, I ate Swedish Fish, which I think are pretty much HFCS and red #40. There was no dairy or soy in them. And no reaction.

What a great way to test for intolerances. Line up a whole variety of candies and eat a different kind each day to check for reactions. Sounds like a lot more fun than those stupid elimination things.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#40 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:35 PM

I didn't mean for it to come across as I was correcting you, it just happened to be relevant to me- this week I had a hunkering for mint and chocolate so I checked out the Green & Black's website, I'm so glad I did I. I would have just eaten the bar without looking most likely.

I hope it's not a case of the U.S. labels not disclosing the "wheat syrup".

No, I meant correcting in a good way. I did make a mistake, and on these things, that's a bad thing. *searches for the 'mildly embarassed, but knows we all understand it' smiley* Friendly correcting (which is totally how I interpretted it :) ) is a good thing in my book.

Every time I've checked the Michael Cozumel stuff (sp? on his last name... it's french...) has been GFCFSF (for the dark chocolate) but I don't know if he's got mint versions, and heck, with my luck, he's added wheat! :o You could make hot coco and put mint extract (or some chopped up mint leaves) in it...
Bellevue, WA

#41 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:38 AM

You could make hot coco and put mint extract (or some chopped up mint leaves) in it...

Thank you for this suggestion, great idea! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: