This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

It's Easier To Cheat...

Shalia

Shalia Apprentice
Shalia,

Fred Meyer/Krogers carries some enjoy life stuff up here. Maybe they would be willing to order some chips for you.

We don't have Fred Meyer here, but I can try the store they turned into, Smith's Marketplace, and see if *they* carry them. I always forget. :)

I'm glad it helped. :)

You shouldn't have to go without chocolate if it's not absolutely necessary though, so I encourage you to look around for chocolate you can have. (So says this bossy little chocoholic. :P) It's dairy and soy, right? Including soy lecithin? If so, you can still get ground cocoa and make hot chocolate, or chocolate pies, or raw brownies. You can even get dark chocolate bars without soy lecithin - I believe Green & Black's mint bar doesn't have soy, Michael Cozumel (sp) french chocolates don't, and ... some type of chocolate chips (someone help me out here, I know they've been mentioned a number of times) are soy free too.

Fortunately, I can still do dairy. (For the time being... ;) ) So it's really just the soy.

But yes, soy lecithin makes me sick, it's one of the ways I figured out it was soy causing the problem was hershey's bars were causing the problem. That's when I pinned it to dairy and/or soy. So since I *know* chocolate bars cause it, I know soy lecithin is a problem. (Which REALLY bites when it comes to non-stick cooking sprays...)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CantEvenEatRice Enthusiast

I agree that the whole food intolerance thing is so hard! It is hard enough to avoid gluten, but to give up other things is so difficult too. I pretty much cannot tolerate any grains at all so when I crave something substantial, my only choice is potato chips. I have really been craving cereal, so I broke down and ate some gluten free corn flakes. Well, they made me sick since I have trouble with corn. What did I do a few days later? I hate some more! Then I threw the box away! I keep hoping that some of my intolerances will just go away, but they seem to be getting worse. Try to take it one day at a time and know there will be setbacks. I feel your pain!! I would never in a million years cheat with gluten, but I keep trying with my other food intolerances.

Simply-V Newbie
But yes, soy lecithin makes me sick, it's one of the ways I figured out it was soy causing the problem was hershey's bars were causing the problem. That's when I pinned it to dairy and/or soy. So since I *know* chocolate bars cause it, I know soy lecithin is a problem. (Which REALLY bites when it comes to non-stick cooking sprays...)

Just so you know.. Hershey bars also have corn in them.

jerseyangel Proficient

Well now, that certainly explains a lot. Thank you! :)

Green12 Enthusiast
I believe Green & Black's mint bar doesn't have soy

Just a word of caution, a handful of Green & Black's chocolate bars/products contain gluten, including the Mint Bar.

I just discovered this this week, wanted to pass it along.

Here is a link to the chart of Green & Black's products containing gluten:

Open Original Shared Link

AndreaB Contributor
Just a word of caution, a handful of Green & Black's chocolate bars/products contain gluten, including the Mint Bar.

I just discovered this this week, wanted to pass it along.

Here is a link to the chart of Green & Black's products containing gluten:

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks Julie,

Looks like I'll have to pass on those too.

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks Julie, I almost forgot--my husband (chocoholic himself) bought a Green and Blacks bar over the weekend and on the label it says it made in the same facility as milk and wheat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Interesting, because if you look at the ingredients, there's not reason to suspect it would have gluten. Now, concern over contamination from a mixed facility is a different issue - though still a perfectly valid concern. I wonder what causes them to check that little column.

Green12 Enthusiast
Interesting, because if you look at the ingredients, there's not reason to suspect it would have gluten. Now, concern over contamination from a mixed facility is a different issue - though still a perfectly valid concern. I wonder what causes them to check that little column.

These are the listed ingredients according to the website:

Green & Blacks Organic Mint

Ingredients Organic Cocoa Mass, Organic Raw Cane Sugar, Water, Organic Fat-reduced Cocoa Powder, Organic Wheat Syrup, Organic Invert Syrup, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Alcohol, Invertase, Organic Peppermint Oil (0.03%), Organic Vanilla Extract.

lol... guess they changed that. for three years, I'd check every time I got some - even sometimes just passing by though I didn't purchase, and I recall often not seeing it. maybe work's gotten to my brain and I'm imagining things, but I really don't recall seeing it just a few months ago in WF. that's very unfortunate, that they don't have a GFCFSF option. :(

Thanks for correcting me, though. :)

Green12 Enthusiast
Thanks for correcting me, though. :)

I didn't mean for it to come across as I was correcting you, it just happened to be relevant to me- this week I had a hunkering for mint and chocolate so I checked out the Green & Black's website, I'm so glad I did I. I would have just eaten the bar without looking most likely.

I hope it's not a case of the U.S. labels not disclosing the "wheat syrup".

And why does chocolate need "wheat syrup" anyway? :blink:

AndreaB Contributor

Would that be instead of using barley malt?

Shalia Apprentice
I agree that the whole food intolerance thing is so hard! It is hard enough to avoid gluten, but to give up other things is so difficult too. I pretty much cannot tolerate any grains at all so when I crave something substantial, my only choice is potato chips. I have really been craving cereal, so I broke down and ate some gluten free corn flakes. Well, they made me sick since I have trouble with corn. What did I do a few days later? I hate some more! Then I threw the box away! I keep hoping that some of my intolerances will just go away, but they seem to be getting worse. Try to take it one day at a time and know there will be setbacks. I feel your pain!! I would never in a million years cheat with gluten, but I keep trying with my other food intolerances.

Ouch. :( You must feel so frustrated. I've had to go around and throw away everything I can't eat because I know I'll break down an eat it. Sounds like you are the same. :( I hope you start feeling better soon, and eventually can eat more. No grains would be nearly impossible for me...

(Here's to potato chips!)

True. But after the dairy/soy experiment, I ate Swedish Fish, which I think are pretty much HFCS and red #40. There was no dairy or soy in them. And no reaction.

I'm pretty confident it's soy. Every soy slip up has caused the same rxn.

Jestgar Rising Star
But after the dairy/soy experiment, I ate Swedish Fish, which I think are pretty much HFCS and red #40. There was no dairy or soy in them. And no reaction.

What a great way to test for intolerances. Line up a whole variety of candies and eat a different kind each day to check for reactions. Sounds like a lot more fun than those stupid elimination things.

I didn't mean for it to come across as I was correcting you, it just happened to be relevant to me- this week I had a hunkering for mint and chocolate so I checked out the Green & Black's website, I'm so glad I did I. I would have just eaten the bar without looking most likely.

I hope it's not a case of the U.S. labels not disclosing the "wheat syrup".

No, I meant correcting in a good way. I did make a mistake, and on these things, that's a bad thing. *searches for the 'mildly embarassed, but knows we all understand it' smiley* Friendly correcting (which is totally how I interpretted it :) ) is a good thing in my book.

Every time I've checked the Michael Cozumel stuff (sp? on his last name... it's french...) has been GFCFSF (for the dark chocolate) but I don't know if he's got mint versions, and heck, with my luck, he's added wheat! :o You could make hot coco and put mint extract (or some chopped up mint leaves) in it...

Green12 Enthusiast
You could make hot coco and put mint extract (or some chopped up mint leaves) in it...

Thank you for this suggestion, great idea! :)

Archived