31 replies to this topic

#1 Tavi2

Tavi2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:24 AM

Are monosodium glutamate the same as gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rinne

rinne

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:35 AM

No, MSG is not gluten.

MSG stimulates the brain so that the food tastes good to you, it allow manufacturers to use cheap ingredients. It causes many problems for up to 40% of the population, is in most processed food and is called other names like hydrolyzed vegetable protein.

It was one of the first sensitivities I noticed, I would get headaches, a burning tongue and a feeling like something was crawling under my skin.

Oops, just noticed that you are new, welcome.
A family with Celiac disease, two brothers and two sisters.

Lyme Disease, Diagnosis October 19, 2006

May 2006 - December 2008 Gluten and Dairy Free

December 2008, while seeing improvement on the gluten free diet, I did not recover and so in December of 2008 began the SCD and now have hope for recovery.

#3 Guest_Robbin_*

Guest_Robbin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:55 AM

:) Hi and I would like to welcome you too. MSG is horrible for my whole family. I really don't know anyone that isn't sensitive to it. I sometimes wonder if that is why there is such a raging obesity problem in this country since it is so addictive. I get migraines and D from it, and so does my youngest son. It is one of those additives that keep many people guessing as to why they are still sick after eliminating gluten, so be aware of that. Take care.

#4 Guest_Norah022_*

Guest_Norah022_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:42 AM

Some MSG does have gluten in it though!

#5 Tim-n-VA

Tim-n-VA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:05 PM

Really? I thought MSG was a chemical compound added to food. While it can be added to food containing gluten that isn't the same as the MSG having gluten. Am I missing something? It is tricky reading these labels.

#6 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:23 PM

The manufacturers do have tricks to conceal the way they add MSG to products, so they skirt around the labeling laws. They will even boldly say "no MSG" and such! And yes, it IS responsible for some portion of the diabetes and obesity in America. Since the 1970's it has been used to actually make rats develop diabetes and obesity, so they can test drugs on them afterwards! Maybe it has gluten in some cases, but even if it doesn't I won't put that garbage in my body.

Here are some articles and links to some good info on MSG:
http://www.newstarget.com/001528.html
http://www.newstarget.com/001529.html
http://www.truthinla...densources.html
http://www.vanderbil...chology/msg.htm
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#7 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:29 PM

MSG is ok from a gluten standpoint but it is so bad for you and actually causes drug reactions in the body.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#8 rinne

rinne

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:10 PM

:o I think you may be right about that. It could be hidden in there, I have avoided it for so many years and really haven't looked at it closely lately, I should be more careful about what I say, thanks.
A family with Celiac disease, two brothers and two sisters.

Lyme Disease, Diagnosis October 19, 2006

May 2006 - December 2008 Gluten and Dairy Free

December 2008, while seeing improvement on the gluten free diet, I did not recover and so in December of 2008 began the SCD and now have hope for recovery.

#9 Tim-n-VA

Tim-n-VA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 03:10 AM

Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)

MSG is the sodium salt of glutamic acid, an amino acid found in many foods. It has been produced from both wheat gluten and sugar beet molasses but is now produced almost entirely from the latter in a highly purified form. Most authorities agree that it is harmless. There should be no concern among Celiacs about the use of foods containing MSG.

I'm new at this, diagnosed with celiac about a month ago. One of the most frustrating parts of this is the conflicting information. The above quote is from the Canadian Celiac Association. It certainly isn't easy to figure out what to eat. Consider this article on MSGTruth.org:

MSG is on the list of foods for celiac patients to avoid. Wheat is such a good source of glutamic acid, as is soy, and corn, that MSG is often made from these foods.

#10 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:33 AM

I'm new at this, diagnosed with celiac about a month ago. One of the most frustrating parts of this is the conflicting information. The above quote is from the Canadian Celiac Association. It certainly isn't easy to figure out what to eat. Consider this article on MSGTruth.org:

You need to read your sources carefully and consider where they are coming from. Is it from a pro-msg source (like an msg manufacturer or chemical group), a neutral source, or an anti-msg source. And what does the research actually state?

http://www.vanderbil...chology/msg.htm

I looked at this report which was given above. 634 people agreed to participate in the study. They selected the first 61 people who identified themselves as msg-sensitive and gave them a 5 gram dose of msg or a placebo on an empty stomach. They retested the ones who got the placebo on another day.

The reactions were recorded. People who were sensitive were given three different doses of msg to see if the response was dose dependent.

Based on the study criteria, people who showed two symptoms from the msg they took were considered sensitive. 36 of the 60 were actually sensitive. What does this mean? 24 of 60 people who thought they were sensitive had no reaction to a HUGE dose of msg on an empty stomach. Also, headache alone was not a good indicator, as more people taking the placebo got headaches than the msg group. <_<

So this report doesn't give any support to the idea that msg is a chronic toxin or that everybody is sensitive to it, and certainly not to the idea that msg is responsible for all the obesity in the country - I wish it were, I cook all my own food from scratch, so I should be at the lowest intake level, but I'm hardly thin. Obesity is probably related to a great many dietary changes that have occurred over the last 50 years.
Nothing

#11 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:46 AM

I'm new at this, diagnosed with celiac about a month ago. One of the most frustrating parts of this is the conflicting information.

Yes, but in the case of MSG the evidence is overwhelming, so I'm really surprised that anyone would suggest it's safe. It may not be a gluten source, but it is a known toxin. It will kill brain cells too when the level is high enough, and apparently that's easy to achieve. So I don't think of it as something a Celiac in particular should be avoiding, but that everyone should avoid it. It's just bad, like other harmful substances such as many pesticides for example.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#12 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:25 AM

Just saw your name and thought I was going batty and didn't remember posting something! Is Tavi your real name?
I have never met another Tavi before. People are really going to get confused now! :D
Welcome Tavi, I have never had the opprotunity to say that before :D :D :D
Please don't tell me that's your dog's name?
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

#13 Tim-n-VA

Tim-n-VA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:47 AM

Yes, but in the case of MSG the evidence is overwhelming, so I'm really surprised that anyone would suggest it's safe. It may not be a gluten source, but it is a known toxin. It will kill brain cells too when the level is high enough, and apparently that's easy to achieve. So I don't think of it as something a Celiac in particular should be avoiding, but that everyone should avoid it. It's just bad, like other harmful substances such as many pesticides for example.

Your post supports the point I was making. You state that MSG is a known toxin in a post immediately following a post the cited a scientific study on the effects of varying amounts of MSG on self-described MSG-sensitive subjects. A google search for MSG returns on the first page, articles both for and against MSG including one from the FDA that doesn't call MSG a toxin.

I don't know whether MSG is creating problems in people but nothing in this thread makes it a clear issue.

#14 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:56 AM

Your post supports the point I was making. You state that MSG is a known toxin in a post immediately following a post the cited a scientific study on the effects of varying amounts of MSG on self-described MSG-sensitive subjects. A google search for MSG returns on the first page, articles both for and against MSG including one from the FDA that doesn't call MSG a toxin.

I don't know whether MSG is creating problems in people but nothing in this thread makes it a clear issue.

Well, I'd point out that just because a person doesn't notice any effect doesn't mean there isn't. We all know how the damage from gluten can go on for years unnoticed, and even doctors still can't see it in many cases. As I searched around for articles on MSG, I found a whole lot more to suggest it's bad than anything else. Not to go off-topic, but try searching for fluoride and see what you get. It's toxic too, and with overwhelming evidence, but the American Dental Association is still trying to pretend it's safe or even beneficial. A number of countries have banned it. Here's just one link: http://www.fluoridat...m/c-country.htm

Anyway, one thing is quite clear, and that is no matter what the issue, you'll get folks on both sides. I guess that's what makes them topics for discussion in the first place. Heck, there are even people who think smoking tobacco is beneficial! But just because this doctor believes it doesn't mean it's true.

Like they say, it takes all kinds...

#15 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:59 PM

I looked at this report which was given above. 634 people agreed to participate in the study. They selected the first 61 people who identified themselves as msg-sensitive and gave them a 5 gram dose of msg or a placebo on an empty stomach. They retested the ones who got the placebo on another day.

The reactions were recorded. People who were sensitive were given three different doses of msg to see if the response was dose dependent.

Based on the study criteria, people who showed two symptoms from the msg they took were considered sensitive. 36 of the 60 were actually sensitive. What does this mean? 24 of 60 people who thought they were sensitive had no reaction to a HUGE dose of msg on an empty stomach. Also, headache alone was not a good indicator, as more people taking the placebo got headaches than the msg group. <_<

So this report doesn't give any support to the idea that msg is a chronic toxin or that everybody is sensitive to it, and certainly not to the idea that msg is responsible for all the obesity in the country - I wish it were, I cook all my own food from scratch, so I should be at the lowest intake level, but I'm hardly thin. Obesity is probably related to a great many dietary changes that have occurred over the last 50 years.

Yes, but were you aware that for these studies they were using Aspartame in the placebos!! That is why the people taking the placebos were getting headaches. Most people who are sensitive to MSG are also sensitive to Aspartame. Another trick to convince us that MSG is safe when all of the evidence shows thats its not. Using Aspartame in the placebos completley negates the results of the study. It only proves that aspartame is just as bad as MSG....and why do you think they would think to do such a thing?? Why put Aspartame in a placebo....hmmm....me thinks they were up to something. <_<

Also what do those who are anti-Msg really stand to gain by speaking out about the dangers of a known neuorotoxin....other than to eduacte and warn the general public???
I'm thinking the pro-Msger's are the ones who will really benefit from having pulled the wool over the eyes of the people. It comes down to the almighty $$....and yes, MSG is a huge contributer to the obesity factor here in the US. Nevermind that though....MSG makes big bucks for the food industry and so they have *everything* to gain by making false statements and by putting another known neurotoxin into their placebo. Again...I have to ask....why would they do this??? <_<
Rachel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: