31 replies to this topic

#31 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:55 AM

I'm also curious why we haven't seen a chorus of "I gave up msg and lost 10...25...50...100 pounds!" which I would expect to see if there was this effect.

Most likely because its extremely difficult to "give up MSG"...as its in just about everything we eat nowadays. You could say just eat fruit, veggies and meat and you will be naturally free of MSG right???...Wrong.....its actually found its way into the fresh produce via growth enhancers. Auxigro is a growth enhancer (ever wonder how the strawberries got to be so big?) that contains 30% glutamic acid. Yup...thats MSG...and its used on a wide array of crops...vegetables, fruits, grains, and nuts.

Its virtually impossible to say "I gave up MSG"....what on Earth would you eat? :huh:

Furthermore....thanks to the widespread use of MSG on the crops....its now found its way back into baby food. At one time MSG was removed from all baby food products but with the use of Auxigro and other growth enhancers unfortunately there is no guarantee your babies food will be free of MSG.
Rachel

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 floridanative

floridanative

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:59 PM

Organic produce isn't supposed to have MSG in it. I started reacting to it about three months into the gluten-free diet. I only buy organic meats and produce now, turkey bacon with no nitrates....organic soups...anything I can find that I think is the healthiest option around. My system is pretty clean now so I can really tell when I have MSG as my stomach bloats up like a gluten reaction. So I think if something makes you feel bad, you should not consume it. Doesn't matter what study proves what. MSG makes me sick - end of story for me.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: