13 replies to this topic

#1 Anne AMP

Anne AMP

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:38 PM

I need a suppliment. I can't keep anything in me for so long. Can I take Ensure or is there a suppliment that will not cause problems?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Corkdarrr

Corkdarrr

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:53 PM

Based on this website I found both Pedialyte and Ensure are gluten-free.

http://www.medscape....rticle/406948_6

Ross Products Division, Abbott Laboratories (Columbus, OH)

Alimentum Liquid
Ensure Products
Isomil Formulas
Jevity Products
Similac Formulas
Osmolite Products
Pedialyte Oral Rehydration
Pediasure Formulas
Similac Formulas

I don't know how old those product statements are so you might want to check the company's website just to be sure. Good luck and I hope you feel better!

Courtney
Courtney - 25
Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006
Casein-free since October 16, 2006
Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.
Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006
Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993
Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06
Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

#3 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:57 PM

I need a suppliment. I can't keep anything in me for so long. Can I take Ensure or is there a suppliment that will not cause problems?

I am not sure I understand. What kind of supplement are you looking for?
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 mouse

mouse

**armetta**

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:22 PM

2 1/2 years ago when I got so dehydrated before diagnosis, I drank pedialite and continued to drink it for about a month after diagnosis. I needed to get some nutrients in me. I really don't think that that has any gluten in it, because I would have thrown it up like I did all other food. A little over a year ago, I lost more weight with our move to a smaller home. I drank high protein Ensure several times a day and I know then that it was gluten free.
"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004
Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat
Morphia Scleroderma
Osteoarthritis
Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid
Essential Tremors
Asthma
Migraines
Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis
PAD Peripheral Artery Disease
Angina and Atrial Fibrillation
Gluten Ataxia
Vitiligo
Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.
Ocular Myastenia Gravis

#5 par18

par18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:34 PM

Hi,

I drank Ensure (choc or straw) about 1 a day for about the first 2 months on the diet with no problem for me except for the cost. Everything it seemed in the beginning with the exception of naturally gluten free food came with sticker shock. I was eating a lot of food in addition to this supplement and everything was ok.

Tom

#6 Anne AMP

Anne AMP

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:46 PM

Hi,

I drank Ensure (choc or straw) about 1 a day for about the first 2 months on the diet with no problem for me except for the cost. Everything it seemed in the beginning with the exception of naturally gluten free food came with sticker shock. I was eating a lot of food in addition to this supplement and everything was ok.

Tom

Problem is I am unable to keep any foods from coming out in the form of D. Also, I cannot eat corn, rice or any soy, eggs or milk products. Does Ensure have any of those in them.

Based on this website I found both Pedialyte and Ensure are gluten-free.

http://www.medscape....rticle/406948_6

Ross Products Division, Abbott Laboratories (Columbus, OH)

Alimentum Liquid
Ensure Products
Isomil Formulas
Jevity Products
Similac Formulas
Osmolite Products
Pedialyte Oral Rehydration
Pediasure Formulas
Similac Formulas

I don't know how old those product statements are so you might want to check the company's website just to be sure. Good luck and I hope you feel better!

Courtney

#7 AshleyE

AshleyE

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:46 PM

I know that Ensure is gluten free, it says so on the label. BUT it has tons of soy in it and started making me sick after drinking it for a couple of days, and I don't have a soy intolerance (that I know of). So maybe look into something else that doesn't rely so much on soy protein.

Hope this helps.
Gluten free since 6/1/06

#8 Anne AMP

Anne AMP

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:47 PM

Problem is I am unable to keep any foods from coming out in the form of D. Also, I cannot eat corn, rice or any soy, eggs or milk products. Does Ensure have any of those in them.

That list is great. I'm going to add it to my favorites. Thanks

#9 tracey*

tracey*

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:54 PM

For dehydration, I've been drinking Gatorade as it's gluten free (here in Australia at least). I don't think it has corn/soy/dairy in it either. I have a hard time getting enough water down

I bought pedialyte (or the equiv. here) but I haven't had to use it yet because I'm feeling better already. The chemist said that it was gluten free, but I'm not sure about corn/soy/dairy etc..

If you are severly dehyrdated, you need to get to a doctor asap. Dehydration is no joke and I don't think pedialyte would help enough at that stage.
wheat free & yeast free since may '06
also lactose intolerant

#10 Anne AMP

Anne AMP

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:04 PM

For dehydration, I've been drinking Gatorade as it's gluten free (here in Australia at least). I don't think it has corn/soy/dairy in it either. I have a hard time getting enough water down

I bought pedialyte (or the equiv. here) but I haven't had to use it yet because I'm feeling better already. The chemist said that it was gluten free, but I'm not sure about corn/soy/dairy etc..

If you are severly dehyrdated, you need to get to a doctor asap. Dehydration is no joke and I don't think pedialyte would help enough at that stage.

I've been to the hospital emergency room 3 times in the last week and they give me IV solution and I wonder if the IV solution has anything that would make me ill. My doctor comes back tomorrow and I have an appointment. My GI appointment is still one week away (next Monday) and can't get in anytime sooner as I am a new patient. I'll call the pharmacy (chemist) and see if pedialyte is ok. Thanks

#11 par18

par18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:15 PM

Anne,

Are you or have you gone gluten free or are you waiting to see GI first?

Tom

#12 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:42 PM

Alot of ensure is gluten free..I used to drink the butter pecan chilled for extra calories
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#13 Anne AMP

Anne AMP

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:36 PM

Anne,

Are you or have you gone gluten free or are you waiting to see GI first?

Tom

Sorry. Was resting. Yes, I stopped gluten exactly 2 weeks ago and saw some improvement in dizziness and upset stomach, but my bowels contined to get worse. Now I'm really bad with D and weight loss.

#14 tracey*

tracey*

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:24 PM

I've been to the hospital emergency room 3 times in the last week and they give me IV solution and I wonder if the IV solution has anything that would make me ill. My doctor comes back tomorrow and I have an appointment. My GI appointment is still one week away (next Monday) and can't get in anytime sooner as I am a new patient. I'll call the pharmacy (chemist) and see if pedialyte is ok. Thanks

Did you ask what was in the IV? You gotta make sure to do that with anything and everything that goes into your body - even if it's at the hospital, they won't know unless you ask them sometimes :s It's like if you're allergic to penicilin and they give it to you because you don't have an allergy alert tag or can't tell them.. Not good!
wheat free & yeast free since may '06
also lactose intolerant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: