Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Other Causes For Flattened/blunting Of Villi?

• Please log in to reply

24 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:03 PM

I have thought of this often. With a possitive dx with endoscope, I am curious about other possible causes of flatten/blunting of villi. There MUST be other causes other than a gluten intollerance. I have tried to do some research, but found nothing.

I have had a very acid stomach for as long as I can remember. During stress periods, it does get worse. Is it possible that severe stomach acid entering into the small intestine could cause the blunting and flattening of the villi. Perhaps it's not Celiac? :huh:

This makes sense to me. Excess acid burning it's way throught my system.

I have been without my Aciphex for several days and I'd dying here, can't breath, can't eat and look like I'm about to give birth. :huh:

Any thoughts here.

Lisa
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:58 PM

mm
Lisa

#3 Shalia

Shalia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:01 PM

I have thought of this often. With a possitive dx with endoscope, I am curious about other possible causes of flatten/blunting of villi. There MUST be other causes other than a gluten intollerance. I have tried to do some research, but found nothing.

I have had a very acid stomach for as long as I can remember. During stress periods, it does get worse. Is it possible that severe stomach acid entering into the small intestine could cause the blunting and flattening of the villi. Perhaps it's not Celiac? :huh:

This makes sense to me. Excess acid burning it's way throught my system.

I have been without my Aciphex for several days and I'd dying here, can't breath, can't eat and look like I'm about to give birth. :huh:

Any thoughts here.

Lisa

Someone around here, I think it's Andrea, has an article about how soy intolerance can blunt villi like Celiac can.

Other than that, I know nothing.

#4 evie

evie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:15 PM

Someone around here, I think it's Andrea, has an article about how soy intolerance can blunt villi like Celiac can.

Other than that, I know nothing.

I believe milk products can also do that. I have been finding that the hard way so am staying away for awhile. Luck to you!! evie

#5 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:49 PM

I believe milk products can also do that. I have been finding that the hard way so am staying away for awhile. Luck to you!! evie

Hi evie :)

I was going to post the same thing, that somewhere at sometime on the board, I thought, there was a post about dairy/casein's ability to permanently damge the intestinal lining. Not sure about details though?

Am interested to hear others thoughts/info.

#6 Guest_Robbin_*

Guest_Robbin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:50 PM

:) Hi! So sorry you are suffering. I agree with evie, there was some thread some time ago with the links to studies regarding casein intolerance causing blunting as well. I get the same symptoms from all three-gluten, soy, & dairy.

#7 LKelly8

LKelly8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:24 PM

Here's the Merck Manual on malabsorbtion syndromes.

Notice this is the old edition - under celiac it lists prelavence in the US to be 1 in 5000! (The updated version should be online Oct 14.)

I have a Merck Manual from the 1950s, it's so bad it's funny.

#8 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:29 PM

Here's the Merck Manual on malabsorbtion syndromes.

Kelly, thanks, going to bumpt it up. so I can read it n the am.
Lisa

#9 Simply_V

Simply_V

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:34 PM

I did a google search for "intestinal villi damage cause" and found several sites talking about paracites, viral infections, and bacterial infections.

However, the most interesting was this
http://www.badgut.co.....eliac Disease

Which states "Gluten triggers an abnormal immune response and causes the villi of the small intestine to become flattened and altered."

Along that lines, it is possible that anything someone is allergic to.. can cause an abnormal immune response which would cause intestinal damage. Which honestly helps explain a theory I've had about corn for a while now. Anyway.. hope that helps.
V
Severe airborne allergies since childhood. Was on constant antihisamines with behavior issues. Digestion issues started noticably around 1985.
1992 IBS diagnosis.
2004 Corn allergy - through diet discovery.
2005 RAST negative to all food allergies. High cholesterol diagnosed as PCOS.
2006 Immunolabs ELISA and IgE assay:
IgE to Corn, Milk, Eggs, & White Bean.
IgG to peppers, blk/wt pepper, beans, almonds, yeasts.
Neg. to Celiac, gluten, etc. High IgA level.
2008 No longer considered as having PCOS, or associated risks.

Currently avoiding corn, eggs, cow & goat milk, all beans (cept some soy derivatives & peanut oil), cruciferous veggies, onions/garlic, carrots/celery, anything bilberry/cranberry/blueberry, peppers, and anything remotely corn derived, corntaminated.

Currently off all allergy medications for airborne allergies and breathing fine.

#10 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:51 PM

According to the book, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall, "The flattened or blunted intestinal surface has been reported in innumerable disease states: infectious heptitis, ulcerative colitis, parasitic infections of the intestine including various types of worms and one-celled parasites, kwashiorkor, soy protein intolerance, intolerance to cow's milk protein, intractable diarrhea of infancy, Chron's disease, and bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine".
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#11 lindalee

lindalee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:10 PM

Lisa, have you tried eating more alkaline foods? Yogurt? These types fight the beasts. They adore sugar.

:)
Lee

#12 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:05 AM

According to the book, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall, "The flattened ot blunted intestinal surface has been reported in innumerable disease states: infectious heptitis, ulcerative colitis, parasitic infections of the intestine including various types of worms and one-celled parasites, kwashiorkor, soy protein intolerance, intolerance to cow's milk protein, intractable diarrhea of infancy, Chron's disease, and bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine".

Thanks for posting this CarrieFaith, very informative quote.

#13 chrissy

chrissy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:09 AM

if all this is true----then doesn't this mean that an intestinal biopsy isn't really the "gold standard" for diagnosing celiac?
Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005
11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005
17 year old son with celiac gene

#14 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:21 AM

if all this is true----then doesn't this mean that an intestinal biopsy isn't really the "gold standard" for diagnosing celiac?

Good point!!
I knew that casein intolerance could blunt the villi,but I thought only in very young children.
Very interesting!!
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#15 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:27 PM

I think that an intestinal biopsy should be complemented by a celiac disease blood test or tests. There are also other tests that could be done such as the celiac disease gene test and the fecal fat test.

My above quote is on page 41 of the book.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: