8 replies to this topic

#1 hannahsue01

hannahsue01

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:21 AM

We always used cream a chicken soup in a number of meals. I looked at the grocery store with no luck of finding any that was gulten free. We have a section in one grocery store that has gluten free soups such as tomatoe but not what I was looking for. Does anyone know of any brands (mainstream brands would be helpfull) if there are any. Or maybe a way to make it? Thanks.
Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:24 AM

I've never found one. But I am dairy-free too, so that limits me more. When I need something like cream of chicken soup, I make a gravy with chicken broth and rice flour and use that. It usually works out okay.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#3 chrissy

chrissy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:32 AM

health valley makes a gluten free cream of chicken soup. it is not condensed, so i thicken it with cornstarch when i use it.
Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005
11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005
17 year old son with celiac gene

#4 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:30 PM

I have a couple recipes that call for Cream of xx soup. I've been making my own .

3T. butter or oil
3T. flour blend
1 1/4c. chicken broth (or milk if you can)
salt, pepper

Melt butter/oil in saucepan. Stir in flourand seasonings. Cook over medium heat until bubbly. Add liquid slowly, stirring with whisk to get rid of lumps. Cook until thick.

Makes 1 cup or equivalent to 1 can of condensed soup.
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

#5 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:07 PM

When I went gluten-free I thought I would have to throw out all of our favorite recipes that had soup in it. I found this website for gluten-free cream of anything. http://www.gfutah.or...Cream Soup.html

The texture and consistency is as close as I have come to the "real" thing. It is very easy to make (not as easy as opening a can, but those days are over).

Hez

#6 kaciemarie

kaciemarie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:18 AM

I use Lipton Cup o Soup - Cream of Chicken soup. It is a mix, so you can add milk, water or even soy, rice or almond milk. It has been an amazing addition to my recipes and not to mention so much easier than making my own "cream sauce" whenever I need it. I hope this helps!!

#7 BabySnooks

BabySnooks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:04 AM

We always used cream a chicken soup in a number of meals. I looked at the grocery store with no luck of finding any that was gulten free. We have a section in one grocery store that has gluten free soups such as tomatoe but not what I was looking for. Does anyone know of any brands (mainstream brands would be helpfull) if there are any. Or maybe a way to make it? Thanks.

Hi Hannah,

I don't know of any canned, but I use Lipton Cup-A-Soup in Cream of Chicken. Lipton's other gluten-free cup-a-soup is cream of tomato.

Sharon
[size=3]BabySnooks
Diagnosed with celiac disease July 8, 2005 by endoscopy and colonoscopy.
Rediagnosed with Celiac Sprue August, 2006 with positive duodenal and small bowel biopsies.

#8 Suzie

Suzie

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:11 AM

This sounds so good!! But, not being a very good "Improviser", I'd be interested to know how you make your sauce. I tried cooking with it like the canned version and it just went to liquid with no thickening. I'd love to see a couple of recipes you have if you don't mind sharing.
Sue

I use Lipton Cup o Soup - Cream of Chicken soup. It is a mix, so you can add milk, water or even soy, rice or almond milk. It has been an amazing addition to my recipes and not to mention so much easier than making my own "cream sauce" whenever I need it. I hope this helps!!

#9 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 06:13 PM

I found a Creamy Chicken with Wild Rice soup by Progresso that seems to be gluten free. I haven't tried it yet but I read the ingredients and I think it's ok. Not sure you could use it for cooking because of the rice but might not be a bad addition to a recipe.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: