8 replies to this topic

#1 kaciemarie

kaciemarie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:21 AM

Does anyone know if Hidden Valley has jumped on the celiac bandwagon yet? I love their ranch and I want it!!! Does anyone know the status???
Thank you!!
Kacie

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AmandaD

AmandaD

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:41 AM

I'm pretty sure it's not okay. I just got something from Clan Thompson on it.
Amanda
Positive TTG 9/05
Positive endoscopy 9/05
Doing well with "Sprue"

#3 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:05 AM

Even though the ingredients look okay it is not gluten-free. It is not as good but Kraft makes a ranch dressing and premade dip that is safe.

Hez

#4 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:08 PM

What I was told by Hidden Valley 2-3 years ago was that the starch they use can vary all the time, because they get whatever is cheapest with their distributor at any given time, so sometimes it is wheat starch, and they do not consider their Ranch to be gluten free. I don't think they have any plans to change this, since it is their standard method and it does not effect their recipe. I did wonder why their label didn't change though when the labeling law went into effect. Shouldn't they have to disclose that there is wheat starch in the products?

Anyhow, we don't get it, but we do still miss it. My daughter no longer likes salad because she can't have Hidden Valley Ranch...
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#5 kaciemarie

kaciemarie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:17 AM

So, I emailed Hidden Valley and this is the response that I got from them today... sounds like we can have it now!!! What do you think???

"Thank you for contacting us about HV Full Cal Bottled Salad Dressing - Original Ranch. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers. The Modified Food Starch is derived from corn and we use white vinegar is our products. Our ingredient panel does list any gluten or any gluten containing ingredients. For the most accurate source of information please check the back of the ingredient panel for every purchase as ingredients may change. "

#6 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:52 AM

When I called them on the phone a few weeks ago the lady said that there can be trace amounts of gluten and they don't consider it to be gluten-free. There have been a couple times where I ate a little bit of it very tentatively (because there isn't any gluten listed) and had no problems, but then tried it another time and got sick from it. What gf4life said about the starches varying makes the most sense to me as to why I've had different reactions to it. Now I avoid it just because I don't want to risk it. I'm hoping (okay praying...) that someday it will be gluten-free.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#7 kaciemarie

kaciemarie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:21 AM

Well, I had Hidden Valley Ranch last night and I felt completely fine! I'm so excited!!!

#8 kduggan

kduggan

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:25 PM

i called the 1800 number on the back of some hidden valley ranch and they said it was gluten free but talk to a nutritionist about cross contaminantion (this lady went on forever, i was like i just want a yes or no answer, i know what celiac is! haha) she also said that they would clearly label wheat on the label...i dont know how trustwrothy this info was but i bought it anyway cuz i love broccoli and ranch dressing!!!

#9 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:48 PM

Everything I've read said it's not worth the risk - and you can't really go by symtpoms, since not everyone will always get symptoms. You can always make your own.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: