37 replies to this topic

#31 almostnrn

almostnrn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:15 PM

Thank you all for your encouragement and support.

Yesterday was a nightmare, I feel weak and tired to begin with but I went grocery shopping and by the time I got thru reading every single label on every product I bought I was exhausted and a wreck physically and emotionally and at times even wanted to cry...I know this pity party will be over some day but right now it is in full blown hats and horns party mode. I have never spent so much time in a grocery store in my life. My husband of 45 years is a doll, he is willing to help me cook, eat whatever I can eat and even re-reads the labels for me in case I missed something on the first reading, good thing I kept him all these years.

I am really having a problem with what to eat for breakfast...I don't want to find out that my cholesterol is sky high in a few months, so even though I love them, I can't eat eggs every morning as a easy, quick breakfast. I have never eaten grits in my life, just the thought of them is unpleasant, but I guess you have to do what you have to do...or maybe one of you angels out there will tell me what you eat for breakfast. Sissy

Sissy, I can totally feel your pain, I've been there. At first walking through a grocery store is horrible because there are so many things you feel like you can't eat. I can't tell you how many times I walked out of a store and sat in my car wanting to just cry. IT DOES GET BETTER!!! There are lots of regular brands out there that are ok for us to eat and this site is a WONDERFUL resource. I am still learning of things I never knew were safe until now. If you like cereal for breakfast EnviroKidz is the brand I prefer...Amazon Crunch to be specific. They taste like frosted flakes. They have several other kinds that are all clearly marked Gluten Free on the front of the box. One is like Kix, one like cocoa krispies...but they taste good which at this point in the game you can really appreciate. Grits are good but if you get the instant ones you have to use the plain...buttered have gluten in them as far as I can remember. I hope this helps you a little, you will be in my thoughts.

Also, beware of "Wheat Free" foods that are passed off as Gluten Free - they may indeed be free of wheat, but may very well contain barley malt or some other gluten.

Wonderful point about the Wheat Free vs. Gluten Free!!! I can't believe I didn't think to mention that. These two items are often put together in health food stores also so be sure to look for the gluten-free on the labeling.
Amy

Diagnosed by biopsy with DH August 2005
Diagnosed with hypo-thyroidism December 2005
Diagnosed by biopsy with Celiac July 2006

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Sissy

Sissy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:40 PM

I learned the wheat free is not gluten free lesson the hard way...I found these wonderful gooey wheat free cookies in the gluten free area of our tiny local health food store, Barbara's raspberry fig bars. My husband and I ate several of them...what a mistake...within an hour I was in misery and when I checked the label there was indeed gluten. I will try hard not to make that mistake again. So I guess Celiacs is an ongoing learning process. I found Amanda's Mommy's Blog on this site and it has been a wonderful source of information and would like to thank those who have spent so much time and done the research to provide such wonderful lists. Sissy

#33 brendygirl

brendygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:16 PM

I made a GREAT oven-baked pancake with apples from the betty crocker cookbook. I just substituted the flour for rice and tapioca flour. it was FABULOUS. I also cook LOTS of pancakes (I thaw frozen berries and put them inside them when I cook them) and freeze them for later use. The berries make them so flavorful that I don't even need syrup!
Also
I love Barbara's Corn Flakes. I add my own Raisin.
ALSO- be careful not eating gluten-free grains. I've read articles that show that celiacs often get vitamin deficiencies and related health issues and that we SHOULD eat the gluten-free bread and other gluten-free products because they are enriched with iron and other vitamins we tend to lack.

Gluten Free since November 2005

"If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.." ---Ed Polish

#34 Ezzeryen

Ezzeryen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

Hello I'm new to the board and only been told I have celiac 2 days but from read the posts on here people talk about night sweats. My question is night sweats coz of the celiac and if yes I finely know why I have them

#35 Ezzeryen

Ezzeryen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

Sissy I can feel your pain new to it and all the learn I have to do now makes it hard

#36 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

Ezzeryn, welcome to the board. This thread is from 2006, and most of the posters aren't active here anymore. I would suggest you do a search here for "night sweats"--there have been several threads on it in the past. You also might begin your own thread on the subject. Let us know if you need help :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#37 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Eggs are good for cholesteral levels. They contain lecithin which raises the good cholesterol and lowers the bad, I believe. I don't feel shy about eggs any more. Not that you have to, but look into it if you still like eggs! I suffered along while also and tried to eat very healthy. I didn't realize the whole grain breads I was downing to get enough B vitamins were counter productive.

Get Well.

#38 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Eggs are good for cholesteral levels. They contain lecithin which raises the good cholesterol and lowers the bad, I believe. I don't feel shy about eggs any more. Not that you have to, but look into it if you still like eggs! I suffered along while also and tried to eat very healthy. I didn't realize the whole grain breads I was downing to get enough B vitamins were counter productive.

Get Well.

Like Patti said, your talking to people who haven't been on here in years.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: