This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Coping With Gluten Intolerance

BamBam

BamBam Community Regular

Hello, I am new to the boards and fairly new to learning about gluten intolerance. After 15 years of tests and finding nothing that is causing my diarrhea/constipation/abdominal pain etc, a friend of mine suggested that I may be gluten intolerant awhile back. It is fairly easy to give up the big stuff, bread, rolls, crackers, donuts etc. Where I am having problems is all the little extra ingredients in things. For instance tonight I had Kraft 1000 Island Dressing on my salad, was that good or bad? I need a little kick in the pants to know and learn more about this. I have been battling this sickness for close to 15 years, I do feel better when I don't eat wheat, but like I said above, I am not paying enough attention to the little things. Can I get some advice from some of you that know what it is all about? I've read a lot of the posts lately and feel that I am on to something here, that I am truly gluten intolerant. I feel really good when I don't eat wheat. I am also lactose intolerant. So basically what do I need to watch for on condiments or in canned items like soup? I understand the different flours and I even got a Betty Hageman recipe book that has some interesting stuff in it. Please give me some tips on what to watch out for. Thanks in advance for your help. I am looking forward to a healthier and less stressed life!!

BamBam

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Alexolua Explorer

I'll try to answer your question, and welcome to the boards!

For instance tonight I had Kraft 1000 Island Dressing on my salad, was that good or bad?

I tried looking around on the web, couldn't find anything saying it was gluten and dairy free. So, I'd assume it isn't. Calling the company would be the best way to find out. Someone else here might know too.

I need a little kick in the pants to know and learn more about this.

How's this for a kick. Even if you aren't feeling a reaction for the little stuff, you can still be causing your body damage.

Do you know for sure you are lactose intolerant? Have you been tested, or tried any products to help with lactose intolerance and had them work? I ask, because if you are saying so because you react to milk, it means you could be allergic to a milk protien, like casien, which is different than lactose.

I'm still new to the diet as well, so not an expert. Only been 6 weeks now. But if you want to find products that are Dairy Free and Gluten free, this website can be quite helpful: gfcfdiet.com

Hopefully some of this helped!

tbell48 Newbie

You must read every label of items you pick up. If it says Wheat flour, wheat starch, rye, malt, barley or undistilled vinegar-PUT IT BACK ON THE SHELVE.

If you become used to using a product-recheck it every 3 months, as the manufacturers will change where they get their products.

I don't know if you have a Hy-Vee in your area, but they have a very good list of Gluten-Free foods. I am sure any of the bigger groceries have the same thing. The University of Iowa puts out a booklet of Gluten-Free foods and what to avoid. And contacting the companies always works. I spent days on the computer doing this!

Also contact a health food store in your area-they are always very helpful.

When you are still eating Gluten-you are defeating yourself, and braking down your immune system, which will only lead to trouble down the road for you. My Mother and baby Sister both died from cancer, because they didn't know they had Celiac disease. Hopefully, with my diagnoises I will be able to spare my family, and my generations to come unneeded medical worrys. Since my diagnois, my Daughter and Granddaughter have both tested positive.

Best of luck to you

Theresa

celiac3270 Collaborator

First step: know what ingredients to avoid. There's a list on the site (thorough list) that tells you what ingredients are bad. Contrary to the impression one might get, gluten isn't just looking at the label to see if it has "wheat", "rye", "barley" or "oats". Here's the list: https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-59104125314.5e....anything that doesn't say "gluten-free" on the package and contains natural or artifical flavors could contain gluten.....therefore, you need to call the company to find out if most mainstream products are gluten-free.

Most important, DO NOT give up--it's difficult at times, but you'll be helping yourself in the long run. Also, DO NOT cheat--the little satisfaction you get from eating a cookie or piece of bread will get you feeling sick and will mush up your intestines -- it's not worth it -- every crumb matters.

You might have celiac disease. If you do have it and do not follow this diet as well as you can, you could end up with malnutrition, osteoporosis, arthritis, and cancers. If you are willing to restrict your diet you could avoid not only the short-term pains, but the long-term complications that could cut years from your life. This disease doesn't require medicines and pills and surgery to deal with.....and it can be dealt with--it's all a matter of the will and desire you have to be healthy.

-celiac3270

BamBam Community Regular

Are there companies that make small packages of gluten free dressings and other condiments? Those would be nice to have to take with to restaurants. Last night I ate out, and something was wrong, all bloated and gassy today. Do you know of anything like that out there?

BamBam

scudderkidwell Rookie

Well, you can do what I do. I have a small lunch bag that looks more like a purse that I take with me when I know we're going out to eat. In it I put small containers of my husbands favorite salad dressing, Butter (Lactose Free), a couple of rolls, Ketsup and Mustard if he needs it. To keep things cool, I'll put in a small ice pack. This really comes in handy when we're out and about shopping. I'll also use the lunch bag to pack snack foods. Hope this helps. :D

Wife of a Celiac, Jean

crc0622 Apprentice

BamBam:

Annie's has small packets you can carry in your purse - you can get them at the Gluten Free Trading Company - web site is www.foodforceliacs.com.

A lot of Kraft dressings are gluten-free. Kraft is a company which will always list any gluten source clearly on the label, so you don't have to wonder. If you don't see wheat, barley, rye, oats, then it's okay. Wish more were like that.

Celeste

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rattaway Newbie

Welcome to the board all newbies. I am still a newbie too I think. I also want to add that you should also be wary of Modified food starches. These can sometimes be modified from wheat. Best Wishes, Rian

Archived