This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ctv News Calgary

Rusla

Rusla Enthusiast

I thought I should post it on here for any in and around the Calgary area. CTV news is doing a piece on Celiac Awareness month. They interviewed "The Split" restaurant, "Earth's Oven" bakery and a few other places and people including myself for this. I am not sure when it is being aired it could be any night from 5 PM till 6:45 PM.

Unfortunately I was in the throws of a minor DH outbreak during the filming. So, I will look charming on tv.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rinne Apprentice

That's great, I'll be in Calgary next week, any other recommendations for restaurants. Is this a local program, I wonder if I can see here in Manitoba?

I have no idea how huge Calgary is, the last time I was there was thirty years ago and I thought it vast then. LOL I hear it has grown. I'll be staying in the northwest quandrant of the city, if that makes a difference as I won't have a car.

Please excuse thread drift.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Anyone with a satellite dish (in Canada) can watch any of the CTV affiliates. The news depends on what time it is where you are. CTV Calgary has a two hour block of news between 5-7pm Mountain time. There's one from 5-5:30 a slightly different cast from 5:30 - 6pm and then the big news is from 6-7pm. Sports starts around 5:50 so it will be on before then.

There may be a little snippet on each show. Depends on how the producers do the lineup. At 5pm they might have a v/o-clip, then a 2 minute story at 5:30 then a six maybe Rusla's interview with a promo for 6:30 when they'll have a glimpse of restaurants/bakeries to get gluten-free food at. (Have you figured out I work for CTV news yet?)

Thanks, Rusla for doing the interview. Sage asked me, but I sort of thought with Ty's boring symptoms we wouldn't make for a very interesting interview.

By the way, Good Morning Canada is on Saturday (and maybe Sunday) mornings, so the story might run again then. GMC is a two hour "week in review" type show - runs for two hours. I think it comes on around 9 a.m.

Rusla Enthusiast

Thanks for recommending me Linda. I hope it helps others and wakes up the government and the doctors. If one person finds out sooner and without as much agony as what some of us have gone through.

Rinne:

Prepare for culture shock. There is a chinese restaurant in the NW across from the Foothills Hospital if you tell him you can't have wheat, soy sauce etc, everything has to be clean he will recommend things you can eat and I have never been glutened there.

The Split restaurant is the gluten-free restaurant and it is on Elbow Dr. If you need to find out how to get there if you Pm me and tell me where you will be staying I will tell you how to get there.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

:lol: It's funny you should mention the Chinese restaurant. I was talking to a lady after school whose sister has celiac and gets quite sick if she gets any gluten by mistake. They went to that restaurant on the weekend, they all ordered gluten-free food, and the sister didn't get sick. Then she mentioned that she ran into a high school friend of hers whose daughter has celiac and she's written a book and has a website. Dr. Corrie Materie. I had to laugh because when a guy at work found out Ty had celiac, he said the lady who used to live in his house had a daughter with celiac...Dr. Corrie Materie. Small world. I haven't read her book, but she does have an excerpt and some recipes on the internet. Here's a link. Open Original Shared Link

And...a dad of someone at our school is writing a celiac cookbook. The mom of a gluten-free girl in Ty's class told me it's at the publishers and should be out by Christmas. She was a test baker and says the pizza and french bread are amazing. I don't know the guy's name. Brent Something. As soon as I know, I'll let everyone here know.

Rusla Enthusiast

Cool, that would be great.

When I was in Canmore last weekend they had a store there called Nutter's, it had the biggest gluten-free section I had ever seen and they had some frozen Entree's called "Seeds of Change" I cannot find those here.

I am hoping that when they air the show that it will get more restaurants out there to get on the bandwagon and start coming up with gluten-free foods. They eliminate many of us by not being gluten-free.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I didn't realize that the interviews would be this week! I hope I get to see it! I may stop at that store in Canmore! Has anyone had CC issues with Split. I haven't and I've eaten there a few times.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2kids4me Contributor
When I was in Canmore last weekend they had a store there called Nutter's

There is a Nutters in Okotoks too, they recently expanded their selection of gluten-free food. They carry the kinnickinnick brand muffins, dry mixes, and cinamon buns plus the pastato mac and cheese - my kids love that as a treat. We do have TerraCotto in Nanton but ds loves the cinnamon buns and dd loves the pizza crusts from kinnickinnick - I can never spell that word fast!! :huh:

I am glad they are doing interviews etc about celiac, if anyone gets heads up about when they air the segment, let me know.

skoki-mom Explorer

I'll have to watch for you Rusla!

rinne, I live in the NW. There is a Chianti's at Crowfoot Crossing mall, as well as an Outback, Tony Roma's and Joey Tomato's. I'm asymptomatic, so I really can't comment on CC at any of these places, but they are the places I go to around here. I really need to get over to Hi-Ball, do they do a gluten-free ginger beef?

rinne Apprentice

Thanks Rusla, the Chinese restaurant sounds great and I haven't had any Chinese food in a long time. I will PM you when I am not so sleepy and can get the address of where I will be.

Felidae Enthusiast
When I was in Canmore last weekend they had a store there called Nutter's, it had the biggest gluten-free section I had ever seen and they had some frozen Entree's called "Seeds of Change" I cannot find those here.

I've been there many times and it sure is a great store. There's a Nutter's in Red Deer too, right off the highway.

Rusla Enthusiast
I'll have to watch for you Rusla!

rinne, I live in the NW. There is a Chianti's at Crowfoot Crossing mall, as well as an Outback, Tony Roma's and Joey Tomato's. I'm asymptomatic, so I really can't comment on CC at any of these places, but they are the places I go to around here. I really need to get over to Hi-Ball, do they do a gluten-free ginger beef?

Unfortunately their ginger beef/chicken is not gluten-free. There is another restaurant in the NW on about 4 st and 20 Ave. NW. I believe, the Silver Inn and they make their ginger/beef chicken with cornstarch. I have yet to go eat there since being gluten-free.

Heater Rookie

I live in Canmore, and always go to Nutters. It's really good. They're doing renovations now to open up in a bigger store (which hopefully means more stuff), so their supply might be somewhat limited for the next while, but they still have quite a bit.

If you're in town, and want to go somewhere good for dinner, go to the Quarry downtown. I've eaten there quite a few times and haven't had any problems. They don't have a specific gluten free menu, but the chefs are really good and know quite a bit about it.

I didn't realize that the interviews would be this week! I hope I get to see it! I may stop at that store in Canmore! Has anyone had CC issues with Split. I haven't and I've eaten there a few times.
Rusla Enthusiast
I live in Canmore, and always go to Nutters. It's really good. They're doing renovations now to open up in a bigger store (which hopefully means more stuff), so their supply might be somewhat limited for the next while, but they still have quite a bit.

If you're in town, and want to go somewhere good for dinner, go to the Quarry downtown. I've eaten there quite a few times and haven't had any problems. They don't have a specific gluten free menu, but the chefs are really good and know quite a bit about it.

That is great to know about the Quarry, I will remember that name. Is that the restaurant that is in an old gray and white house building on the corner?

Now, is anyone going to the Convention on October 28th here in Calgary?

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Not me. Hockey and then work.

Looks like the story might be on today. There's a script on the website, but no video attached yet.

Open Original Shared Link

4th item: Celiac disease is more common than we think.

Rusla Enthusiast

They are doing the piece right now and boy do I look horrible.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Shoot. I was outside on the deck painting trim. I'll watch it tonight at work. Good thing I have connections. :P I see in the script it doesn't have you quoted as saying you get DH. <_< I am pleased it mentions creams, shampoos and soy sauce.

Rusla Enthusiast
Shoot. I was outside on the deck painting trim. I'll watch it tonight at work. Good thing I have connections. :P I see in the script it doesn't have you quoted as saying you get DH. <_< I am pleased it mentions creams, shampoos and soy sauce.

Yeah that was a pretty fast and dirty cut. They never mentioned oats or malt either, they didn't have me saying I get horrible pain, dh , pernicious anemia, etc. They also never put in the fact that I said there needs to be awareness on all levels.

It needs to be a bigger spot hopefully some day. At least they got the association, split and some of our foods on there. My sister has a friend who always had back problems, his very astute doctor figured out it was Celiac.

Becka85 Newbie
Yeah that was a pretty fast and dirty cut. They never mentioned oats or malt either

Do oats bother you? I've read so many contradicting things about oats. I've heard that oats are on the bad list because of possible contamination not because they actually contain gluten. Apparently quite a few celiacs can tolerate oats. But I've also read that amaranth, quinoa and buckwheat may be cross contaminated as well. I've been eating quinoa on a regular basis and it hasn't bothered me but I'm afraid to try oats without more information. (I need to find more breakfast food so I've been considering trying a bowl of oatmeal :blink: )

Also, I've kinda been out of the loop for awhile due to an overwhelming school and work load, so does anyone have more info on the Oct. 28th convention?

Thanks!

Heater Rookie

Nope, I think the gray and white one is the Blue House Cafe. I've never eaten there.

The Quarry is probably about half a block down towards the other end of Main Street (#718 Main St).

Unfortunately I missed your interview on TV. Do you know if there's a link to it online? I looked but didn't see one.

That is great to know about the Quarry, I will remember that name. Is that the restaurant that is in an old gray and white house building on the corner?

Now, is anyone going to the Convention on October 28th here in Calgary?

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

There's no viz on the link, just the copy. I would have approached the story differently, but I live it through Ty. It sort of made Celiac sound like it's no big whoop, but it is. I would have touched on the inconvenience of it and the label reading and unexpected places for gluten to be...example Twizzlers, Smarties, Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes, salad dressing...that sort of thing. But I'm a director, not a reporter.

The story was only a minute forty, so not very long to convey all the info everyone would want. I think it's unfortunate that she didn't mention how eating at a mainstream restaurant is tricky and not everyone can eat at Splitt. No kids allowed for example. I would also have mentioned no cure and the only treatment is a gluten-free diet for life.

Still, I'm glad the story got on the air, she also mentioned the Calgary conference at the end of the month.

Felidae Enthusiast
Nope, I think the gray and white one is the Blue House Cafe. I've never eaten there.

The Quarry is probably about half a block down towards the other end of Main Street (#718 Main St).

To add to the Canmore dining scene, I ate at the vegetarian restaurant diagonally across from Nutters, called Sun... something. It was delicious and I did not get sick.

Rusla Enthusiast
There's no viz on the link, just the copy. I would have approached the story differently, but I live it through Ty. It sort of made Celiac sound like it's no big whoop, but it is. I would have touched on the inconvenience of it and the label reading and unexpected places for gluten to be...example Twizzlers, Smarties, Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes, salad dressing...that sort of thing. But I'm a director, not a reporter.

The story was only a minute forty, so not very long to convey all the info everyone would want. I think it's unfortunate that she didn't mention how eating at a mainstream restaurant is tricky and not everyone can eat at Splitt. No kids allowed for example. I would also have mentioned no cure and the only treatment is a gluten-free diet for life.

Still, I'm glad the story got on the air, she also mentioned the Calgary conference at the end of the month.

I am with you on this. I told them when they came the interview that there is no cure, eating anywhere is tricky. I gave them an extensive list of symptoms that I have but of course most end on the cutting room floor. I believe it should have been at least five minutes long. They always seem to give much more time to things other allergies or conditions. This in itself shows there needs to be more awareness.

Archived