This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Endoscopy...

clockworkjoce

clockworkjoce Newbie

i've been doing some minor research into endoscopies, and i have a question for those who have had them for celiac disease. the description states that the procedure is 'minimally' invasive and does 'not have to be preformed through a natural opening', which isn't exactly descriptive. so, just to simplify, how and where do they do it? and, was the experience bad, good, or neither?

thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BostonCeliac Apprentice
i've been doing some minor research into endoscopies, and i have a question for those who have had them for celiac disease. the description states that the procedure is 'minimally' invasive and does 'not have to be preformed through a natural opening', which isn't exactly descriptive. so, just to simplify, how and where do they do it? and, was the experience bad, good, or neither?

thanks.

hey -- not sure exactly that line "not have to be performed through a natural opening" means -- weird.

I had an endoscopy fairly recently, and it was the first "surgical" procedure I have ever had. I went into the hospital and my GI doc performed it - I had met with him prior to the procedure. Anyway, went in, was very hungry since you can't eat, and they took me in the room & gave me a saline IV to hydrate, then I went into another room with my doc & a nurse & she gave me a little bit of the anesthesia, then sprayed a horrible tasting spray in the back of my throat to numb it -- then more drugs in my IV -- and I remember having to turn on my side and them putting something in my mouth to keep it open -- then I woke up in a different room about an hour later! I guess the procedure took about 15-20 minutes - they stuck a tube down my throat, went down to inspect, took a few samples to biopsy in the duodenum region - and then I guess to took a nap for a while!

It was very easy. i was a little out of it for most of the day due to the anesthesia -- and had a slightly sore throat, but was fine and out at a party that evening!

I can vaguely remember coughing durning the endo - but that's it, I was nervous but the whole thing was quick & easy - and I was very glad I did it because it confirmed my celiac!!

Good luck & welcome to this board - it's an amazing resource for information and everyone here is EXTREMELY helpful & supportive!

2kids4me Contributor

Both kids had the endoscopy and I have assisted with its use in veterinary medicine.

It [an endoscope] is a flexible tube with a camera (uses fiberoptics), it is passed down the esophagus and into the stomach where samples can be taken at "antrum" [area near the inlet to the small intestine] and then it is passed further ino the small intestine where samples of the intestine are taken with a needle like instrument.

The samples are then processed in a lab where they look at the cells.

In celiac disease, the flattenen villi are obvious visually, they still take tissue samples so they can see if there are any signs of malignancy. Untreated celiac that has gone on for years can cause scarring as well.

An experienced GI would take multiple samples so that changes in the villi are not missed.

plantime Contributor

For my endo, the doc put a tube down my throat and through my stomach to the intestine. I did not feel like it was horribly invasive, no visible marks were left, and it was started and finished the same day, as outpatient at the hospital. I slept for several hours after I returned home, but had no soreness or tenderness. I know that samples were taken for biopsy, but I didn't hurt from it. I see no problem recommending the procedure to someone else that really wants to know. It was not scary to me, since the nurse had gone over with me what to expect.

dlp252 Apprentice

thanks.

Hum, not sure what the "not have to be performed through a natural opening" means, lol. I've had 3 endoscopes this year...each time I was sedated (I think technically I was awake, but the nurse said it was just enough to breathe, lol) and don't actually remember the procedure at all. After sedation (in my case I had an IV each of the 3 times), they feed a thin tube with a camera at the tip down your esophagus and into the stomach then upper intestine. As I said, I have no memory of the procedure itself, but the doctor showed me the tube/camera before he started, and I had some nice glossy color pictures as souveniers, lol. Afterwards I went into a "recovery" area where I was monitored until I woke up from the sedation. I had no discomfort at any time other than a VERY SLIGHT sore throat, and the pin prick from starting the IV.

happygirl Collaborator

its also not FULL anethesia (sp?) that they use, but a heavy sedation. (to the general person, it doesn't mean to differentiate, because you are "out"...but still)

I've had two endoscopies, plus a colonoscopy, a flex sigmoidoscopy, etc etc---they aren't bad, honestly.

AmandaD Community Regular

thanks.

My experience was great. Got an IV, they gave me some kind of amnesia drug, I woke up three hours later like nothing had happened. Doc told me everything looked great, but that we'd have to wait for the biopsy (which was positive for celiac).

Never even had a sore throat. I wouldn't think twice about putting my kids through it either, if they ever test positive for Celiac like I did. My docs were wonderful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

clockworkjoce Newbie

thanks everyone for replying. it doesn't sound so bad. i don't know, it's a big long word and a big long tube. what can i say, the little things freak me out sometimes... :)

Archived